Greetings - looking for cycling lights

Thanks asot! Never thought of an actual flashlight mounted to the bike. Thinking outside the box. Will read up on your links.

Thanks again, jim

Welcome, I was getting ready to post a pic of one of my setups, but those links got a zillion pics of my setups!! ;)

Welcome to our little family, jallison! You sure did come to the right place.

You 're our (bicycle) man!!!

Nah, I am way behind betweenrides and few others around here, but I am learning...Wink

Asot - thanks for posting these links for jallison, it's a great start. Those two threads cover a lot of ground and I would add another one: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/7657

If this pesky work didn't keep getting in the way, I'd be able to dig into one of my favorite subjects more.... We'll have to give you some impressions on various flashlights that work for cycling, both flood and spot, 18650 and the larger 26650 sized ones. Cehoward is the master of the 26650 cycling light, the rest of us are not worthy to even be mentioned in the same thread. :D

If your on lit urban roads I'd concentrate on the rear lights, IMO these are the most important for safety. You need to be seen from a wide angle which is the hardest part to achieve. I'd suggest several of the SF clones CEhoward has linked I the above post, I'm still waiting on mine but they look ideal.

For the fronts a blinkie would be beneficial in an urban setting but I can't really help there. For off road you want LUMENS, lots. I have just got a Roche F12 from CNQG (I'd buy from intl-outdoor tho), this has a great floody beam and in NW tint the terrain should render much better, 2 on the bars should be giving you over 1000lumens or even 600-800 on medium. Then go for a more spotty light on your lid, weight is a major issue here, if you can put up with a C8 it would be an excellent choice and there is no better C8 than the XinTD from intl-outdoor.

+100,000,000,000,000,000,000

Cehoward is the man!

-Garry

Ah come on guys, you got me blushing like mad!!Wink

To tell the truth, I am the apprentice around here.. I have learned a big bunch around here!!!Smile

I am humbled by the warm welcome!! Very happy I found y'all.

Now off to read those links.

Thanks again, jim

I am humbled by the warm welcome!! Very happy I found y'all.

Now off to read those links.

Thanks again, jim

You're welcome, but we didn't deserve to be thanked twice. :glasses:

jallison12, here's a few ideas on cycling lights. These are all XM-L lights I use on a regular rotation.

(L-R): Solarforce L2, Solarforce L2P, N-Light ST-50, Solarforce M6, Knight Rider P-Rocket, Shadow JM07. The first 5 lights use 18650 batteries, the JM07 uses 26650. I have a few others I use too, but these are the main ones.

Some more lights with a few different handle bar mounting pieces, Clockwise from upper left: Balder BD-2, Yezl Z1, P-Rocket, two Xtar cells, ST-50, An old C8 flashlight with a P7 emitter, Solarforce M8 in single cell mode.

Of all the lights up there, top three I use are: JM07, Solarforce L2P and M6. The ST-50 is my go to light for helmet mounting.

Welcome to BLF. Looks like you will find all the help you need here.

Ha, it took me a while to stop pressing the SAVE button TWICE and making DUPLICATE posts too.. Laughing Laughing.

BetweenRides, in the top picture what is that short piece of PVC for?

Looks like a sleeve so a 18650 doesn't rattle in the 26650 host

^ This ^

Thankfully, most of the 26650 lights come with these to allow you to run both in the light. Works great for cycling, as I can carry an 18650 in the sleeve in my jersey pocket for insurance if I need to change a battery on the fly. You can buy these separately for about a buck. I still need to take one up to Ace Hardware to see if they have this size PVC so I can make my own.

So, you only use it in the JM07? And those 26650s, are they similar in size to cr123s? I guess what I'm after is, you can't jam that size PVC into, say, an L2P to stop battery rattle with cr123s? It's too thick, right? I know you can buy aftermarket sleeves specifically for that and that some lights come with them, but I was thinking about a DIY solution other than the custom cut 3x5 card stock I use now.

Has anyone used heat shrink rap to reduce the noise? Is that a viable solution?

Hmm . . . That sounds like a good idea, assuming your light doesn't get hot enough to shrink it!

I too will be on the hunt for some thin walled PVC tubing to reduce battery rattle.

-Garry