GU10 light fixture conundrum

I bought this on clearance, but i did not realize it uses a GU10 bulb, even though it comes with one, in an on/off usage profile of less then a minute at a time the bulb will be dead in a few months to a year (a CFL quirk) so i would prefer to use one of my LED bulbs.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/star-collection-1-light-chrome-wall-sconce-with-linen-glass/902420

Adapters that convert GU10 to regular Edison socket are widely available in the US, but not in Canada, and replacing the socket is not feasible since the spin on collar shown in the following picture is what holds the shade on the light.

Any ideas before i return it, chinese websites sell these adapters, and as much as i am thinking what could go wrong i’m not sure i can trust it to be safe enough to use.

Adapters are okay as long as heat from the light won’t make it brittle in under 2 hours

Your only risk is design and lightbulb going shaky flickers

What about a gu10 LED bulb?

Maybe not what you want to hear, but I’ve purchased a pair of these GU10 COB lights to use in a stove vent hood fixture, and they’ve been great (for about a month so far).

http://www.gearbest.com/led-light-bulbs/pp_25899.html

I’ve gotten some junk LED bulbs from GearBest in the past, but these seem unusually good. The COB emitter array seems to generate less heat than the four-individual-emitter bulbs these replaced. This model is available in CW/NW/WW options. I purchased the NW option, and it turns out to have a very nice clean tint that works very well in this application.

I’m worried that the GU10/E27 adapter will add too much length to your bulbs, making them look goofy sticking out of a fixture…

I just looked at the photo of your sconce fixture… If it’s going to be pointing up, these bulbs might not work well for you as they are still a directional beam. The are very floody, and work very well for my applications, but wouldn’t give you the 360-degree illumination you would need.

What about something in this form factor

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gu10+led&rlz=1Y3TXLS_enGB552GB552&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIstXD3JzvxgIViQfbCh3caAvR&biw=384&bih=511#imgrc=LfUbtgR8ZpNVrM%3A

IMO the, GU10 standard is superior over the Edison standard: more compact, more robust. Find yourself some quality GU10 led bulbs, all major manufacturers have them (perhaps not Cree?).

I looked for LEDs at 60W equivalent, nothing under $10 (that is from a reputable store), and i have half a dozen new Edison LEDs (philips, sylvania) that i got for $1-3 each waiting to be used.

I am not willing to buy an LED bulb from a chinese store, i would consider the adapter because its a piece of plastic with metal, no electronics or anything else but i am still hesitant to get even that.

In addition the room needs flood lighting, a CFL/incandescent beam profile. However a cheap brand name LED with normal beam profile in GU10 would be fine because it should last decades before needing replacement

I see, no, gu10 is exclusively in use for directed light bulbs, it seems. A pity actually.

A brand name led bulb for $1-$3 sounds like heavily subsidised btw.

the fixture came with one GU10 CFL bulb, but in the usage profile of on/off with rarely more then a few mins use it would burn a CFL very quickly.
I got the bulbs on clearance sales, so they no longer sell them, but considering the newer models are lower quality and designed to cut purchase price (and the philips ones only last 10k hours) i am happier with these bulbs which originally cost $10-20 each.

If it makes any difference the base is GU24, i don’t know where i got GU10 from.