Hello from airsoft society.

Josh, by the way most of the flashlights mentioned here use an LED (Light Emitting Diode) as opposed to the traditional incandescent bulb which you mention. The LEDs have either higher CRI (color rendering index) below 5000K (more yellowish) or lower CRI when above 5000K (whitish). K stands for Kelvins which is a score for color temperature. The higher the K, the brighter it is. But while the brightest LED is 7000K, it distorts colour rendition and ‘bleaches’ it. At 7000K, the white light may even get a bit green or blue in tint. Incan bulbs typically have lower K and look yellowish.

LEDs consume less power and produce more lumens than incan bulbs (more efficient). LEDs last an average 50,000 hrs whereas incan bulbs last an average of 1,000 hours. LED flashlights don’t burn out so easily and can withstand impact. LEDs also make your batteries last longer but incan bulbs will deplete battery power very fast. Disposable batteries are called primary cells (eg alkalines, Lithiums) but recycleable batteries are called rechargeable cells (Ni-Mh, Li-ions).

The incan bulb which consists of a filament in a glass bulb containing inert gas is almost getting extinct like the dodo. There are some purists amongst us who still swear by bulb flashlights like argon, krypton, xenon and even HID (high intensity discharge). The yellowish halogen incan bulbs typically have a rating of 3200K and 100 CRI. The whitish mercury-vapor incan bulbs have a rating of 6410K and only 17 CRI. Incan bulbs can burn out easily and cannot withstand impact which can crack the bulb too.

Sorry if i made is sound like i did, but i dont want an incan light. I do want an LED. I was just saying i may want a 1 LED light instead of the 3 led light that was recomended because many of the reviews said the battery life was horrid.

Who’s said battery life is horrid for the 3T6? IIRC mine drew…four and a half amps stock, which was more like 1.5amps per cell, if using 3 18650’s, which means if you use the high-quality cells like the Panasonic NCR18650B, you’d have a couple hours of battery life. Now, I tried powering my 3T6 with 4 rechargable AA’s and it lasted all of 20 minutes on high. :smiley:

Why would you pick that over the Skyray King? Just curious, not doubting your choice.

-Jamie M.

Jamie:
Battery options are much better (in my opinion) for the TR than the SRK

Jake:
Battery life is terrible with AAs, but pretty good with lithium

I see. The skyray King you can run it on one 18650, two, three or four, so I like that about it. And I promised myself I’d NEVER run a light that runs its batteries in series.

-Jamie M.

I suppose that’s pretty good too. I can’t imagine it doing well on one 18650 though. I just really like the ability to use AAs or CR123s in a pinch, since I’m the only one around here that uses 18650s, and my SAR team always has tons of extra AAs available whenever we go out.

On high I’m sure the battery life wouldn’t be that great with a single 18650, but it does hold the brightness well, a single one of those NCR18650B’s can eat up the 5 amps without much drop.

I didn’t notice what you used your lights for, so I guess in that case, availability of different battery options is very handy.

-Jamie M.

That’s pretty impressive if it can put out it’s full brightness on a single 18650! I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t work nearly as well with my laptop pack pulls.

I’ve been eyeing the SRK for a while, I just couldn’t bring myself to spend the money on it right now, but its definitely a very good option to consider.

You should really try one! The new U2 led version is very efficient (uses a new digitally regulated driver too, 4.2 amps).

It’s only three mode though (high, low, hidden strobe) so not sure if that’ll be perfect for ya.

Once you use the SRK it will blow your mind, you should really try it out! If you don’t like it just sell it, easy :wink: It’s the size of a pop can/soda can, so just pretend shining one of those around to get the feel of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRAY-6500Lm-4x-CREE-XM-L-U2-LED-Flashlight-Torch-using-4x18650-batteries-Black-/131039494425

And re: your laptop battery pack pulls, the SRK doesn’t work with flat top batteries :wink: You’d need to solder blob them, or best to run it on these ones: http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001980/1345500-panasonic-ncr18650b-18650-3-7v-3400mah

-Jamie M.

Yeah, it’s definitely my next flashlight, I just really can’t justify the cost right now, maybe in a few months. Drivers aren’t a problem for me, I’ll either reprogram it or build a new one for it.
Oddly enough these pack pulls I have seem to have enough of a top to work where most flat tops shouldn’t. I guess I’ll find out whenever I finally order one. :bigsmile: I payed less for 12 of my cells than that two pack on fast tech. Capacity is only 2200, but honestly that’s never been a problem for me :money_mouth_face:

IIRC they tested around 1900mAh. And yeah, not only is the top slightly higher, but there’s the weld booger remnants and the bottom has a raised center as well.

If they still have the sharp pokey bits on the tops of the batteries don’t use them in the SRK. When you twist on the head after you insert the batteries the batteries rotate against the head. I greased up the contact points on my SRK to make sure my solder blobs slid smooth over them.

-Jamie M.

No weld boogers, I made sure to dremel and sand mine clean and smooth. Sounds like a good way to ruin the contacts. Mine are the Sanyo 2200s from the HP pack posted here a while ago and another set of 6 2400s from another hp pack

Lol, well i guess ill go with the 3t6 and the batteries that were linked, just hope i dont regret buying from China directly. If the batteries are stopped, will they just be delayed or will they never come?

Just to make sure…what 3T6 and what cells? And make sure you factor in a charger.

Here’s another option. People seem to be loving Wallbuys lately and the Trustfire X8 has really good reviews. Even comes with two batteries. The cells it comes with aren’t the best, but they’re not explodey and they should give the light a little under an hour and a half of life on high (~800Lm)

So before i order the things in this post, is there anything else i should know or any other opinions?

And how does it compare to this http://wallbuys.com/Product/TrustFire-X8-XM-LT60-5-Mode-1000LM-Memory-White-LED-Flashlight-with-Batteries-Set-Black-2x18650—10237

Bump… just want last minute confirmation :smiley:

The TF X8 is a darn good light. Look it up, it’s an honest light with a solid 3 amps of power behind it, can run on one or two cells. The Trustfire blues aren’t the best cells, but they aren’t dangerous and together will power that light for about an hour.

Ditch that charger it comes with though. It’s dangerous. I know from an experience that almost happened a couple days ago. And I may be recycling those cells next time I go to the Home Despot.

What cells and charger would you recommend for a safer, and longer battery life.