Got my Shocker - a comparison... plus a question

Yes, but keep in mind, if thats the reason you can fix it, if its other issues you cant :frowning:

Hi guys, can anyone help me a bit and try to answer my questions few post above? thanks.

Also Ohaya, try to send an email to Ric instead of pm?

I’m probably not the best, but I’ll try?

The info that I’ve seen for a “good” Shocker would be ~130 Klux. This would be measured using a lux meter (I have an HS2010B, I think, and have an HS2010 in-transit from two different places - long story).

The impression I get is that, especially because the Shocker has 3 emitters, it takes some distance for the beams to focus, to get the best measurement. I’ve been currently doing measurements at ~39 feet (11.887 meters), because that’s about the longest unobstructed distance I can get indoors, with no reflecting walls around.

My impression from reading is that I think that the “weaker performing” Shocker would probably be minimally noticeable to the eye. That’s why, for myself, I’m starting to turn into a “data freak”, measuring almost everything with my lux meter, because it’s the only definitive way to really tell, to me.

Lumens can be measured, but you need something called an “integrating sphere”, and I don’t have one, so I can only stick to the lux measurements and tailcap current measurements to “benchmark” my lights.

I hope that I got that right :)…

Jim

I tried to answer your post, and yes, I’ve used both PM and email. He seems to be more responsive to PM though, and to answer the question that you probably were going to ask, no, I don’t have a definitive answer as to why my Shocker is only giving 100 Klux, whereas (many) others have reported 130 Klux.

Yes, you did thanks for the answer makes things clear to me :slight_smile:

Well if its not noticeable i guess even if i get similar performing unit (fingers crossed i hope not) i won’t be worried to much, its still very bright right? 8)

Yes, even at 100 Klux, it’s bright :).

Let me put it this way. I also have an HD2010, which I measure at 48 Klux, and which, to me, is not just a darn good thrower, but it has, again to me, pretty useable beam, meaning it’s not just a “pencil of light”.

The Shocker that I have, albeit not quite matching the 130 Klux that some others report, still has, at 100 Klux, twice the lux of my HD2010.

That is NOT to say that the Shocker is “twice as bright” as my HD2010 to a human eye. All I’m saying is that I measure the lux for the Shocker at twice the lux from my HD2010.

Another example. Although it might be a little dated, if you look at the table in the 1st post here:

there’s only one light that has more or close to the lux of the ‘under-performing’ Shocker.

Jim