Hey all! Flashlight newbie here!

Hey all. I’ve always had a thing for flashlights. But never really got into it very deep. That is, until I saw what new flashlights can do. I bought my stepson an Olight tactical light for his pistol and was impressed.

Now I’m all in on it! Already own several Streamlight, Wurkkos and Hanklights (with 4 more Hanks on the way).

Looking at the future, I’m hoping to get my hands on at least 1 Reaver Citadel (these are just amazing looking to me) and maybe some some Dawson Machine Craft lights. We’ll see. Always looking for recommendations, as well.

4 Thanks

Please enjoy your time here, worrub918!
My favorite budget brands are Convoy, Sofirn, and Wurkkos.
Convoy seems to excel at throwers, and Sofirn seems to excel at floody flashlights and lanterns, though both companies make a wide assortment of lights.

1 Thank

Thanks!

I’ve looked at torches from both of these companies and have a few in mind for the future. Got any recommendations for your favorites from each?

1 Thank

Welcome! My favourite tip to newcomers is to wait to see what the lights you’ve ordered are like, before splurging on more.

Without knowing what kind of lights you’re into, it’s hard to make specific recommendations, however, you might like something from the Reylight lineup.

For value-per-£/€/¥/$ for practical lights, it’s hard to beat Convoy’s range. The naming convention is pretty hard to work out though.

Don’t underestimate the utility of right angle lights, especially with magnet tailcaps!

If you can get one on sale, I’m a big fan of the Sofrin SP10 Pro, others prefer the illuminated switch and USB charging of the SC21.

Generally I stick to single cell lights, as keeping track of “paired cells” is more trouble than it’s worth to me. If you need bright output and long runtime (and don’t want to change cells too often) multi-cell lights are unfortunately compulsory.

1 Thank

Well, my current EDC is the Convoy M21F with the XHP70.3 HI emitter.
I tend to prefer throwier flashlights, though that flashlight isn’t super throwy.
For Sofirn, I like the HS20, which is a headlight, and I like the LT1S, which is a lantern.
It just really depends on what you’re looking for, but those are some my favorite budget lights. :grin:

1 Thank

Welcome! I advice pacing your purchaces. That way you can test your lights properly and see what you like and what you don’t.

1 Thank

Thanks! I’ve heard a lot about Sofirn lights. But, hadn’t really looked into them… yet! I’m already peaking at the SP10 Pro, though. LOL! Thanks for the recommendations!

1 Thank

One of the most common complaints is that the side switch is hard to find by touch. I orient the pocket clip to the opposite side of the light to help.

I find the 14500 format slim enough to be pocket carried comfortably. I’ve a couple of these SP10’s now, modified with 519a LED or UV.

1 Thank