Help! - New Release Lumintop PD2 vs XTAR PB2S - Portable Powerbank

Need some help, I’m trying to decide between these two portable power banks for some additional backup power for flashlights and everything else. They are very similar with a few differences.

Mainly the XTAR allows supports dual output on both USB ports, whereas the Lumtintop has a dedicated in and out port for charging. Also the Lumintop has low voltage protection the XTAR doesn’t list that feature.

So my question is how important is that low voltage protection? I’m leaning towards the XTAR PB2S but it doesn’t list Low Voltage Protection, where the Lumintop does.

I made a little table.

Product links

Lumintop PD2
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804444443628.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

XTAR PB2S

1 Thank

I’ve the XTAR PB2S. Last time I asked XTAR whether the clones were authorised, they said that they weren’t.

IMO - avoid clones, and those limintop is a clone.

1 Thank

Probably the component inside are the same or similar but the original is XTAR. Buy Xtar

1 Thank

Astrolux and Klarus also have a charger that looks the same as the Lumintop. Slightly different cover with a notch.

1 Thank

Thank you, but do you think the xtar has low voltage protection? If not is that a big deal? How risky?

Typically, you charge your phone until the phone and charger are equal, and then the flow stops. I’m trying to imagine how you would run the batteries down- powering a device instead of charging it, I guess.

I didn’t know there was a battery holder/power bank that handled 21700 as well as 18650 before your post. Wow, there are a lot of clones. If XTAR is the original, I believe that gives the edge to them.

Not really. It is not like you are equalizing gas pressure or something. Output is regulated voltage (5v/9v/12v) which does not depend on battery voltage at all and will charge whatever it is charging right to the point when it shuts down because the battery is empty/battery voltage is too low.

And IIRC for this specific device it is around 3V, which is a bit high meaning battery will not be completely discharged, which is actually good…

Thank you. To help the OP, and tighten up the thread, you are confirming LVP on both of these devices, or just one?

Did anyone know that there IS a new version of the pb2s which IS called PB2SL ??

I see differences in battery lenght (more) and a “moving notch” in the battery cover to help holding 18650 batteries.

But… Any difference in electronics???

I have pb2s, it shows “0%” and shuts down at ~3v/cell. I bought it a few years ago though, so technically it does not guarantee anything as components might have been changed.

I can say absolutely nothing about the clone from lumintop.

All that said - li-ion charger/power bank from any decent company is highly unlikely to have no LVP. It would be unsafe to use, would murder cells very fast and there is no reason to do it since all this is usually integrated into single IC anyway. Always good to verify specific device though, by simply measuring voltage after charge and after discharge, to be sure it does not overcharge or overdischarge cells.

This is the product link from Lumintop: