headlights, (not) beyond useless IMHO

I absolutely love headlamps. I use them while working on things, jogging at night and hiking/backpacking/camping. Having your hands free for trekking poles, tools, etc is invaluable. Of course I don’t live somewhere that is bug invested so I’ve never experienced that bug issue.

No mushrooms search without my Wizard warm! used in tandem with a linear flashlight: this one, when I find a Boletus and I need hands free for cleaning with knife, is put in pocket or remains hanging around the neck by long lanyard, and if no headlamp, no lighting!

I like headlamps for task work. They do not suit me for night time walks. Not many bugs in my town.

i have an old rayovac modded with a nichia 219 sw45 in my onsite tool box.
best light for working inside industrial cabinets.
wire colors,resistor codes,ect.
hard to beat it.
have gotten a few dork comments mostly from the younger guys that move stuff around or sweep floors.
most common comments from machine operators though is i want one.
used to carry extras with cheapie chargers and 18500’s.
the guys that bought them love em.
a good headlamp in my line of work is vital.
watched a tech from anca work on an rgx for a week.
since it was under warranty the shop called him.
he gave up and flew back to his office.
it was losing the +24 line somewhere in the machine and he could not find it.
i found it in about 30 minutes.once i knew what color that line was it stuck out like a sore thumb.setscrew loose in a barrier strip.

I believe you have been spoilt with your upbringing Mr Miller. Some members of society would consider your problem as a feast. :stuck_out_tongue:

:bring ’em on!

Unless I can grow a third arm, then I find headlamps very useful.

+1 for headlights

my flavor is 219C modified

about the only real problem i have had with bugs and headlamps was camping out in the woods where our group was close to a nest of european hornets.
had a few ram the light.none stung anyone but they sounded like airplanes coming at us.once we moved a few hundred feet from the nest they stopped.
most hit the atv headlights rather than the head mounted one.
i turned it off till i was out of the area.no big deal.

I have used many different headlamps outside and I have noticed some tints seem to attract bugs faster than others. The warmer tints tend to be better than the cooler tints but that may be because the warmer tints are less powerful. I’m not sure, I haven’t done any sort of testing, just an observation that may be wrong.

I’d like to have some type of shoulder mount instead of a headband. I find them irritating and sometimes sweaty

I don’t like conventional headlamps, because the straps tend to foul my hearing aids. All of my EDC AAA lights have the clips set to allow headlamp use on my baseball cap visor, though. That’s been very handy on many occasions.

I used my smallest headlamp last night to change out my brake pads in the dark. I am officially converted; this was my first time using a headlamp as intended and it was more useful and less annoying than I had expected. I was actually using 2 of them, one to light the general area and the little one on my head. Pretty cool stuff.

For the record, Zebralight H600 to light the general area and an XTAR H2 on my noggin.

PS - No mosquitos but there was one big beetle who “buzzed” me then bounced off the car.

I started working on cars from the age of 16. when I was young I only had those 110V tube lights that were super bright but had terrible issues, flickered and were never able to light the right spot. Used flashlights next - try using an air tool/impact driver with one hand. It won’t work.
Once I ordered my first headlight for 2 bucks off of ebay I could finally fix my cars with 2 hands again. I also have a Thorfire 18650 sense headlight, but haven’t had a chance to use it extensively yet.

But I have to admit that I hate things that are attached to my head; sometimes that is the only option though.

If I was only allowed to own one light it would definitely be a headlight. Been a night trout/walleye fisherman for years and have had more bugs crawling on me during hatches then most people could possibly imagine. As long as they don’t bite they’re my friends.

Haha……you get near the water here in East Texas when the May flies are hatching /Mating and it don’t matter what light you turn on , you are literally covered up in them within seconds.

I have had them cover the entire bottom of my boat 3 to 4 inches thick within a 10 minute span and had to retreat for the night and give up on fishing.

There have been swarms so large a few times , the weather radars pick them up and they show as a large storm on the radar even. SO headlamp or no headlamp you are in trouble during the may fly season.

But personally I do use a headlamp outside alot when I am doing reviews of other lights or need hands free otherwise.

Gotta say, I love my headlamps so much that I’m never without one. That being said, I don’t particularly care for having one on my head long term. Thank goodness we don’t have as many flying critters at night here in Hawaii or I might be less of a fan.

Such a funny thread) Any kind of night outdoor activity is impossible without headlamp.

When backpacking or just general camping or basically anything in the dark where I need my hands, headlamps are awesome. The q8 I have coming will mostly sit on the nightstand for lighting up the entire house when my wife hears a scary noise. Having your light source of to the side of your body while creeping down the stairs gives the bad guys a safer spot to shoot at if they can even see :slight_smile:

I use my headlamps all the time, indoors and outdoors, especially when I need both hands for some task. I don’t live in an area that’s overly buggy, but when bugs are a problem I use repellent.