Help choosing a budget knife

Hello everyone. I consider myself new to knives as of a month ago-ish. Last month was my birth day and family just came out of the woodwork with knives as gifts. So I am use to name brand knives so far, so here is what I own:

Kershaw Leek, Skyline, Storm

Leatherman E33L

Case OHO linerlock knife

Case slipjoint

SOG Flash 2

Spyderco Tenacious

All of those knives I did not buy as they are gifts. Now I realize that those knives are not what I would call budget. However my start in knives is with quality, so my question is do budget knives have the same quality or do you get a lesser steel in the klnife? I want a quality folder to add to my collection and have no idea where to start. Here is what I think I like/want:

2-3 inch blade

plain edge blade

lockback, axis lock as my stuff is liner lock, but still will take a liner lock

prefer some sort of blade launcher but not a must have

assisted opening is ok

prefer tip up carry but this is not a big deal

my two favorite knives are the Kershaw Storm and Spyderco Tenacious that I own

I like the heavier weight of the Kershaw Storm and how smooth it is

I hope this helps in leading me in to the world of budget knives.

If you're interested in an Axis Lock knife, the SanRenMu 763 is at the top of many lists around here (I have one and like it). It's made by the exact same company that makes the Tenacious and the Byrd line of knives for Spyderco in China. For a lockback you could look at the Sanrenmu 786

They will have the exact same steel as the Tenacious.

If you want to pay slightly more for a lockback you could also look at the Byrd Meadowlark or Robin. These are heavier knives for the size because they have relatively thick steel liners in them.

Unfortunately, there are very few knives with back or axis locks that use a flipper/blade launcher design, because the lock would get in the way of the flipper. If you'd like that feature you'd have to stick to liner locks (or pay a lot more money).

Hi there, simpleman - are you sure you want to go here? Going down the "budget" knife route will eventually lighten your wallet considerably, make your mailman start grumbling, and fill your drawers and boxes full of nice, inexpensive knives. Nice - if you pick the right brands. And you won't find them on DealExtreme.

Check out the big "budget dealer" thread if you have a few hours. Sanrenmu might be the best starting point for blades in the 2-3" range. These knives will rival or exceed the quality of many of the knives you've listed. And most can be had for $9 or less. Most are liner locks, but there is an interesting axis lock - model 763. It's very light, though; nice for carry but might seem lacking if you prefer heft. For heft, consider the 710 - it's one of the "essential" Sanrenmu knives to own, regardless of weight. It's a liner lock.

Good luck in your search!

What about the SanRenMu 6261, or the SanRenMu 763 , or even the SanRenMu 702?

Link to some Videos , if you haven't seen them.

I own a lot of knives some expensive ones to but this assisted Smith and Wesson knock off from DX is my favorite. I treat my knives like my lights they are tools I use them, I break them sometimes I loose them and I don't want to be upset when I loose or break a hundred dollar knife or light that's why I like the budget stuff it performs the same task at a fraction of the price.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stainless-steel-manual-release-folding-knif...

Hello everyone. :) I just bought three SRM knives. SRM 701, 710, and 763. So now I wait for about a month for my new folding toys. :) Thank you all for the help and for helping me learn. :)

Good choices, they'll be worth the wait. The 710 is a frame lock, btw - not a liner lock like I posted earlier. Same principle - a frame lock is like a thick liner lock without the grip panel covering it. It's actually a stronger mechanism while allowing for a thinner overall grip. Sorry for any confusion.

Those SRMs look really nice I think you are going to be really happy with them.

Now I wait. I feel your pain and now have to wait and wait and wait, etc. LOL :) I guess that is part of the fun. I will forgot that I ordered stuff and be shocked when it does show up. :)

Now to deal with the wait... Shop for some more knives... Agonize over which ones... Make a decision and then... Order more knives...

Repeat until the first batch arrives.

Then you can slow down a bit since the pipeline is full... But remember, you must continue to order more knives regularly so as to avoid the agony of waiting for ones previously ordered.

I hope I'm not threadcrashing, but seing as s1mp13m4n has already ordered, do you guys have any recommendations if the following requirements are to be met:

- Maximum blade length: 7cm(measured from tip to blade handle)

- Can't be opened with one hand

- Can't be locked when folded out

I know this makes for a bit of a dull knife, but the weaponregulation in Denmark is extremely harsh.

You could consider the Sanrenmu AO-H02 but you would have to remove the thumb stud.

Unfortunately not an option. The law specifies how the knife is designed in factory condition, so modding an illegal knife to be legal isn't an option(and could also present import problems in the customs).

The Sanrenmu C142 may be too small for you.

Alternatively you could emigrate.

Seems like you got it worse there then we in Finland. In here only the blade length is regulated (don't even know to what limit) and automatic and assisted-open folders are forbidden. Basically even carrying a Leatherman isn't allowed due to the blade length. But well... I never leave house without one anyway.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but looks like it live up to the criteria. Emigration isn't an option, since the knife isn't for me, but for my father :).

It seems as if all the good knives comes with lockingmechanisms(which makes good sense, except it's illegal here :|)..

I can only agree.

I like your thinking. Order more and more knives so you have a constant supply of pretty yellow packages filling up the mailbox. Good idea. BRB, I am off to rob a bank and get the money so that I can order more knives. Hang on a sec, bad idea as that would kinda throw a kink in me getting the new knives if I get caught, oh well. LOL :)

So don't get caught.... where is the problem? Other alternative is selling the not so liked ones. (Ebay... )

Hi Jacobohl

Sanrenmu actually does have a few two-handed opening non-locking knives. Models you may be interested in are the A148, A123, A103, A80, C117 and C97.

Other inexpensive options include the Spyderco Bug, Spyderco Honeybee and Spyderco Grasshopper. They're specifically designed for sale in the UK, Germany and the Netherlands but the steel is a 420 equivalent - not very hard and will require regular sharpening. Alternatively, you could also look at the Spyderco Kiwi. It's also a slipjoint designed for restricted market and is non-locking, though apparently a few people have run afoul of customs as some officials consider it one-handed opening when it's not meant to be that way. The bonus is that it does have better quality steel. All the Spyderco knives are made by SanRenMu.

Opinel No 5, perhaps ?