Help me identify these 18650 cells

is there a website which can find out what battery it is if u type in some codes off the battery ? i heard google does that but cant find any info on these ones.

I think they are chinese cells because the listing looks like its for a generic chinese laptop barttery and have a barcode thing on it.

I will revive this topic as some very good info about identifying 18650’s was posted for Sanyo and Sony. I just opened 3 HP laptop battery packs and found one with Sony’s (all 6 constant at 3.84V) and two with Samsung ICR 18650 24B (huge difference for all 12, had to scrap 6 of them which were below 2.5V). As I already identified the Sony production date, I was curious if anybody knows about the Samsung codification - on my batteries there is SDI 544.
Any help is highly appreciated.

I have some mystery cells, too.

http://i45.tinypic.com/4griac.jpg

One on top is easy, LG 2200mAh. Got 12 of those from a very lightly used pack, work good.

The red one: printed FDMPT2 & a serial number, and either an A or B printed on the other side. Printing is on the cell body with transparent heatshrink, white insulator ring. I got a TON of those from old IBM packs, supposedly they were 'manufacturer reconditioned', but all cells were D-E-A-D when pulled... and revived when stuck in a cheapie 2-bay charger with a good cell, and then took a charge normally, and hold good voltage after and work just OK when load tested, but nothing spectacular.

And the bottom one... HOLY COW. I don't have a clue what it is, but they are monsters. Came from a virtually new aftermarket replacement pack, but it was only a 6-cell. ;[

I don't have a hobby charger or anything to properly check capacity, so here's what I did... all cells fully charged, stuck in a generic 501b/XM-L T6. Checked start voltage, tailcap amps on HI, tailcap amps on LO. Ran each one 70 minutes on LO, and rechecked volts & amps.

The red ones:

start: 4.21 volts, 2.70 amps HI, .51 amps LO.

end: 3.90 volts, 2.27 amps HI, .40 amps LO.

LG 2200mAh:

start: 4.22 volts, 3.81 amps HI, .60 amps LO.

end: 3.88 volts, 2.93 amps HI, .44 amps LO.

The mystery blue cells:

start: 4.22 volts, 4.34 amps HI (what?? lol), .64 amps LO.

end: 3.87 volts, 3.12 amps HI, .46 amps LO.

You guys are utterly crazy … and know what i count me in too :slight_smile:

This battery-pulling is highly infectious. I got an old laptop-battery from a Thinkpad and pulled it open.
The battery was good for about a minute or so in the laptop then it shut down.
I found 6 green cells (SF US18650GR T6A) in it that i just could identify (thanks to this thread) as Sony 2200mAh.

Now to the strange part
I measured them with my DMM and got 4.16V from every cells of the pack.
Hmm… No bad cell ??? I tested them in my EDC (1x18650 ~2.5A) for a few seconds and it worked well

I just learned that waiting a week or so and measuring them again would give me more info.
Is it possible to measure the internal resistance with an DMM?
As i understand a DMM aplies voltage through a measured part to determine resistance
so it should give odd values or am i wrong?

MO

You should be able to calculate the internal resistance for a cell as it discharges, it will probably increase as the cell is discharging. But at any given point it should be the delta V / delta I

(open circuit voltage minus under-load voltage then divide this difference by the load current)

Thanks dchomak

But i’m not shure if i understand.

Delta V —- i.e 4.2/3.8 = 1.10
Delta I —- load current 1A

1.1.0 / 1 = 1.1 Ohm ??? Can this be right ?

Mo

If the open circuit voltage is 4.2 and it drops to 3.8 while drawing 1 amp then the internal resistance would be 4.2 minus 3.8 which equals 0.4V. Divide 0.4V by 1 amp to get 0.4 Ohms internal resistance.

H)

Thanks - Now i get it

Mo

Dang right it is - 12 LGs and 6 generic (but great) cells, for $6 shipped to my door. Seriously. Six dollars!

I got a dell 7 cell pack genuine brand new for 17 dollars. works out to less then 2.45 each.

its green(almost Teal colour not same green as Panasonic) shrink wrap and i think its LG cell labeled as
LGDB118650
G0562602564
EB272D6B1

are they LG cells ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110986706552#ht_500wt_1156

yes

LGDB118650 = LG 1800mAh

The other numbers are lot numbers & serial numbers, the first line is usually the only one useful for ID.

A good one to look for is the big fat OEM battery pack for HP DV4, got 12 LG 2200mAh inside.

I found this, but I don’t understand

my Samsung cell

ICR18650-30A
Samsung SDI
2A55

44D7

J06A
55D21

Why you think so? :slight_smile:

Sorry for digging that up, but I’m almost sure this info is not correct.

I just broke apart my Dell XPS 6-cell pack containing these.
The parameters were 11.1V and 56Wh, which seems to be… 2500? 2600mAh?
The exact code is:

LGDB118650
G29422*
EJ212D2B1

EDIT: Yup, 2600 - those are the same: 18650s from a Dell battery

bak china
2200 mah.
the ones i have do fine in a modded srk.
the avatar is a brick of 96 being charged 96p

Of course, it isn't.

LG Chem cells are identified by two-character code before "1865x" part, in this case it's B1: that is, ICR18650 B1 cell (nominal capacity 2600 mAh, minimum 2500).

Cheers,