Help me choose a throver

Hi!
I am looking for an inexpensive thrower. Under 40 USD.

I was thinking 18650 for fuel since i already have a few sofirn/wurkkos cells kicking around. But i don’t mind getting other universal fuel for my future buys.

I am somewhat proficient in soldering so i dont mind getting parts and assembling light myself, if that means i will have better result in the 40 USD budget.

Also here are some other requisites: modern led, thermal regulation, no shimmer, usb-c charging onboard preferred, anduril maybe(?)

Options i have explored:

• Convoy C8+ with KW CSLNM1.TG;
  • Noctigon KR1, Emisar D1K, Emisar D1 - all need fuel i dont have, but if its the best budget option - might get some flattops, also curently on sale so under budget;
  • Sofirn IF22;
  • Wurkkos ts11 with 18650 tube;

Haven’t looked in to building a light with parts yet. Also don’t mind buying a light of a forum member (depending how much shipping will cost).

Thanks in advance!

1 Thank

I have the Wurkkos TS11 with the extension tube and find it to be an amazing light for its size. Highly recommended, even without the extension tube. And I got mine on Amazon with 30% off coupon, really hard to beat that price/performance factor. Good luck with your search.

I’d get a Convoy with an SFT40 emitter.
https://convoy.aliexpress.com/store/1100591265/pages/all-items.html?sortType=bestmatch_sort&SearchText=sft40&shop_sortType=bestmatch_sort
That’s the most practical throwy emitter, in my opinion.
I prefer 21700 flashlights, and I would suggest the M21A or maybe the M21E, depending on how large of a reflector you want.

3 Thanks

Good luck finding a Sofirn IF22.
They were discontinued a while ago, and Sofirn only manufactures the IF22A anymore, which is a shame because I think the IF22 is better than the IF22A. :slightly_smiling_face:

how does it throw?

1 Thank

Convoy L21B SFT40.

That Convoy C8+ with KW CSLNM1.TG would be good too if you choose to stick with 18650.

2 Thanks

Well, like I said, the SFT40 is the most practical throwy emitter, in my opinion.
It outputs a lot of lumens, throws very far, and has some usable spill.
How far it throws partly depends on how large the reflector is.
In general, the larger the reflector, the more throw you get.
I like Convoy because their flashlights offer a lot of bang for the buck, and Convoy offers more tints and emitters than any other budget flashlight company.
There are also a good number of Convoy throwers to choose from.
You don’t have to get a Convoy, but choosing the SFT40 as the emitter is a no-brainer from my point of view. :brain:

5 Thanks

i rather go with company that values its customers and provides good value.

i think amma go with convoy for my thrower. now i need to choose the fuel, emitter, reflector.
For fuel i rather stay with 18560 for more portability and i already have them on hand. but maybe i can just get something that runs 21700 and just print a spacer for 18650

1 Thank

Oh, I forgot to mention.
The SFT40 also doesn’t overheat quickly, and it has very good high output runtime compared to the more expensive SBT90.2 emitter.
The SBT90.2 is brighter and throws further, but it isn’t very practical compared to the SFT40. :grin:

2 Thanks

I have a Convoy C8+ with an SFT40. I bought an extra orange peel reflector to compare with the default smooth reflector. The beam is more ‘attractive’ to me with the OP but you lose a small amount of throw. I’ve had it like this for a couple months now, but I’m going to switch it back out for the smooth reflector again to compare. Not sure which way I’ll leave it long-term yet.

1 Thank

There’s not much of a difference in portability between the 18650 and 21700, though there can be a big difference in capacity. (It’s only 3 mm more diameter and 5 mm more length, but some 21700s have capacities above 5000 mAh.)

Setting that aside, though, the Convoy C8+ is a great light and it takes 18650s. So there’s really no need to go with a 21700 light unless you want the extra runtime.

2 Thanks

Convoy C8+ with KW CSLNM1.TG is great budget thrower. See W5050, maybe bigger hotspot is better for you.

Mike

4 Thanks

Vic – to clarify, the SFT40 produces more light than either of the two emitters being compared in the video Mike posted. The CSLNM1.TG has the highest candela, due to its very narrow beam. So even though it puts out fewer lumens, they’re concentrated in a very small area. It throws very far and has a bright hotspot.

I haven’t tried a light with the W5050SQ3 in it yet, but based on what I see in the video, it has a wider hotspot and puts out more lumens than the CSLNM1.TG. But it will have lower candela because it spreads the light out over a larger area.

The SFT40 puts out the most lumens of these three, and has a hotspot wider than the CSLNM1.TG. But I don’t know whether the hotspot is wider or narrower than the W5050SQ3, as I don’t have one to compare.

2 Thanks

CSLNM1.TG vs SFT40 in C8+

1 Thank

I should have added that the TS11 I have came with SFT40 emitter. And the reason I chose & recommend it is that it has great throw while also providing decent spill. It’s a great emitter as many have commented here.

2 Thanks

You cant beat the TD01C for the money. This light is off the chart for throw.

5 Thanks

This is probably the best budget USB-C TIR option for getting the max output and practical throw, though the output is unusually low (1242lm at turn-on) for an SFT40 light.

If non-USB-C is ok the Convoy L21B (with SFT40) (tested here) has 68% more lumens and 30% more intensity, while being 20% cheaper.

1 Thank

I have and recommend the C8+ with SFT40 for throw.

1 Thank

I think this video is comparing a PM1 with the SFT40.

1 Thank

I recommend Emisar D1 with SFT40. I like this light so much I ordered 2 more.
I also have C8 but I prefer side switch.
Anduril firmware is another plus for Emisar.

2 Thanks