Got my Keygos M12 today, fingerprints on the INSIDE? WTF?! :(

from the looks of the pictures (BTW: My screen tastes like dusty 1 year old MTB bike tires with a hint of playboy calendar - who would have known? )

And a thank you for giving all the info on this light! That is cool!

I like the light so much but I must resist ( I have a resisting habit. But it is out of order lateæy - been trying to get it to kick in LOL )

I cant wait for some links to outside beamshots in high res to lick! LOL

OMG sexy!!!

That sounds EXACTLY like what I want! A firefly low, and mind blowing high :slight_smile: WOOT!

-Jamie M.

If you plan to ever run that high mode longer than 3-5 minutes with the 3A driver, the flashlight will get TOO hot for your taste, trust me.

I'd rather order the 2.3A version: http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020064

With that one you will be able to run high for much longer and it won't get too hot.

I have an XM-L flashlight whose body is simply too small to radiate all the heat generated at 2.8A, and after about 5 minutes it gets so hot that it's uncomfortable to hold. If I left it running longer, it would certainly exceed Li-Ion recommended/safety temperature range (I think it's about 60°C).

Viktor

Have you ever seen this guys LED driver boards? http://www.taskled.com/techlflex.html

Makes em in 20mm, and any current level you want (up to 3.5 amps). Fully programmable user interface, single sided PCB for great heatsinking, etc. Looks like a great solution!

*EDIT: Looks like you need to run a separate switch to run that driverboard. You can't use power on/off to change modes, etc. Looks like for use with a digital switch.

-Jamie M.

I don't doubt that it might be one of the best drivers available, but it's too expensive for my taste:

http://www.taskled.com/order.html <-- LFlex V3 = $25

Also, don't mix up the width of the emitter board with the width of the driver board. You said your emitter was 20mm, take a good measure of the driver itself.

Feel free to post pictures of measurements. ;)

Viktor

I just measured the opening at the back of the pill where the battery terminal is. How do I get the driver out? Looks like it’s soldered or pressed in?? http://likestuff.globat.com/FlashlightStuff/LensSize_L.jpg

-Jamie M.

Probably press fit, soldered, and glued ;) I've never successfully removed an already installed driver - I just plan on having to destroy it.

Dammit, I'm tempted to get this and install a 8x7135 board with custom programmed modes (as I do with all of my lights). I already have a quality 26650 sitting around.

Can you post a close-up of the driver?

That little cutout near the edge might be a way to get in. Try stucking a small screwdriver or something similar inside, and gently tilting it to lift the driver. Don't break it untill you get a replacement driver, please. :)

Viktor

I don`t think it will get that hot on high at 3A, the pill has a lot of aluminium, I would prefer the 3A version, and if you still feel it gets hot use it on med.

I ended up ordering this one: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-Board/Detail (was able to use the discount code CPFuser at checkout)

3 mode (low, medium, 2.8amp high! YAY!!!) with memory, reverse polarity protected, and fully regulated to keep full brightness until batteries depleted to 2.8v.

Can't wait to slip it in her!!! :)

-Jamie M.

Can you give us some more details (or pictures) on how you protected the LED while applying the paint? Did you paint with spray/airbrush or brush?

I've bought a spray can of matte black, and will probably do the same thing, but I have no idea how to efficiently protect the LED itself while applying the paint.

Viktor

I’ve had quite a few people PM me and ask me that! lol.

I used a piece of heat shrink tubing. It was just slightly smaller than the LED dome, and being rubber I slipped it over the LED dome and it held on there snug. I just spray painted away, gave it a few coats, LET IT DRY, then pulled off the heat shrink tubing :) Worked perfect.

Another user did his and used a drinking straw and just held it over the LED while he painted. He pulled the straw off when the paint was wet and got some on the LED dome but he said a Qtip and rubbing alcohol took the paint off the LED dome ;)

Good luck! Pics when you're done too plz!

-Jamie M.

Thanks for the tips, sounds easy! :D

I just ordered the M12, after it arrives and I test it I'm definitely doing this. I'll try to capture some pics and post updates.

Thanks!

Viktor

damnit. im going to have to buy this light now, too.

got mine today.

cons:

*it had a metal ring instead of an rubber oring inside the slider.

*the steel 'reflector' covering the emitter is pressed in place and ripping it out of there was a pita.

*the ring above that reflector is also pressed in and you can't get the emitter out w/o removing that (which I'll do because I want to screw it down).

*on full zoom, about 2/3 of the emitter is cool white and the rest is very purplish - looks weird.

*there are some imperfections on the finish.

*has strobe and sos.

*spring on the bottom of driver is really long (maybe an inch?!) and could easily get pushed to the side.

pros:

*it was packaged well (bubble wrap, weak box, more bubble wrap, bubble envelope).

*pulls 2.8 (TF flame) or 3.1 (panasonic cgr18650ch) on high.

*Pill is massive...lots of mass inside, not just a cavern, lots of good threads

*I like the lanyard slots in the tail (instead of just a hole).

overall - a good budget light as is

it is great host if you'd like to do a little modding and push an xm-l to the limit in a zoomie. lots of room to add mass and/or bigger driver.

I'd pay well for a high quality version of this light...

I missed this thread until now!

Anyway great work on the light, great pics.

Im in Canada too, nice to see a fellow Canadian here.

I got this light, and I am a newbie, wish I could mod it. :(. So, for right now, it will be used as is. I noticed a couple owners complained about the zoom. Whereas, they just hold it down and the zoom goes by itself. Mine works perfectly. The only time it will zoom is when I push/pull. I looked inside (front),looks like it could use some cleaning. But, I don't know how or what to turn to get the front off. Sheesh, I barely found out how to get the rear cap off to slip in that massive 26650.

Anyway, for a newbie, at this point, I am fully satisfied on how it works. it is bright, real bright. Waiting for a mount to slip it on one of my bikes..;)

I got this light, and I am a newbie, wish I could mod it. :(. So, for right now, it will be used as is. I noticed a couple owners complained about the zoom. Whereas, they just hold it down and the zoom goes by itself. Mine works perfectly. The only time it will zoom is when I push/pull. I looked inside (front),looks like it could use some cleaning. But, I don't know how or what to turn to get the front off. Sheesh, I barely found out how to get the rear cap off to slip in that massive 26650.

Anyway, for a newbie, at this point, I am fully satisfied on how it works. it is bright, real bright. Waiting for a mount to slip it on one of my bikes..;)

the front (bezel) unscrews, like the tailcap - it is the front 1/8" of the head so you just grip that part w/ one hand and the rest of the head w/ the other (so that the head does not spin when you twist the bezel).