HaikeLite MT03 & MT07 Group-buy Closed

Just received the MT07 Buffalo NW 4S. Initial impression is luke warm at best. I have an old triple (Dry) that’s reported to be about 1500 lumen. The MT07 is not much brighter in the spills. Yes, it throws further but still modest improvement for what was listed as 4500 lumens vs an old 1500 lumens.

Here’s my initial opinion:

Cons: shoelace instead of a proper paracord/lanyard, gritty feeling and sounding when screwing on and off the tail cap, power switch is not lit blue as described (makes me wonder about the build quality of the other components), only one O-ring on the tail cap side, the tail cap has etched on it the model of MT03 Devourer instead of MT07 so this really screams rush job, throw is no where as impressive as the photos but likely related to the relatively low power output, battery tube is too short so it feels very front heavy when holding it in the hand shake position as the pinky and pad of the wrist is not supporting the weight when the front wants to tilt downward.

Pro: heavy piece of metal that lends itself to mods (but sadly I don’t mod), maybe the power switch not lighting up blue can be seen as a tiny positive to increase runtime. Aside from the thread, the overall build quality is acceptable, lastly the UI works well for me.

Overall: Light has a lot of potential but received in the condition that I did, I would not buy again. It’s too much of a lottery for the price. If it would have produced the 4500 lumens then I could put up with the rest but for now between the low output and the unbalance feeling from the short tube it’s a pass. I hope haikelight will offer longer tube option or re-design in a way that the index finger can sit higher up to allow the pinky and wrist pad to sit on the light.

with the ppl reporting underperforming lights , can you tell us which driver you have received?

I wonder if it’s stepping down from the beginning, instead of after so many minutes if the temperature has reached a certain level…

He replies in 24 hours. You will probably get refund for batteries, I got refund for a custom name that they didn’t print, 2 days ago.

interested both MT03 & MT07, depending on the price.

Got my MT07 cw and only strobe was working. Loosened the battery tube from the head 1/8th of a turn and now works as advertised. I don’t believe the lens is AR coated. Also got the shoe string!

I`m also waiting.

I'll wait for 2 more weeks and if it has not arrived than, I ask a Paypal dispute to

Alva claimed to me that he is making a new light, it’s 2-3mm longer in the body and a different silicone material for the switches and some other stuff.
He is supposed to have contacted me back but of course I’ve heard nothing, so waiting until the 2nd or so and try with him one more time and if nothing then PP.

Just got home to test out my new light, unable to power up. Unscrew everything and make sure that the driver retaining ring is tighten, still nothing. my battery is fine.

What batteries? You need GA's or button tops, though I don't totally trust GA's with those blocking plastic pieces in there.

If the batteries are ok, I'd check the driver retaining piece - make sure it's tight.

The battery problem is why I didn't accept running this group buy...

I’m using a button top batteries. Turns out the bottom PCB of the battery tube that was send to me was aligned the wrong way. The screw is so worn out that i nearly cant unscrew to access the bottom PCB.

After testing with my multimeter and make the correct adjusted the light is able to turn on :laughing:

so far to my eye the light is slightly brighter than my convoy L6 on turbo, and turns hot very quick.

If every one is now receiving the 4s driver that could be the issue? The Sany GAs can only put out like 10 amps max but the MT03 is wanting more then that maybe up to 13amps? Also depends on if the LEDs are they 6 or 12 volts? Some of the excess voltage is turned into amps but that depends on the efficiency of the driver?

I think there is no way yous are getting such bad results from the MT03 unless its faulty. So it could be a bad battery contact or the driver.

Oh boy, again, bad assembly. This means of course they can't be doing any final sanity testing, at a minimum. Wondering now if they are confusing 4S/2S2P setups - batteries, one way, driver the other way. Wonder if that explains the low output lights. Both the MT07 and MT03 can scream when they are proper. I did just somewhat little tweaks/mods on my MT07 to get it doing 5,300 lumens, ~140 kcd -- resistor mod was the main factor.

Power demand for the leds for the 10000 lumens is not a problem for the 4 GAs. This is independent of emitter configuration or driver type. Ballpark calculation: 10A x 4V x 4 cells = 160W. This is sufficient.

I wonder who started that “10.000 lumens” rumor? To my knowledge the MT03 was never supposed or advertised as a 10.000 lumens light. Specs say: max 8500~9000 Lumens (with the neutral white version more like 7500-8000 lumens). I had a MT03 (2p2s, NW) in my hand that was VERY bright on turbo, don´t have a lumens measuring box or sphere but it was significantly brighter than my Convoy L6 NW and was measured with around 8200 lumens in a calibrated sphere. So that´s what you can expect, and SHOULD expect. After reading all this it appears they manufactured the GB pieces in a hurry or with sloppy QC. I would really appreciate a few words from HAIKELITE in this thread to clear this mess up and give us some info on the “new versions” that are planned. I just ordered a MT03 from BG a few days ago and I´m really worried right now that I receive a lemon. Should probably have waited a few more weeks for the new version. Damn!

K.

maukka measured 10,100 lumens @30 secs here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/42697. This review is confusing, but he repeats this over and over where it tested over 10,000 lumens. Dunno if anyone else measured it in a light box or sphere.

So it's the only best source we have for a true measurement. Ceiling bounce tests -- dunno.

Correct. It’s never advertised as 10000 lumens. From my point of view it’s about ballpark figures.

I’m also curious if any one with a 2S2P driver is getting the low output results—my thoughts are the 4S driver is not pulling the same amperage per LED—- In a way I would have no problem with 5600 lumen output from the MT03 NW if it wouldn’t step down—Heat is no issue with this light like the TN36 or the X7

With all the issues I’ve wondered if they even installed the correct driver to my battery configuration,
I’m wondering if Tom or someone in the expert class can tell me how I could visually look to see if I have a 2S2P driver or the correct driver for my 4S configuration?
Maybe a difference in wiring configuration? I doubt that but asking just the same.

If the battery indicator works you can check using that. Big difference between 8.4V using 2S2P or 4S. With 4S and 8.4V, this means each cell has 2.1V, whereas with 2S2P you have full 4.2V per cell…