HELP...reflector HD2010

I have it professionally chromium in a company, then it seems to me effeckt to be about the same whether the original HD2010 reflector, and much more durable and more heat resistant too?

Hmm, I wonder how much shipping would be to you? I have one sitting around where I bored it out around the LED so it could fit up in the reflector more for a better hotspot. I switched over to an aspheric so it's just sitting here.

there is one little company about 10 miles (+–10-15 klm) here arround that chrome things like motocycle bikes etc…

http://www.cylex-bedrijvengids.be/reviews/viewcompanywebsite.aspx?firmaName=chromage+central+bvba&companyId=12497896

maybe better than the Original reflector :beer: :crown:

Again, it's not chrome. Chrome is a very tough coating, and you would not be able to remove it so easily. Also, an aluminum coating is about 50% brighter than a chrome coating. That reflective layer in automotive headlights and most mirrors is there from aluminum vapor deposition for the last 60+ years.

As to why there's a copper or brass layer, I'll admit that I don't know for sure. One source mentions that a copper layer can prevent electromigration of the overlying aluminum layer, but I don't see how that would matter unless the reflector was designed to carry a current. Another source says that in early headlights, copper was electroplated over the brass base material that made up the reflector. The copper served to smooth the surface, and then an aluminum layer was electroplated over that. The same process seems to be used with flashlight reflectors, except the reflector is made of aluminum instead of brass.

This set of videos might provide more details, and if not, leaving some comments would probably yield the answers we desire from the uploaders.

Hey JonnyC, If he doesn’t want your bored out reflector I will take it. The hotspot on my new HD2010 is really bad so I was looking for a solution. I am in NY so shipping First Class mail is no big deal to me. By the way, did you see a big improvement in the hotspot?

PM'd

There's no copper or brass layer in the plating, the part that turns gold when you try to clean/polish them is the clear topcoat, whatever that's made of. I've damaged enough and then scraped them down to bare metal - there's a clear layer, then a silver metallic layer underneath.

chrome not so bright of the aluminium finish…50% down

I will then try to polish.

otherwise the atmosferissche lens.

jonnyc to here very expensieve cost to send :-s

If there's a protective coating over the aluminum coating, it's probably SiO or hexamethyldisiloxane. I'm not going to destroy one of my HD2010 reflectors to find out who's right and wrong about a smoothing or protective coating, although I might have another reflector I could sacrifice...

Polishing is all you can do. Good luck.

If you decide to get it plated then get it bright nickel plated, chrome is no good, experience in restoring 1930’s cars and 40’s and 50 motorcycles. The platers that we used did a lot of headlamp reflectors and he reckoned that chrome doesn’t reflect enough light to be of use. He always stopped at the nickel step (copper, nickel,chrome is triple plating, the best but not for reflectors) then polished to a high shine, worked like a charm.

maybe one sst90 reflector with kopple ours work :Sp

well …. a lot of sanding and the result is remarkable!
net platinum
but when the flashlight shines it is just a reflector which is very poorly cleaned, filled with scratches and a yellow sheen.
suggestions how I can do yet? finish better
but the flashlight is usable again.

it shines like a mirror … but if you put it in your flashlight you do still see that matte deep low and very small scratches.
Whatever you even used medi cal cotton (100% cotton) remaining scratches.
the last is the modern cloth where you can join the best yet. PC screen
This combined with soft wet wipes for glasses.

are there any tips?

I haven't tried to polish metal yet. Here is some info from one of the best. I don't know if it's his current method or if he would use it to polish a reflector.

Here is a recent thread from a very talented member that built an aluminum reflector from scratch.

Best of luck. Hopefully, someone that knows more chimes in soon. I find posting pictures usually gets more member participation.

I have polished up a few aluminum reflectors with 1000 grit wet/dry paper, then move on to 000 steel wool,0000 stell wool, then finish with mothers aluminum polish (awesome stuff). Then I seal with some liquid car polish. Been about 6 months and they are looking good still, but a quick re polish doesnt hurt. Ask me why I had to do this in the first place. Other than wanting to smooth an op reflector, I learned the hard way.

I spent quite some time contacting vendors for spare HD2010 reflectors and have not been successful… :frowning:

Buy a new one they’re only 30-50 bucks.

one 2010 if i can’t buy reflectors.
see out for another long range trow

with diy for juwels i see i can make the reflector bether finish…but i have spend today more than 20€ for produkts

for the end finish :for a clear reflector and scrash remove silicone spray or better tefflon spray works great!