Guide: how to flash ATtiny13a based drivers (NANJG, QLITE, etc.) with custom firmware

Thanks for the note. I measure a short between pins (1 and 8) or (4 and 5). I’m still confused with chip orientation… I don’t see the connection on the pcb, just on MM. I’ll post pics when I can,hopefully today.

Pin 4 is ground. There is a mark on top of the mcu at Pin 1. Follow the trace at Pin 5.

Ok. Makes sense. If Pin 4 is ground and if Pin 5 is connected to ground, this connection must be cut to unlock flashing of the MCU?

The pin-5 issue in some Convoy drivers is here.

Is every flashlight suitable for the method described by the OP?
I’m thinking of buying an ultra cheap light that I’ll only use for practicing what the OP described and likely have a go at making some little changes in the code.

No. Far from all flashlights use the ATtiny mirco processors. To start learning I think your better off getting a separate driver and hooking it up to a LED and power source with switch. It will be much faster to learn if you do not have to re-assemble a flashlight between each change. If you get in to serious firmware development, then you might want to make something like this:

I feared the answer is no. :slight_smile:
I also guess it’s very hard to know if there is an ATtiny in a flashlight.
I’ll just buy a good driver from one of the sellers on this forum. Any advise on which driver is most beginner friendly?

One of the reasons I wrote I wanted to buy an ultra cheap flashlight for testing was that I don’t want to re-assemble as you advised.

… or you build a prototype device on breadboard. Saves a lot of time. My latest test device:

Like Mike C said, not all lights use the ATtiny processor, which this guide is focused on.

If you are looking to buy an inexpensive light with an ATtiny based driver, a good option would be a Convoy S2, or a Convoy C8 if you want something with a bit more throw when the driver is back in the light.

Here’s the Convoy store, & you can also get good deals from some of the other popular stores on these lights if you look around for deals.

…or you could just buy the driver separately.

I don’t really care about the throw and output. Even 1 lumen would be fine.
But your idea is a good idea because I think $11 is a good price because that includes everything I need. Buying separately may be more expensive. If I fry the driver I still have a nice host for a DIY project.

Does the Convoy S2 + have a ATtiny?
The S2 model is sold outside the shop, but I prefer buying in the shop and not on the main aliexpress site, because that may have fake Convoys….

Yes, most of the smaller convoy range has the ATtiny 13a.

The Convoy store on Aliexpress IS the main store. This is where Simon, the owner, is.
http://s.aliexpress.com/Qn2mEvU3

Hi JasonWW,
I know. Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. Inside Aliexpress there is a Convoy store. But on the main Aliexpress site there are also Convoy items sold.
For example” this Convoy flashlight”:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powerful-LED-Flashlight-Convoy-Waterproof-Electric-Torch-Zaklamp-USB-Linterna-Light-Battery-MP3-Music-Player-FM/32837705177.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.72.43eafdc4DX1qoL&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10151_10065_10068_10344_10342_10546_10343_10325_10340_10548_10341_10084_10083_10304_10307_10615_10313_10059_10534_100031_10604_10103_10142,searchweb201603_1,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=d3e85857-9f30-440e-bb85-daced0d5f71e-10&algo_pvid=d3e85857-9f30-440e-bb85-daced0d5f71e&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=2 isn’t for sale in the official store

I don't think that's a real Convoy.

Exactly, Convoy looks sturdy and classy. That ‘Convoy’ looks like the opposite.
That one is easy to spot, but other rip-offs may look quite similar on the outside.

Aliexpress is like Ebay. It’s made up of many different stores all over the world that share a common payment system. Just like with ebay, you have to make sure you buy from reputable sources.

Banggood and Gearbest are also reputable.

They are simply resellers who buy the same stuff seen on sites like Ali and ship them from a common warehouse.

True, but they don’t want their reputation hurt if they accidentally sell non-genuine Convoy items. This happened to one of them about a year ago and once it was brought to their attention, they corrected it. I can’t remember the details, maybe somebody else can fill those in.

Elfeland in Aliexpress also sells genuine Convoys, along with other genuine brands. They sometimes sell at a lower price than Simon’s Convoy store.

A flashlight with MP3 player, TF card support, Speakers, headphone jack?? Shut up and take my money

They do sell genuine convoys but a whole bunch of their tiny action cameras they sold were fakes.

You sound like Mick Dundee mate.

Now this, is a real convoy.

These lights may be sturdy and powerful, but nevertheless I don’t think this Convoy is genuine either.