Group buy: Jaxman Z1 host [THREAD CLOSED BY ADMIN]

Glad it turned up OK.

The extension was always included, despite some confusion on my behalf.

Hope to hear more good reports.

Then the rest of us may hopefully buy with confidence.

The store will be open, when ready :wink:

We got the North delivered and next the South. Maybe tomorrow for here

I’m stuck with two of the Cometas and quite disheartened over them not using the Jaxman host.
Not sure what I’ll build but I don’t think I’ll be happy until I’m holding the real deal in my hand.
Please put me on the list for one host.
Thanks

Can I buy a finished one somewhere? Sorry I haven't been following the progress here.

Hi,

as you can see here, there will be an increased performance :wink:

The Buckdriver drops voltage a lot. I used the LD2/LD2-M2 in all my builds.

Regards

Kenjii

Some details of my current modded Z1 done last year are here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/28881/43. It does 216 kcd with a de-domed XM-L2 U4 1C, stock driver resistor modded.

It would be interesting to find out how a XHP35 HI in a Z1 compares in throw. There's been quite a few modded Z1's posted, some with MT-G2, etc.

R120 shown:

Got the wires very low:

Yes, see my post #5.

Either a single cell XML2, or a dual cell XHP50

Choice of tints on the XHP50.

These links are open for anyone to buy, if they don’t want the host to DIY.

WILCO, on my next update.

Tom. Your soldering is disgusting. Disgustingly good that is. :beer:

Thanx, but doesn't that dedomed LED look sweet too?

+1 and Amen to both…… :wink:

Tom E, if you don’t mind giving away your secret…… how in the world do you get soldering to look like that I am past jealous. :smiley:

The way you have yours so flat is exactly how it needs to be on the Z1. I am struggling.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Pre-tin, pre-flatten the wires, good grip holding wires in correct position, lots of heat.

I think my problem is I heat the wires up too much, and the solder flows down the wire, causing it to get really stiff. I think we should get Tom to make a “how-to” video of building the Z1 with emphasis on soldering technique. :smiley:

Mine arrived today. The package “tracking” worked very well
I placed the order Jun. 06 2016 at 15:37
It was delivered today, June 25, 2016 at 8:27 am

The two Jaxman Z1 boxes were in an E-packet plastic envelope with no additional wrapping or padding. The E-packet was sealed and encircled very well with security tape. The E-packet and the boxes inside were completely intact with no tears or rips.

The actual Z1 boxes appeared to have had a rough trip, they were bent up and squished in… BUT the contents were all intact with no apparent damage at all.

All in all my experience was excellent from the ordering process to delivery.

More later…….

I’m really good at doing this as well.

Oh boy, dunno if I'm that good . The great Pai Mei once said: It's the wood wire that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin.

Here we go:

• pre-tin the pad if not already, pre tin the wire, but always, I mean always use flux on pre-tinning wire ends and pads, and every time you use the soldering iron - doesn't matter the solder has flux in it already.
  • I did not flatten the wire initially, no, but I did pin down the wire end tightly, using my favorite bent head needlenose pliers shown below. I try to sneak them in pics from time to time
  • With an open pill top, this should be easy. I added a solder blob to the small wedge solder tip of my Hakko 888, the pressed down from the side on the wire - hold it a sec or two so everything melts nice, then pull it off stroking sideways.
  • I use about 700F temp on the iron, always use a small wedge shape tip no matter how small I'm soldering. A pointy tip doesn't get enough heat to the joint you are soldering.
  • Also, I don't follow the rules - I almost always apply solder to the tip of the iron, then apply the tip to the joint, hold a sec to heat up things - always seem to get a good flow, again, no expert would recommend this method, but I can't afford another hand to hold the solder in, to apply the solder and iron tip together.

Needle-nose pliers I use, Z1 on left, Cometa on right

Just in case you didn't get it, Pai Mei is the Chinese master from Kill Bill...

Once upon a time in China, some believe around the year one double-ought three, head priest of the White Lotus Clan, Pai Mei, was walking down the road, contemplating whatever it is that a man of Pai Mei's infinite power contemplates – which is another way of saying "who knows?" – when a Shaolin monk appeared on the road, traveling in the opposite direction. As the monk and the priest crossed paths, Pai Mei, in a practically unfathomable display of generosity, gave the monk the slightest of nods. The nod was not returned. Now, was it the intention of the Shaolin monk to insult Pai Mei? Or did he just fail to see the generous social gesture? The motives of the monk remain unknown. What is known were the consequences. The next morning Pai Mei appeared at the Shaolin Temple and demanded of the Temple's head abbot that he offer Pai Mei his neck to repay the insult. The Abbot at first tried to console Pai Mei, only to find Pai Mei was inconsolable. So began the massacre of the Shaolin Temple and all sixty of the monks inside at the fists of the White Lotus. And so began the legend of Pai Mei's five-point-palm-exploding-heart technique.

Hmmmm…………OK…. :+1:

What about solder tip style? Does that make any difference ???
I can do super nice little petite ‘blobs’…. but the super nice flat like Tom E posted is eluding me totally. :person_facepalming:

I have been pre-tinning & pre-flattening. Wires are being held pretty good but I’ll double check that. Maybe I need more heat……
Whatever it is… the flat solder like in the picture I have not been able to duplicate… or even come close. :person_facepalming: … :wink:

Thanks for the advice …… :+1:

EDIT: Oops, I didn’t see post 496 till after I posted this one. It may have answers. :wink:

OK………… :+1:
Thank you Tom E, after reading what you wrote………. “ALL has been made clear”. :wink:

There are several thing I need to do differently…. the biggest one may very well be to change tip styles.

Thank you…. :slight_smile:

Thanks Tom. Nice tips.

Same as teacher. Mine both arrived today contents in good shape. First impression. Threads and zoom superior to all others I have. Extremely and noticeably well built. Well lubed. Waiting on another order prior to begin.