Help Needed: Cree XT-E Build for Biofluoroscopy

Oh, on sharing images….this site only links to external hosts. Many people use imgr but some have trouble viewing those. https://postimages.org/ is a good alternative and seems to work for everyone. Drive works, too. You can direct link or you can embed them in your messages using the toolbar icon at the top of the box (for some reason the simple editor here always works better for me with image links than the advanced editor).

As far as why they would be ventrally fluorescent, your guess is as good as mine. I wondered if maybe when they leaped it produces a flash of fluorescence to entice mates or confuse predators. There is probably detectable fluorescence in refracted sunlight, but whether it is detectable by amphibian vision is something that would have to be tested. It is also possible that these pigments being fluorescent is purely coincidence with no measurable effect on fitness (but I think this hypothesis is unlikely). The fluorescence observed in the lymph glands of a species of South American frogs did have emission patterns that very well matched amphibian vision - possibly indicating it has sexual significance.

We’ve learned so much and yet there’s so much more to learn…it’s awesome. I just sit on the sidelines and read articles and findings but I sure appreciate the people like you that are doing the work! Do keep us updated on the light and the work if you can…may not be many people seeing this thread right now with the holidays but I’m sure there are many who share the interest and fascination (about the emitters and Light, too, of course).

Do you have the LEDs you want to use or a supplier that has them —- Seems like it would be nothing to build a Triple or Quad with them — If you want to spend some money — Talk to Vinh — He has that 12 LED board that he builds mules with —Looks like Richard could help you to at Mountain Electronics

Chops728, I do have a Cree model I have tested from mouser. Maybe I can order components from one of these sites. I am new to the world of custom flashlights, what is a mule?

LEDs mounted near the front of the lens… no reflector, no optics:

pic is a link to more info

A mule is a light without any reflector or optic. The light is spread very wide directly from the led, whereas a reflector or optic can focus a beam of varying width depending on equipment. Usually many led’s.

This setup is probably ideal for me as I will be mostly taking macro photo and video of subjects. I already built something similar to a mule with 6 Cree LEDs and had good success.

the floody optics on a 4 LED Emissar D4v2 would probably make an effectively even distributed field of light for photography… without needing to be a Mule

I dislike Mules because they throw diffused light sideways, almost 180 degrees

I would prefer a cone of light, shining forward onto the photo subjects

If you want components deal with Richard Mountain Electronics —— I would think a Triple or a Quad would be sufficient — I’ve built a green Triple Convoy S2+ for hunting

I’m looking into Mountain Electronics and their stuff seems great, but the Cree XTE I need to use isn’t very bright for photography and video, I think I’ll need to use at least 4, preferably 6-9 for best results. But others floated the idea of overdriving the chips which I have not tried.

the Emissar D4v2 uses 4 leds… but it also has Aux lights that you do not need, and the Aux board adds complexity when disassembling to change LEDs

otoh, if you ask, Hank may be able to source and install the LEDs you want.

the DT8 uses 8 leds

both lights are based on a single 18650 battery, which Im confident will give you plenty of power for Macro distance photos of Frog Bellies :slight_smile:

Can you give an idea of how much brighter you need? What current have you been running the single XTE, and how many times faster do you need the exposure to be? I think we can suggest a good light for you, but I need a more specific idea of what you need.

Build a P60 light ( Solar Force etc) with one of those 12 LED mules — Richard has the parts — I’m sure you can find a P60 host some where —Or a light that will accept that 12 Led board

I didn’t have time to look into this more, but I don’t think there is actually anything super special about the XTE’s bandwidth, but rather it’s binning and marketing language. I compared to Luminus SST-20 blue and SFT-20 blue and they are in the same ballpark. XTE by my measurement of the datasheet spectral curve had a fwhm of ~19nm at 50% relative power. The Luminus emitters were rated at 22 and 19nm, respectively. I haven’t check other manufacturers, but I don’t think there is necessarily a reason to limit yourself to the XTE. I could be wrong, but it’s something to consider.

Reflowing any 3535 emitter is super easy. Also, if you make up your mind on what you want them in, I’m sure a member here would offer to do this work for a small fee.

jon_slider, I've been talking to Hank and he is willing to build a light for me. I may take this route, but the more I think about it the more I am leaning toward trying to build a dive light. A non-waterproof light wouldn't be nearly as versatile for me.

EasyB, I used a custom build light with 6xXTEs running at 3V each to take this photo:

I used the following settings: 1/160s, f/3.2, ISO 2500. I think I'll need to increase my speed by 10X+ to get effective video.

JaredM that's extremely interesting. In my research I did not look at Luminous chips, but the other brands I analyzed that had broader bandwidths than the XTE performed poorly (I linked a graph above). From what I am seeing of the Luminus SST-20 they seem like they would also be an effective candidate. I have managed to successfully reflow chips but only by removing the PCB and putting it on a hotplate. When I try using a small heat gun or iron, I burn the chips. Is there another more nuanced method you can recommend?

Everyone: At this point I'd like to make a dive light if possible. (I may also make 3-4 triple-LED lights using mountain electronics for use in surveys with volunteers.) The challenge is this: How do I find a dive light compatible with XTEs/luminous chips? Maybe I can find a dive light and swap out the PCB, is there a way I can get an idea of the PCB diameter in a light? Are they pretty standard sizes?
One of the reasons I want to build a very bright dive light is so I can leave it out with a video rig in the intertidal zone. I read into how some videographers collect tidal footage using a gopro mounted to a cement block. I would drop it off at low tide and then leave it for a few hours until the next low tide and then collect it. This would be great because many organisms hide when exposed at low tide, meaning they can't be easily filmed. But the tide is too dangerous at high tide to swim in.

Sketch of my current idea:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HimVlwtQF2w6CNIcvhOr5tbSVGlSYLBF/preview

Basically it would involve a gopro outfitted with a macro lens and an emission filter taking footage of fluorescent sea life.

Your plan would require a lot of power. One LED at 3V is about 750mA or 2.25W. Times 6 is 13.5W. If you want 10x that it is 135W. For 3 hours that is a 405 Wh battery. One 26650 cell is about 20Wh. So this will have to be a custom solution unless you can work with less brightness.

Have you seen the equipment available at Nightsea here . They use the broader band leds and use appropriate filters to eliminate the excess light. This would give you more choices and you could spend your money on filters instead of flashlights.

Nicky Bay has some awesome macro photos of spiders and other things fluorescing. Check out his gear post for some ideas on macro equipment.

Easy B, I may not need to get as bright as I mentioned, but I have no problem building an array of 20+ batteries if that is what I have to do to obtain high-quality footage. I may start with just 12 LEDs to see if that is sufficiently bright for quality video. I think the challenge will be figuring out a waterproof housing that will fit everything while also not insulating and overheating the LEDs. Thanks.

Scientist, I am aware of Nightsea’s products, they are very good. I will look again at their filters, but I don’t remember them being as narrow of a bandwidth. Thanks for the tip.

One more bit of nausea for you to deal with is that wavelength shifts as you drive the emitter harder.

Listed wavelengths is more marketing and binning. Look up the Cree way of listing 4C, 7A, 5D, etc., vs the Nichia way in MacAdam ellipses.