Giveaway for The smallest flashlight in the world - What would you want in the way of features, size, etc ( winners picked)

(1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?
” Key chain light - always there when you have your keys, use for lighting keyholes and lighting your path.”
(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here.
” I have the Nitecore Tube. You will be hard-pressed to surpass this one. It is small, USB-rechargeable, 1 click for 1 lumen/2 clicks for 45 lumens, hold button for ramp up and down and mode memory. It also has a decent run time for the uses of a key chain light. All for less than $10!”
(3). What is the price range that you would want to spend, for a tiny light, with the features you would like?
” As stated above, less than $10.”
(4). What specific functions do you want, to fit into the price range you are looking at?
” It has to be very small to fit on a key chain (AAA size battery is much too large), rechargeable, easy to use and provide as much light as possible. You would have to best the Nitecore Tube in either price (for the same lumens) or lumens (for the same price) or both, a difficult task!”

(1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?

I would wear it around my neck on my ID lanyard to always have it handy to check the status of emergency equipment at work

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here

Wearable, lightweight

(3). What is the price range that you would want to spend, for a tiny light, with the features you would like?

Up to $20

(4). What specific functions do you want, to fit into the price range you are looking at?

It would be nice to have a micro-usb charging port… also, few or 1 mode.

1. Keychain or neck light.
2. I don’t have a light that I would consider to fit the smallest category. The smallest I have is Maratac AAA and the disadvantage with that light is PWM.
3. $10
4. High CRI and low voltage protection.

Can a light actually get smaller than a DQG Spy? That thing is insane! Gonna have to get one, one of these days, just because…

Edit: Shouldn’t have looked, simply shouldn’t have looked! Titanium DQG Spy and the little brass charger with an extra cell are on order now… :stuck_out_tongue:

Key chain, neck lace or pocket. EDC light

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you? if you have a small light, please share it here
DQG Spy Titanium
Advantages: easy to carry, always at hand and always ready to use
Disadvantages: none for me
Features: Small size and and light weight, two modes, NW

About 15 USD, may be up to 30 if it is made in titanium

Small size and and light weight, Nichia high CRI, TIR, high efficiency, 10180 battery, two modes, no strobe

Of course lights can be smaller than that. For 10180 Spy is just on the edge - you could even shave few mm from DQG Spy if it would be direct driven (no modes), no recessed LED. But that would make it less practical. You could use button battery and have still smaller light with 5mm LED - La Petite Killer is an example:

Source: DQG Spy 10180 titanium first impressions [picture heavy] - #11 by HKJ

but it’s not very bright. To have smallest flashlight in the world you would have to use smallest SMD LED and smallest battery or even capacitor. But would anyone want eg. 0,01 lm output for fraction of second? :wink:

1). If you could buy the smallest flashlight in the world, what would you use it for?

• Keychain light. I want an aluminum light small enough to fit on a key chain alongside my work keys. Should run on cheap button cells so I don’t have to buy a specialized cell/charger. Something similar to a Streamlight Nano in form factor instead of the typical cheaper plastic keychain lights. See this thread for an example of the sort of light I’m looking for: Smallest aluminum Twistie Ever..

• The smallest light I have is a Tank007 e09 which is a great light, but just a bit too large for keychain carry.

• Less than $3. A light like this would be scratched, lost, and generally abused. I wouldn’t carry a keychain light like this unless it was very inexpensive.

• Makes light. Hangs from a keychain. Twistie, switch. Threads tight enough that head doesn’t accidentally unscrew and let the light fall apart.

A finger ring or an earring.
I’m too old for nose rings.

Demonstration: take a coin cell and a decently bright 5mm LED, tape them together so it lights up.
Improve on that.

$15 sounds about right, $25 for a pair to be used on left and right.

[/quote]

Amber PC Rebel emitter, moonlight/low/medium, no strobe

Keychain

While there are smaller ones, I don’t see any point in going smaller than an AA or AAA (or 14500 or 10440) batteries. That way the batteries are still easy to replace. The feature I still want on a small flashlight is some sort of button. Whether it’s clicky or e-switch I just don’t want it to be a twisty.

$20-$30 as long as it is still bright

Non-twisty switch and at least two modes: super low, like 1 lumen, and turbo. If it’s a AA light I want at least 250 lumens. AAA at least 150.

1. Keychain.
2. Advantage: it’s small and light. Disadvantage: usually low run time.
3. $ 5 - $ 20
4. Nichia NW Hi-Cri, 3 modes (moonlight-low-high), no or high pwm, with optic, AAA & 10440 (no need too small), linear constant current driver, cut off voltage protection.

1. As keychain,
2. advantage is easy to carry, disadvantage Low runime
3. Somewhere around $15,
4. three modes hi-mid-lo.

1. Keychain light
2. Advantage: easy to carry, Disadvantage: low runtime
3. $15
4. Three modes (high, medium, & low)

Answer: Either a keychain light or pocket clipped into my back pocket. Everyday looking for things and showing my wife that it really does make sense to always have a flashlight on my person.

(2). If you have a very small light that you consider it as being in the smallest flashlight category, what are the advantages and disadvantages that you see with the light? What special features stand out that make it special to you?

Answer: I currently edc a Thrunite Ti3. I'm on my third pocket clip and this one is Loc-tited on now. So a strong clip is important, maybe one that is bonded to the light itself. Also minimal modes. Start out in moonlight and then to full. No strobe please.

Answer: No more than $15 USD

Answer: Twisty. Low of 1 lumen and high of around 50. Maybe medium mode of 25 lumens but no more modes than that. Takes 10440s. Waterproof.

(1). Keychain light

(2). Advantages are its small size
Disadvantages are lack of throw, low lumens and low battery life

(3). 15 CAD

(4). It should run on one NiMH AAA , have constant brightness, 150 lumens, low/med/high and SOS thats well hidden (10 quick on/offs, that kind of thing. Some hidden modes are easy to hit accidentally, they are terrible). I like clicky switches, but a lockout would be appreciated. Also bare metal is probably better, anodization does not stand a chance with keys.

Daily backup light or just at home light when wearing workout shorts.

My favorite small light I own is the Nitecore Tube. Its small and slim, light (in weight), has good brightness levels and battery life, rechargeable, and inexpensive. Main disadvantage rarely, it has come on in the pocket.

Depending on material, quality, led…I’d prefer something in the $10 range. Its going to be a backup light so don’t want to pay a lot.
But if its a good quality with decently powerful levels/led and high CRI, I won’t mind going up to $30.
If its anymore, I’d just use that money for larger lights. But for smallest size, I’d just mostly use for backup purpose so still prefer in the $10.

If really really small, than rechargable via microusb. One low/moonlight level and one medium (~50 lumens).

1. keychain light or pocket
2. advantage: it’s small and easy to carry; disadvantage: low run time on hi.
3. around $12-$15
4. small AA; two modes; hi 250lum. on Li-ion and AA 150lum. on hi; warm LED

1. I would use it as a keychain light
2. advantage: light, easy to carry disadvantage: battery is not replaceable
3. less than 10$
4. long runtime. two modes(low, medium)

I would use it as a necklace if it’s pretty and to find the key hole.

Advantages:

- it’s small and light weight

• wow-effect when showing it around

Disadvantages:

- short runtime

• easy to lose

I have a DQG Fairy and Black Water Kite.al. I like the fairy because it’s super tiny but the Black Water Kite has a built in charger and a TIR lens. Something like the fairy with TIR lens would be perfect.

10-25$

At least two modes (low at < 3 lumens and high at > 100 lumens).
Aluminum or stainless steel would be my preferred material.
NO built in charger (would take too much space).
Run on 10180 Li-Ion batteries.
Maybe a magnet in the tail.
Cool white led is okay for this kind of light.

1. Keychain light, wear it around the neck
2. advantage: easy to carry. disadvantage: easy to lose
3. around $15.
4. Two modes(low, medium).

1. I would use it for EDC. It would go with me everywhere.
2. The only disadvantage I can think of would be I keep loosing it.
3. 20-30 USD
4. Usb charging, well regulated 100 lumens, magnetic tail cap, hi cri emitter.