headlights, (not) beyond useless IMHO

I use my headlamps all the time, indoors and outdoors, especially when I need both hands for some task. I don’t live in an area that’s overly buggy, but when bugs are a problem I use repellent.

Well after reading all the good experiences I have clipped that on the road clone thingy on my cap last night.
And bug season is over so yes it was practical :slight_smile:

I couldn’t live without my headlamps to be honest. I use them when I’m working on electronics and anything small since my 65 year old eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. I don’t use them for general use.

I love my Zebralight headlamp when cycling at night in rural areas and forest trails. It’s fantastic to be able to see wherever I look, not just directly ahead of me where my bike light is illuminating.

I use neutral white, and don’t have much of a problem with insects. But obviously, I’m not sitting still most of the time. When bugs are bad (early summer), it can be a bit annoying with them lighting up right in my face. I don’t think it attracts them, I just see them a lot more. Now that it’s fall, fog is an issue with a headlamp, because it scatters back right in my eyes. I just turn it off when going through fog.

I haven’t tried hiking with it when bugs are bad. I just avoid going out at night when mosquitoes can drain all my blood within minutes. But at this time of year, it’s great to use when hiking.

Personally I carry a headlamp long before I carry a handheld flashlight. I do tons of camping, canoeing, fishing and hiking and having hands free is a must. Even working on the truck, cleaning the interior of it etc is a huge benefit to having hands free. Lots of the time my flashlights collect dust while my headlamps get heavy use. The flashlights come out when I need bigger illumination than what my headlamps provide.

Insects are sensitive to the UV spectrum, but can’t perceive orange / red / IR wavelengths:

Never had a head torch before, but I was curious so I’ve got an Imalent HR20 on order (which probably wouldn’t be the first choice for a lot of people, but it was cheap and I couldn’t resist - and who knows, I might really like the steeples dimming!). And I’m very interested in the HC70, so hopefully there will be a good GB price.

Besides, I have ordered an NU10 for my 5-year old nephew, so those glowing third eyes seem to be drawing me towards them, whispering ‘Look at me, look at me, buy me, buy me!’ … :slight_smile:

i still dont have any headlight, just ordered skillhunt h03 to see how “useless” it is
tail standing and tail magnet imo will make it a very useful light