Good deal? on some Sanyo 2000 mAh 18650's

If you buy 10 they are $1.75 each plus shipping. The shipping was about $5 inside the US. I ordered some to check out. They look to be the same as the used laptop pulls I have picked up in the past. But the ones I got are brand new. I was expecting used ones. They don’t have a scratch or mark on them. Each was around 4.2 to 4.3 volts when they arrived. They charged up nicely in my I4, and tested out well in a TK75. But, I got them for a “12 volt” solar back pack battery back up kit I am making. Seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone know of any better?

http://www.bgmicro.com/ur18650f-2000mah-rechargeable-lithium-ion-by-sanyo.aspx

Now I am on the hunt for a nice flexible or roll up 12 volt solar panel.

Brand new cells should be sitting at about 3.7V. If you received these and they were already at 4.2V, then at the very least someone must have charged them.
You said later you charged them up, could it be that they originally were 3.7V?

I wouldn’t expect to see new cells delivered at 4.2V

Give this thread a look:

Buyer/user feedback, test graph at post #66 I think.

I remember these guys from a while back and a few people ordered a bunch from them. I think they were pretty decent. If you look real close on the wrapper you can find the numbers and those will tell you the year of the batteries. Chances are these are fairly old and the company went through them and charged them up to make sure they were holding a charge. That’s not a bad thing at all. I do the same thing when I’m selling batteries. Now I have a tester but always before I would charge them all up and any that were not holding a charge got tossed in a recycle bin. A bad cell will drop charge quickly and by the end of the week they will be really low. Never use that kind of battery.

On the serial number for a Sanyo, it will be printed from top to bottom with no color at all. It’s stamped on or something like that. It’s on the wrapper itself and its raised. It’s very hard to see but if you get the light just right you can read it. That way you will know exactly how old they are. As long as they were stored well then they are good for quite a long time.

A lot of these batteries where made for industrial uses but when Sanyo came out with better batteries, higher mAh these got stuck in storage someplace. Some were also stored the same way but welded into four packs and glued together. That is what I used to sell. Same deal, they were unused but older and stored.

Let me know the serial number from the side and I’ll see if I can find the numbers again and let you know how old they are. Although just from looking at them I can tell they are fairly old. They haven’t made the white top (2,000 mAh) batteries in a while. After the white tops they came out with a grey top (2,100 mAh and higher amps). Then red tops (2,200 mAh) Then teal blue (2,600) and so forth and so on. Still as long as they were well stored (cool storage) they will mostly be good batteries, especially if they have already gone through them to make sure they are holding a charge.

I actually tossed about 20% of the old stored red tops that I got in. I would imagine they tossed even more of these when they went through them just because they are a little older.

It depends how long ago they charged it. I'd charge cells for buyers, but I'll put them at the storage voltage between testing and shipping.