[Group Buy Interest Poll] Tiny EDC keychain light done right - BLF/Sofirn-style!

I would be in for 2 depending on the final price.

Interested in 1 for now.

tacocowboy Welcome to BLF! Yes, there is a strong emphasis on keeping the price low, and the light simple to use while being open to accommodate enthusiast features as much as possible within those constraints. Expensive or niche features almost surely won’t make it, or will be in different more expensive versions (i.e. other materials).

Flying Luminosity Curious why you’d want a separate charger. That’s been offered with many flashlights for a long time. You can always buy a dedicated charger. The point of built-in charging is so that it’s always with you to charge on the go, and so that it doesn’t get lost.

I like something like the Nitecore Tube BUT I’m tired of it switching on in my pocket all the time so some other foolproof switch would be a big plus for me.

Mine has a lockout. Works very well.

Also in for one.

One interesting option would be to figure out what kind of optics does TrustFire use in their MINI3 and use that as well.
It is very flat, would reduce the light length by 2 mm at least.
Beam shape would be…unusual.
It’s somewhat similar to a SMO reflector in that it has distinct narrow and wide beams.
Hotspot is sharp and much like in a not-fully-focused aspheric.
Wide secondary beam is similar to spill of a reflector light but it’s not actually spill and it’s very wide, nearly mule-like.

Honestly, I’m not sure if it’s great beam shape for such light. So I won’t call it good or bad but merely interesting. :wink:

Interested!

Interested in 1 or 2 pcs depending on price.
Design suggestion: aggressive knurling for better grip and twisty action.
Thank you!

edit: I’m ok with sealed battery BUT would appreciate if it was somehow serviceable/replaceable to replace it if/when performance drops consistently or fails.

Response Template (Fill in desired sections)

Quantity I would buy: 1-5 depending on how it comes out

Suggestions
Battery: Replaceable with tools - I don’t want it falling apart in my pocket, but I don’t want it to be a disposable item.
Modes: Group 1 only (Moonlight first - must be able to switch off again without cycling through med & high!) will be sufficient, don’t make compromises elsewhere to add extra modes).
Dimensions: Tiny

I didn’t say how many, I’m interested in 2 depending on colors (looking for black and hard-anodized raw silver aluminum as their c01s).

Agro Suggestions in keeping the spirit of this projects are appreciated, thanks! It’s good to know of options that can make the light smaller. Beam profile is relevant too, are there beamshots?

I actually quite like the beam profile from the C01S, as described in my first impressions .

chenko Ample knurling requested. :slight_smile: I have expressed the same wishes to Sofirn about the battery too.

nowonmai First Group has been stated to start low, and other groups/modes will be added only if they do not compromise simplicity, cost, and size. Your wishes are right in line with the project goals.

tacocowboy I have also requested a clear/raw anodized option. I do hope they offer this!

Here

Hard type 3 anodizing (even though it only comes in black) would be welcome for a keychain/pocket light that will get a lot of banging around.

The width of the spill is nice, though the small square hotspot and its sharp cutoff are, as you put it… “interesting”. haha

hank I have requested Hard Type III anodizing to Sofirn. Do you know if the C01S has this? Because I noticed some small scratches developing on some corners after just one day of being on a keychain which gives me concerns about the durability of the anodized color as noted here .

Interested. High mode that lasts for at least an hour is more useful than maximum output. If I need brightness this light on turbo won’t suffice anyway.

Any updates?

I would be very interested in this light if you do the following

I will buy 10-20 pieces of this light if

1. Fully potted light like the C01

2. Use nichia C 4000k or Samsung LH351D high CRI LED 5000k

3. Removable battery and NOT build in battrey

4. 2 way pocket clip

5. Copper and Titanium and brass version

6. NO more than 10$

7. tail-stand

8. keychain hole

9. No PWM

10. Very small

Barry will push to have this be the first project after Chinese New Year.

Also, there is a proposal to have different middle brightnesses for the two groups: eg. Group 1: 1LM - 15LM - 160LM; Group2: 160LM - 50LM - 1LM

This would have the dual benefit of offering a higher middle brightness for those who want it, or want a lower “high” with longer runtime, all while keeping the user interface simple. I like it.

Hugh Johnson A higher middle brightness might satisfy your request, and you can keep the High mode for very brief “turbo” use. I think that’s quite a useful format.

Nichia Of course it will be very small and have a keychain hole, though I doubt your full list will make the final cut. eg. pocket clip doesn’t make much sense on a keychain light, and exotic materials will cost more than 10USD, though Barry did indicate that can be an option for an additional cost.

To me, the Olight i1R 2 EOS is nearly perfect except for two points: the emitter is too cold, and the battery is not replaceable. If this project addresses those while maintaining the other advantages, I will consider it a success. Raw/clear anodization would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks! All the points you made sound good to me

In such a small twisty I think three modes on the way up and three modes on the way down is overly optimistic. you’ve got to keep the o-ring from getting exposed when it’s loosened enough to be securely off. There’s only so much room for travel in the threads. Apparently part of the reason olight made their new 2 model so it does not fully come apart is because people were losing the head while it was attached to keys and such. As in unscrewing itself and falling off. I find that hard to believe but I don’t have mine hanging next to keys. I have mine hanging on a loop of paracord from a belt loop high in a front pocket. If they can’t make three modes then a 5/150 would be good. But it’s got to be warmer than Olight i1r. The i1r2 is too cool. And has less throw which is noticeable at anything beyond 10 ft mostly because of a much wider beam pattern. I prefer the i1r over the i1r2.