Hello All, Cygnus Here

Hello from Cygnus from the Midwest USA. Ive been into flashlights for some time now. I have owned a few more premium brands such as Olight, SureFire, and Nitecore. All nice lights, but too expensive for someone on my budget to keep collecting, though Nitecore has some pretty reasonably priced lights.

Then just a week ago, I got into some more budget friendly lights. My first was a Wurkkos FC13S. XHP50.2 emitter, 5000-5700K, very nice, floody beam. Very clean light with a slight green ring around the center at close distances. Beyond 10ft, it isn’t so noticeable. Love the available light modes and the choice between smooth ramping and stepped.

My next light was again a Wurkkos, this time a TS11. My first introduction to the Anduril interface with V2. Was curious as to how such a small thrower would perform. Incredible amount of throw for such a small light. SFT40 emitter, 6000-6500K. Anduril confused me for a minute, I will admit. However, after carefully reading the manual and watching a couple videos explaining it, I dont know how I ever found it confusing in the first place. I can be kind of slow at times :rofl: This light is all throw, very little usable spill. Great for seeing things at distances, but not great for up close or medium range use.

My third, and new EDC light, is a FC13 with the SFT40 emitter. It is a great combination of throw with still having very usable spill for up close to medium range use. My favorite thing about these two Anduril interface lights and the way Wurkkos set them up is the aux LEDs under the button. I have it set up so they come on in low in standby in the voltage display mode. Makes it easy to find quickly at night or in low light if needed, and having the battery voltage displayed at a glance is wonderful as well.

I have been considering an Emisar light as my next purchase. Ive looked at them on and off for a while. While all of the options are nice, it can make it difficult to really know what to go with, Ive been considering a dual-channel type. Having two types of emitters in the same light would be nice. If anyone could give me ideas on how to set one up, that would be great.

What I would like in it:
One type of high output emitter, perhaps between 2-3K lumens, neutral to cool white color temp, decent combo of throw and spill. Something that would be good for mid-range use.
Other emitter would be a high-CRI emitter for close up use, like when working on a vehicle where being able to distinguish colors on such things as wires would be important.
I dont know enough about the different emitters and what changes between domed and dedomed would be to make a good, informed decision on what to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 Thanks

Welcome Cygnus :slight_smile:

Hello there, welcome.

Im not sure the dual channel is necessary for this, something like an emisar d4k with 519a 5700k emitters is capable of at least 3k lumens on turbo, whilst still having high CRI light. People normally have a dual (or triple) channel light if they want it to have one of:

• CCT ramping, so it varies from cool to warm light
  • spot/flood ramping (something floody like a lh351 or 519a domed twinned with something throwy like a w2)
  • colour/UV switching, these are pretty niche where you can put a pure colour emitter in (pink, red, blue, etc) or UV.

You could just get a single channel one, or you might like one with the spot/flood ramping mentioned above. The single channel boost driver is more efficient but with a lower turbo, also something to consider.

The DM1.12 is also one to look at, a bit bigger but more capable

1 Thank

Welcome, have fun!

Thanks for signing up, Cygnus!

Welcome! :wave:

Welcome.
I own few emisar/noctigon lights. Hank offers lots of options of leds and few options of lenses.

For dual channels lights the only available optic is pretty small tir lenses, he offers spot and flood, due to their size even throw lenses will not give you a narrow beam, in reality one is floody, the other not so much. also some leds have smaller chip and produce narrower beam than others with same optic.
So for your 2-3k lm, I would get spot lenses, e21a and w2 would give you a bit narrower beam than other leds, but not dramatically narrower, w2 is only available in 6000k cool white. so if you want neurat to cool I would stay within 4500-5000k, sst20 or 519 leds, For warm i would get around 3000k.
Dedomed emiters give you narrower beam, and warmer tint if its dome was cut off, as opposed to leds that come with no dome from factory, so if 5000k led was dedomed it will look warmer than 5000k, but if a 5000k led came with no dome from factory, it will be 5000k. however dedomed leds, (whether cut off, or no dome from factory sometimes have beam artifacts. with domed leds beams are smooth, thou with multiple leds those imperfections are hardly noticeable.
I have 9.3 with 9 main leds and 3 secondary, the more leds the longer you can run them at 2-3klm without overheating, you can get a small light with 4 leds total, but you will get less lumens and you will have to drive them harder, they will get hotter sooner.

There’s always the DM1.12. IMO one of the best flood/throw lights to exist.

That said, for something a bit smaller, the D4S gets relatively good throw with W1 too, as that has an optic that’s larger and deeper than the Carclo.

An option that hasn’t been mentioned is a mule, or a semi-mule (not sure I have the term right) which uses a new? optic-ish thing that Jackson Lee sells that I forget the name of! I’ll come back and leave a new reply once the words/names come to me : )

Zhu hybrid mule:

I think another category of dual or triple channel lights should be:

Whatever two emitters you wanna have in the same flashlight Just Because