Help please - My FT03 works fine on USB C - but nothing on a fully charged battery

Hi folks,

I’m at a loss as to why this FT03 of mine just stopped working via battery. If I plug the USB C cable in, it charges and will turn on and function, albeit with reduced output as I assume the current is solely coming from the USB C supply.

I have tried a few charged 26650’s which I also tested on a multimeter, same result.

I have tested the continuity between the tail cap spring and the threads of the tube and there is good continuity.
Browsing this forum has failed to give me any ideas as to what to check now. The switch is working, the LED is working so I am at a loss.

I am hoping there is someone here who has had this exact same problem and found the source of the problem, or someone with far more electronics knowledge who might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time.
Davo

All you can do is check that the retaining ring around the driver is tight. If that’s not the issue it’ll be in need of a replacement driver.

1 Thank

I have just check that and noticed the white nylon washer/bush around the spring is a little loose, I’ll check the tightness of the retaining ring. Thanks.

It’s normal for that white piece to be loose. You could try removing the retaining ring and cleaning the copper contact pad on the driver, also the rear non anodized edge of the battery tube and tail cap.

2 Thanks

Okay, will do. Thanks.

Well what a terrific lesson. Thanks Funtastic.
I cleaned the driver contact, both sides of the retaining ring and the threads, carefully tightened it down snug and when I saw the two flashes as I tightened the tail cap on I was cheering. That is all it was. Bad contact. Electronics 101.

I appreciate your time mate. Many thanks.

6 Thanks

Glad that worked out with no parts needed! Ditto on that white spacer…always a bit loose. I don’t know what the situation is with Banggood and their lights/parts right now, but they had the drivers for sale until just recently. I think I paid $10 and $13 for my spares. You can get them from Mateminco, too, just message them on aliexpress and ask for the MT35 Mini driver…still has NarsilM on it unless they may have recently changed to Anduril.

Still one of my favorite lights…even better with the 26800 cells!