Got my Keygos M12 today, fingerprints on the INSIDE? WTF?! :(

got mine today.

cons:

*it had a metal ring instead of an rubber oring inside the slider.

*the steel 'reflector' covering the emitter is pressed in place and ripping it out of there was a pita.

*the ring above that reflector is also pressed in and you can't get the emitter out w/o removing that (which I'll do because I want to screw it down).

*on full zoom, about 2/3 of the emitter is cool white and the rest is very purplish - looks weird.

*there are some imperfections on the finish.

*has strobe and sos.

*spring on the bottom of driver is really long (maybe an inch?!) and could easily get pushed to the side.

pros:

*it was packaged well (bubble wrap, weak box, more bubble wrap, bubble envelope).

*pulls 2.8 (TF flame) or 3.1 (panasonic cgr18650ch) on high.

*Pill is massive...lots of mass inside, not just a cavern, lots of good threads

*I like the lanyard slots in the tail (instead of just a hole).

overall - a good budget light as is

it is great host if you'd like to do a little modding and push an xm-l to the limit in a zoomie. lots of room to add mass and/or bigger driver.

I'd pay well for a high quality version of this light...

I missed this thread until now!

Anyway great work on the light, great pics.

Im in Canada too, nice to see a fellow Canadian here.

I got this light, and I am a newbie, wish I could mod it. :(. So, for right now, it will be used as is. I noticed a couple owners complained about the zoom. Whereas, they just hold it down and the zoom goes by itself. Mine works perfectly. The only time it will zoom is when I push/pull. I looked inside (front),looks like it could use some cleaning. But, I don't know how or what to turn to get the front off. Sheesh, I barely found out how to get the rear cap off to slip in that massive 26650.

Anyway, for a newbie, at this point, I am fully satisfied on how it works. it is bright, real bright. Waiting for a mount to slip it on one of my bikes..;)

I got this light, and I am a newbie, wish I could mod it. :(. So, for right now, it will be used as is. I noticed a couple owners complained about the zoom. Whereas, they just hold it down and the zoom goes by itself. Mine works perfectly. The only time it will zoom is when I push/pull. I looked inside (front),looks like it could use some cleaning. But, I don't know how or what to turn to get the front off. Sheesh, I barely found out how to get the rear cap off to slip in that massive 26650.

Anyway, for a newbie, at this point, I am fully satisfied on how it works. it is bright, real bright. Waiting for a mount to slip it on one of my bikes..;)

the front (bezel) unscrews, like the tailcap - it is the front 1/8" of the head so you just grip that part w/ one hand and the rest of the head w/ the other (so that the head does not spin when you twist the bezel).

correction to my post about the 'reflector' retainer - it is in fact threaded in, not pressed. I used a spring loaded center punch to put a little dent in it, then tipped the punch to the side and used the dent to drift it counterclockwise....and unscrew it out.

makes me feel pretty dumb about ripping the reflector out

anyway, I drill a couple holes (not through holes) and use two little screws to secure the emitter to the pill.

my emitter is even screwier...on high a couple of the sections flicker when first clicked on, and it is much brighter close to the bond wires. It is getting swapped out as soon as new ones arrive.

Other than that, and the blinky modes, this is a great light for the price.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

I created a guide on Keygos M12 (and other zoomie) disassembly:

It would help with cleaning, reaching o-rings, painting, etc.

Viktor

HI

can you tell me if this lens is glass or plastic, and the front to back thickness of the lens

also, is that a brass pill or anodized aluminum?

thanks

Hi bowhunter,

See the link I posted, it has plenty pics of the pill.

Pill is regular, non-anodized aluminum.

Lens are plastic, 11.2mm thick.

Viktor

go to cvimellesgriot.com and search for part # LAG-38.0-34.5

quality aspheric glass lens, uncoated version $22

not cheaP but reliable quality

\i have not used this lens

CAN SOMEONE MEASURE THE OUTSIDE DIA. OF THE THREADED bottom PART OF THE PILL?

and the outside dia. of the top unthreader pill part?

THANKS

Here we go, measurements are here:

Disassembling Keygos M12

Viktor

VIKTORI
THANKS SO MUCH FOR DOING THAT - VERY WELL DONE !!!

I´ve bought this like too mine came from a ebaydealer called Redlog with 2 Keygos cells and a charger shipping takes around 2 weeks.
Charger is not very good cause only 4.17V and on one side one screw went away.
I´ve tested that light with different 18650 and 26650 and there 2.3A on tailcap
Fingerprints on lens and dust under lens were included
But all in all i thing the light isn´t bad for the money

IMO, the Keygos M12, M10 and Ke-5, Ke-2 are all good lights for the money… :slight_smile:

+1 on that, and I would add the M13 as well. Really solid light with some heft, I keep one beside my bed and I have no doubt I could easily use it to smash out my bedroom window if I had to exit the house that way, in case of fire for example. It’s big enough that my hands would not be at too much risk from breaking glass and I think I sleep just a little better at night knowing it is there within easy reach. It also looks a lot more PC than sleeping with an axe under the bed :wink:

Sorry to get off topic. I have only had my M12 for a short while, and not used it too much yet. Good solid torch, but the zoom seems a little rough. I think I will take it apart and see if it needs an O-ring or two. I really like the switches in these Keygos lights, nice and big and with a good positive feel, just the right pressure required for clicking I think.

Now, you have put the itch in my hand for an M13!!! :wink:

Same here on the M12s, they are gone. They were good, but for my bicycle applications, the M10 was better…

Let me get on this M13… :wink:

Ordered from eBay cyberport888, got it in 2 weeks. Disassembled it immediately, like any normal person would do :bigsmile: . Fortunately, that was a good thing to do because one side of emitter was sitting on a wire :~ and had almost no contact with pill. And of course, there was a piece of transparent film under the emitter as a gift.
Zooming mechanism had a metal o-ring and was sufficient for normal everyday use, but on a bike every little bump zoomed it a little. So I tried few dozen rubber o-rings, but couldn’t find the perfect one. The only thing that worked near perfect was a rubber band. But the head still rattled, so I added rubber bands to all grooves. It worked for a few days until rubber bands started to jam whole head. Replaced all rubber bands and put one layer of adhesive tape over them. It may not look nice, but it works perfect now.
Lens rattling fixed with rubber o-ring. Battery rattle fixed with a few layers of adhesive tape on a battery.

Pulls 1.2A high, 0.44A med, 0.14A low - 4.19V
Pulls 0.5A high, 0.2A med, 0.06A low - 3.50V

After a few tweaks, a perfect bike light for me. Constantly zooming in/out and changing high/med/low (never use blinky modes) with one hand while riding depending on speed and incoming traffic.

Any beamshots on how this baby throws? I am very curious if its a good thrower being xml based! Got one of these on the way! :bigsmile: