Group Buy CLOSED: MAXToch SN6X-2X

6.2A to the LED is nice! Maybe I'll experiment more with resistors... Got another 2X to do - more fun!

Do it :slight_smile:

Im thinking next try 8 amps, then 9 to fry the thing :slight_smile:

Chris

wow! 350k is real nice - i cant wait for mine to be modded :slight_smile:

Where most of these guys are going for more amps, the RED emitters need less. So I do resistor mods to lower the amperage down to 1.5A. Everything else that is being done is pretty much the same, Sinkpad, noctigon, sanding centering ring, etc. Oh, and you don’t need to modify the springs at 1.5A.

So….for those who have been modding these 2Xs what final test results have been achieved?

Standard they seem to be 95-98k lux, and initial results above suggest modded outputs around 290-350k.

Any further impressions/data after modification?

I’ve been too busy with work and Xmas and all that, but have left it to Tuiman to test it at 350k

Chris

I’m working my way into modding. Will be awhile before I tear this one apart!

My 2X is modded to 230k lux - very good power and distance for hunting and retaining a 73 minute runtime on full power.

Was out shooting some possums last night and the half power mode was excellent for this job. Well over 100m (something like 98k lux) but easier on the eye for up close 10-40m shots. Used it for about 2 and 1/4 hours on half and still did not run out of batt.

Very useful. 9 possums…

I just got my 2X completed a few minutes ago. I used the copper star from a S2200, sanded off all the dielectric, put a 20mm Noctigon on top of that with brass extensions to move the connecting wires away from the reflector. The domed XM-L2 U2 is making 1762 OTF lumens on start-up, 1631 OTF @ 30 seconds. 170Kcd with 825M throw. Not bad at all for a domed emitter, I like it! Stacked what is supposed to be an R056 resistor on top of the existing one, but it says 0795 on it. So I’m not sure what’s up with that. That’s what Mouser sent me, works, so I’ve got no problem with it.

Getting a solid 4.32A at the tail with Sanyo lap pulls, I’ll use them because I have a few sets so it’s easy to have a back-up pair or two.

Very nice light, love it’s finish and build, it’s robust nature. Now I really love it with a tight hot spot and some serious power. :slight_smile:

cool to see everyones results - i am waiting patiently for mine - tom e is doing a resistor mod etc :slight_smile: im hoping for around 300-400kcd with a de-domed emitter

It is nice to know the MTs are working out well. Here’s to more group buys this coming year!

And not only that, but Amanda is wishing everyone Merry Christmas! A first, The first, from a merchant much less a manufacturer. Gotta love it! :slight_smile:

Amanda has been great to have aboard BLF!

Dale…what gauge wire did you use on this? Is 22 AWG ok or should I use 20?

Trying to figure out if I should buy the silicone wire FT put on their site today…or buy 20…

That’s good output DBC - probly round 350-380 dedomed.

Silicone Tenergy wires. Stacked one resistor, added a 32mm copper plate under the Noctigon.

Edit: Beamshots. Canon G1X at 1600ISO, f/5.8 1/2 second exposure. Left click to show in new window, left click in new window to enlarge.

Wide angle at 28mm to show beam profile, Red oil drum is 97 yds away.

Zoomed in at 112mm to show detail on red oil drum…

Zoomed in at 112mm to show detail on white barn at 610 yds distant…

And today I got the handle wrapped. I have a little paracord, and I’m learning, but this works pretty dang well and the raised spiral actually allows a tactical grip making the tail clicky real easy access. :slight_smile:

Looks good DB.

The 610 yard barn shows up well in pic - you can see alot of detail in the building etc. The 2X is a bit heavy for a rifle light imho but makes an excellent long distance handheld spottie.

I have ordered a scalpel and some blades, will be slicing the dome to see what happens. Worked well in my M8 with MT-G2, if it doesn’t pan out, I’ll de-dome an XM-L2 U2 1A and put it in there. I have to admit, I’ve gotten spoiled to my Qlite drivers. Even when running 6A on Hi, the Lo mode is quite low. With this MAXToch, low is still pretty bright, there’s not as much space between the modes.

Are y’all stacking a second R056 resistor or doing more than that? Mine’s showing some pretty good OTF lumens, and the beam is pretty focused. Not even sure I want it to throw further as 600+ yds is ample. Wish I could get a better spread on the modes though. Really liking the comfort level of that Paracord wrap, tactical cigar style grip is really nice with the wrist lanyard giving some resistance to help stabilize the hold. Not used to using that type of grip, but on this set-up it works really well. Surprising with this size of light.

Working on jmpaul320's 2X - gonna try stacking an R100 and R120. Resulting resistance should be 0.027632, so slightly lower than stacking one R056 on the existing one. By the math, the resulting, LED current should be 7.295A, just little higher than the 7.2A calculated from the 2 R056's.

For the LED, I've got a XM-L2 U2 1A/Noctigon in the gas now for de-doming. Plan on re-flowing the star on two 1" 18 gauge copper rounds to account for the loss of 1.08 mm thickness in the 64mm AR lens from FFL (stock lens is 3.11mm, AR lens is 2.03mm).