Giveaways : Am I the only one...

Ha ha!!! You will me missing out! :smiley:

12,000 Post Giveaway!

Only members with more posts than me are eligible to enter….

:stuck_out_tongue:

When I started frequenting BLF, it was inspirational to see a like minded set of people helping each other reach common goals. The giveaway’s were an instrument to bring members together, help each other grow in the hobby and tie everyone together in a family spirit.

I have seen an influx of membership due to group buys of specific interest and also the giveaways, it would seem that what worked for us as a smaller community might not be quite so instrumental in a larger base of people that don’t really share the mindset. As such, we do see those that only post where “I’m in!” is involved. But, with the random.org way of drawing it’s only a matter of increasing the odds when more sign up. So, effectively, the more of those kind that enter the less their actual chance of winning! I think what makes it work is the one entry per member thing. I don’t mind people talking in the giveaway thread, it makes it somewhat more difficult to keep track of, but I like to make a list and that first post is what counts, only first posts are added up for the number of entries being used in random.org. Most of my giveaways have substantially more posts in the thread than actual number of entries, and that’s how I do it.

When it’s requested that people only post once, sure it makes it easier to keep track of but it also induces the “I’m in!” type, don’t chat, don’t discuss, only enter. This is why I don’t mind discussion. (Well, that and I talk too much!) :smiley:

On occasion a fairly expensive light is given away and the number of entrants can be staggering. But that is what makes it fun, because then even folks that “never enter giveaways” will step in for a special light. :wink:

So while we’re gathering here talking about this, let me ask this question… should a giveaway light be limited to a factory light? The reason I ask is that I was tempted to do a giveaway on a light I built from scratch. It’s not perfect, it’s maybe a bit hot tempered, and quite possibly isn’t for everyone. The concern is that a noob might not quite know how to deal with a 5000 lumen multi-emitter hot-rod, so is it “fair” to “segregate” the giveaway? (segregation is a necessary component of society, we don’t send guys to the gynecologist for a reason, just like gals don’t have prostate exams. :wink: )

It can get complicated, can’t it? :person_facepalming: (the facepalm is used here to show exasperation of a different nature)

Do I really talk too much? :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting question. Since you’re from the US, I might be more concerned about a lawsuit, if the light turns out to be dangerous. For example, if a newbie runs it too hard for the batteries, and it turns into a pipe bomb, would you be responsible for his injuries? I’m thinking that in the US, you probably would.

Maybe you should make those high-power custom-light giveaways open to “only people NOT from the US.” :expressionless:

I would take a different approach. Maybe assign it to Muggle mode in the driver firmware. And only if the person exhibits good Li-Ion safety awareness, tell them how to get out of Muggle mode. If they truly ARE a Muggle, they probably won’t know that the light isn’t performing to its greatest potential anyway, so they won’t ask for more. If they don’t ask - don’t tell!

DB… I do not see a GAW as requiring a factory light. I am working toward doing one of my own, my first. I intend to build a decent light, with decent draw and a good host since I can’t build my own host. I am thinking about using all parts made by members here… pill, driver, firmware and tailcap. I am finally to the point that making a decent light is getting to be second nature and even fixing things in firmware is starting to make sense. So, getting a comfort level built up to create a complete light for someone else.