Guess the place (the game)

Hashima / Gunkanjima… A.K.A. Battleship Island.

Yep, Hashima Island in Japan.

Your turn!

I’ll stick to the same theme with a few photos from one of my own explorations:

An abandoned skyscraper in central Bangkok.

You should be able to do better than that…

A ghost tower of Bangkok, Thailand.

During a business trip to Asia with Sylvia as company I could usually get the evenings off, so one evening in Bangkok we decided to go and take a look at an abandoned skyscraper. It was being built in the mid nineties and was almost completed when the Asian financial crisis struck, forcing the developers to abandon the construction of what was going to be one of the more upscale apartment buildings in the city. Since then the economy has recovered but as this building has been neglected for so long the costs to restore it way surpass the costs of building new from scratch. And since it is located in central Bangkok, squeezed in amongst other buildings, houses, roads and train stations, it is too big of an undertaking to demolish. So it just stands there as new skyscrapers are born around it, a ghost amongst the living and a reminder of the financial crisis that caused to many big plans like this to be abandoned.

An evening after working we headed over to the skyscraper, but our access was denighed by aggresive stray dogs and sealed off staircases...

So we returned a couple of weeks later during daylight... with a plan...

We bought chicken from a food stall and bribed the dogs...

And brought climbing gear with us to climb the elevator shaft and pass the sealed off staircases...

And we we're in! Our plan worked like a charm...

Now we had an abandoned 48 story skyscraper to ourselves.

With it's own swiming pool on the roof of the abandoned parking house next door.

The green skyscraper in view is a new one being built...

Which hopefully will not meet the same fate as this one...

which was rather close to completion before it was abandoned.

The main structure had been built...

Interior work and electrical installations where undergoing...

Once completed it would have been a very luxurious place to live...

Located at what then was considered to be one of the best locations in Bangkok...

Less than 200 meters from a central BTS station...

On the edge of an old commercial part of town...

and a new international business zone...

Considered as probably the best place to overlook the grand cityscape and the Chao Phraya river that runs right through the heart of it.

Visiting this skyscraper is not without risk. Watching where you put your feet is essential.

The top, 48 stories up...

a construction site that the workers just left...

provided a great view of Bangkok.

Now we just had to walk the staircase 48 floors down...

Abseil the elevator shaft past the sealed off parts, throw the remaining chicken to the dogs to keep them happy, and we were out...

A ghost tower of Bangkok... And it's not the only one either... Maybe I'll get to see another one next time.

That’s my Flikr account yes, but as you may have noticed I did not write the name of the place anywhere… I was not going to make it that easy :slight_smile:

“An abandoned skyscraper in Bangkok” is kind of like me answering “An abandoned island outside of Nagasaki” on your image. There is more than one abandoned skyscraper in Bangkok, just as there is more than one abandoned (more or less) island outside of Nagasaki.

The I.E. Tower located in the Huai Khwang District of Bangkok.

Sathorn Unique Tower

That’s not the one… I’m more to the south west.

Sathorn Unique Tower

That’s the one!

Although I have a picture to post, I'm going to forfeit my turn because I need to get some sleep.

See ya tomorrow, BLF!

And I thought I was brave and bold.

As fun as that looks, crawling up an elevator shaft is probably not for me, though it looks easy with all the holds available.

Guess the place!

Cherry Blossom Avenue, “Heerstraße”, Berlin, Germany

Here:

Nope.

Bonn, Germany

Correctamundo!

Borobudur, Magelang, Java, Indonesia.

That photo does not do the temple justice. I personally think it looks amazing.

pass

Nice job with the different angle BTW.