Hello from airsoft society.

The Trustfire cells are perfectly safe, just sub-par capacity is all. As has been advised before, the Panasonic NCR18650B is the cream of the crop. This light is designed to take protected cells, I doubt that unprotected cells will be long enough to function.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=55
This guy is a member here and ships from inside the USA so you’re guaranteed to get the cells.

Sanyo 2600mAh cells, if you’re balking at the cost of the NCR-B’s

And as others have said before, best entry-level charger is a Nitecore. Again, RMM’s store has it.
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96

lol! I’m not sure how you could make such a claim :frowning: I’ve had three separate problems with xFire batteries. Two caught on fire while charging, and one “failed” in a flashlight.

Lets take a look one of my experiences with their 14500 series batteries…

Trustfire claims their blue label 14500 batteries are “900mah”. It says on the trustfire site for the blue label batteries “Maximum Charge Rate: 1c, Long Life Charge Rate: 0.6c, Maximum Discharge Rate: 2c”.

So, given the 900mah rating, this means we should be able to fast charge it at just a little under an amp (900ma), or for long life charge at 540ma or drain it at 1.8amps.

Take a look at the following discharge test (at 2amps):

The darker line is the 2nd test of the same battery after letting cool, recharging, cool, then re-test. You can see that the trustfire battery was severely damaged from discharging it at 2.2c and its tested capacity on the first test was only 230mah, and the second test only 900mah!!! SCARY! You can see the Sanyo 840mah battery preformed flawlessly under the same test.

This 230ma “real” capacity (or slightly more) led to my first ever charger fire. I was using it in a modified Spik SK68 being driven around 1.8amps. I don’t know if the battery was damaged from this high drain (I had done a runtime test on high, forced air cooled, battery only lasted 7 mins before low voltage protection). I let the battery rest for a few hours then set my charger to its lowest setting of 0.5 amps (under the batteries 0.6c long life charge rating of 0.54 amps) and dropped it in. Approximately 10 mins later I could smell a funny smell and when I checked the battery it was too hot to touch. I picked up the entire charger and ran outside with it and smacked it on the ground to pop the battery out as not to ruin my charger. The battery melted down into a pile of goo :frowning:

I wouldn’t call any “sub-par” battery “safe”. How fast does the performance of the battery deteriorate? Will it be safe to charge it? At what reduced rate over the life of the battery?

Is this crap I should be worrying about? No.

Stick to Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah batteries for your 18650 needs (watch out for fakes on ebay), Sanyo 840mah batteries for your 14500’s and King Kong 26650’s. Best you can get, why risk it?

-Jamie M.

Specifically what -fire? It’s generally agreed that the Trustfire Flames are mediocre, get-what-you-pay cells. And the blue 18650’s that came with my X9 are perfectly fine, if not a little on the low side. But they charge and discharge just fine. Actually, I should runtime test them to compare with the Sony’s I pulled.

Were they real Trustfire cells? The way I understand it the only way to ensure one has real TF batteries is if the cells come with a light or have the little holographic sticker on the shrink-wrap.

My intent was to advise that while he should buy some more, higher-quality batteries, that the cells that would come with the X8 he’s looking at don’t need to be immediately taken to the Home Despot.

TrustFire Flames are the best of their crap batteries, but that doesn’t make them “good”. The two charger failures, as listed, were TrustFire batteries. The flashlight failure was UltraFire.

They were ordered right from Trustfire, so I sure damn hope they were real :wink:

-Jamie M.

I stand educated. :slight_smile:

So for all of you who may care, or even remember me my light came Yesterday :smiley: I got the TrustFire X8 XM-LT60 5-Mode 1000LM. Sadly my batteries have yet to come so i had to use crap stock batteries :,(

First impression: I put the batteries in, and clicked the light on, my first thoughts, wow this thing is a piece of crap, ive seen black holes brighter than this thing. Then, i proceeded to flip the batteries around the correct way and wow just wow. This thing lights the place up, that is for sure. It keeps a nice beam on it and ill be using it tonight whilst coon hunting. Anyway thanks guys for the help.