[Group Buy Interest Poll] Tiny EDC keychain light done right - BLF/Sofirn-style!

For 10180 twisties you need 2 hands.

Pass. I have a Nitecore TIP2 CRI on my keychain, although I much prefer the UI of its TIP predecessor. The magnetic feature is very useful, but micro-USB needs to die in 2020, USB-C is clearly the way forwards.

Looks like the RovyVon Aurora and the recently launched Nitecore Tiki…

Interesting idea here. I’m almost always using my keys one handed, when I’m carrying something (groceries, mail, retractable dog leash handle, etc). I often find myself wanting a light in these situations. But my concern would be on the twisty. Much better if I could reliably activate the keychain light with 1 hand via an E-switch. If I’m not using my keys ( ie they’re in my pocket), I pull out my edc light, more commonly with two hands avail. If the goal is that this light would become an edc, I understand the twisty though. I don’t understand the cost concern about getting a good (tint) emitter. Wouldn’t any additional expense be trivial (like cents to a dollar)?

Agree. Really small lights are difficult to manipulate.

phouton, thanks for your well reasoned and specific comments, with supporting links

I appreciate your focus and specific attention to details

it is the same as a Fenix E01, which many people consider very reliable, yet I find it easy to make flicker and turn on accidentally…

twisties have accidental activation issues too:

discussion about accidental activation in regard to the Olight you find acceptable:

Yes, somewhat. I think that’s a good thing.

It’s basically the same concept, but with a magnetic tail you can attach / detach from the keychain thingy, like the TIP2.

I do believe in this drawing it uses more space for the battery though.

From what i’ve seen from the translucent Rovyvon and Tiki, the PCB sits in the middle.

The light in the picture is the older version. The newer version does not come apart. I’ve tried tugging on it and did as much as I thought was reasonable before breaking it.

That’s a shame.
So the light will last as long as the crappy 10180 cells it’s got…

As i mentioned earlier, one of my Astrolux M01 batteries died recently.
I have 2 spares with DQG on the tiny wrapper, and it claims to be only 70 mAh, which is probably more realistic than the 100mAh they usually print on the wrapper…

I use the i1R 2 and other twisties almost exclusively with one hand and find it comfortable. Maybe there’s a question of hand size/shape affecting this usability aspect? I have relatively large but slender hands.

As for accidental activation with lateral forces, I carefully inspected this on the C01S, i1R 2, and i3E to identify the “flicker zone” where this is possible. For the C01S and i1R 2 it is within ~3mm of rotational travel along the circumference, or 1/16 of a turn, after it first turns off. For the i3E it takes about 1/4 of a turn to be totally safe due to its much looser threads. Generally, turning 1/8 of a turn past off ensures no accidental activation.

While holding the body, I also tried rubbing and dragging the head against clothing or carpeting, but I cannot get the head to rotate this way, even deliberately. I don’t have concerns about it screwing or unscrewing on its own. Maybe extreme over-lubrication of the O-ring would make it possible? I did not try that (yet).

Unless some people are landing in that 3mm or 1/16 turn “flicker zone” I’m genuinely puzzled about accidental activations. I find 1/8 of a turn a very natural amount to rotate after turning off. And again, that is with one-handed operation.

Perhaps others can report the flicker zone on their twisties to see if there are variations.

The knurling on the head sure helps.
But i assume it only works with 1 hand when it’s on your key ring?

Accidental activation usually occurs when it’s in your trouser pocket, along with other stuff (keys?) and you lean forward while sitting.
I agree it will not happen when you turn it OFF half a turn (180°).

I agree, Olight designed the light in a way that is not intended for a consumer to replace the 10180…

Yes, as PBWilson mentioned, I have not managed to take the i1R 2’s head off. After unscrewing to reveal the charging port, the head tends to point at an angle and not stay straight. I would guess there is another set of threads to get the head off, but I haven’t managed to engage any threading.

The inability to eventually replace the cell is one of the biggest shortcomings of the i1R 2. Personally I don’t like disposable products.

Jerommel Yes it is on a keychain, but my hand is in contact only with the light. I usually have my middle finger wrapped around the body and my thumb and index finger rotate the head.

It’s anodized Aluminium, isn’t it?
That’s also a bit silly for a key chain light i.m.h.o.
So this light will either be trash when the battery fails or when it actually looks like trash…

I’ve had one of my M01’s on my key ring for quite a while, and it still looks good.
Yes, some minor scratches, but nothing serious.
Even the tiny TIR optic, which is not recessed, is not scratched.

But i did have a lot of flickering issues with it, because of the little e-switch triangle thingy in the head, which switches it to high mode.
I replaced it with a tiny piece of sheet metal, which basically solved the problem.
It’s still 2 modes.

Hmmm… I just tried that with my slippery M01, and it does work, albeit a bit finicky…
But i usually use 2 hands.
Knurling would have helped, but i like the stainless cylinder look.

Yes, some knurling is essential, especially for one-handed operation.

Stainless steel is nice for durability. Aluminum is nice for low weight and cost. I’m hoping for a raw or clear anodized aluminum option.

As for the durability of anodized dyes, I think rough knurling (corners, sharp edges) are what get scraped off most easily. I’ve noticed the start of this on the C01S. In contrast, Olight has much smoother surfaces which seem less prone to getting anodization scratched off.

Interestingly, the vertical/axial ridges on the i1R 2 and the fewer recessed ridges on the i3R provide just enough grip without being rough. It seems like a good optimization between grip, feel, and durability.

another keychain option… not a twisty
click pic for more pics

here is a similar less expensive option:

But still PWMfull :smiley:

10g / 12g only…quite good

I really like the drawing (though I would add a shelf, even a thin one).
I wanted to have a RovyVon for a while but then UI and price were putting me off.
Similarly with Tiki, it is not as expensive but UI is lacking and this thing feels too proprietary. And you can have either alu or white side led but not both.

BLF UI (with flashing pads :innocent: ) would make this variant a winner.

Then - magnetic detachment. It looks like it’s USB port cover - a smart move. :slight_smile:
Though I wonder, is it secure? Does it gather metallic dust?

Overall, how could Sofirn improve over Rovyvon and Nitecore?

• UI
  • moddability
  • top notch LEDs
  • Type C
  • detachable
  • RGB aux LED (like Emisar) and RGB switch LED