Hey Guys! I'm Brand New to This Forum and I want a Major Thrower!

You are Very Welcome, and enjoy your reading, once you are up to speed you will find it alot easier to make your decisions. FYI: i charge my Batteries inside, but i just don’t leave them unattended while charging, charge them when you are in house watching TV or something, and check the Voltage Level before and after you charge them to make sure that they match. My intention was not to put you off, just to make you aware.
I have over 100 Lithium Batteries now in a Cabinet, mostly in Lights in my Room, if i didn’t think it could be done Safely, they wouldn’t be there, and i have done alot of the Reading. You will find by taking a few Precautions you will be able to enjoy LED’s and Lithiums. It is a Very Enjoyable pastime and i’m sure you’ll be Hooked.
Cheers
PS: Glad your Reading.

You haven’t put me off at all. Regardless of the hobby, there are things to know. New performance levels require new accommodation levels to to meet those levels. So, if I understand correctly, as long as my battery voltage on my matched set of batteries are both within a certain limit, I don’t have to worry as long as they are correctly installed (excluding situations that have yet to become known)? Like, a voltage meter can effectively show my dad what these parameters are and allow him to know whether or not he is within safe parameters?

Hi, if you make sure that the Batteries Charge to the same Voltage Levels (around 4 to 4.2 Volts for 18650) and also check them when they come out of the Torch to insure they are draining at the same rate, that the cells don’t drop below the Safe Recharge Voltage Level (For the Brand you are using), also make sure there is no Damage to the Protective Wrap on the Batteries, that the Batteries aren’t getting too Hot on the Charger and or giving off Pungeant Odours, then that will be a Good Start. If you read the Post for the shortcut i gave you then you will now know that just because your Batteries and Charger were New and a Name Brand, that was not going to keep you safe in any way at all. Lithium is usually only a Issue if it is mishandled or is a Faulty Product. Knowing how to Detect Issues is the Key.
There is still alot more to it than that, so keep reading. If you go to Main Menu (top left hand corner), Click on Forum, you will scroll down and find a section just on Batteries and Chargers. Best place to Start. There is also a lot more knowledgable people on the Forum than i, they will be able to give you more detailed Answers on the Technical side than i can. I am still learning also. Up until January, the only Lithiums i had were in my Laptop, Phone and Camera. I just wish i had read about the Safety Issues before i Purchased so many Torches and Batteries. It wouldn’t have stopped me from getting them all, but i would have been more Proactive in my own Safety (and that of the People i gave them to), and more careful with their Power Source.
Cheers, Enjoy

Dereelight Xsearcher. 100kcd w xm-l U3 pill. 180kcd w xr-e ez900 pill.

When I first got into this quality flashlight game a couple years ago, all the warnings and exploding battery posts had me somewhat concerned and worried. I soon found that it was not a big deal. Just something to keep in mind. Start out right with quality equipment and check things from time to time. Once you find that your batteries and charger work consistantly within a safe voltage charge range and you get used to how your lights drain your batteries, there is really not much to worry about.
I think as long as you use your head, know the basics and your equipment, use quality equipment and don’t get lazy or stupid, there is very little to worry about. Hundreds of millions of LI batteries out there being used and charged every day safely with very very few report of disaster. I know, they do happen. So do lightning strikes and shark attacks. Take basic percautions and you will not have to be concerned.

How about the

Two lights Who shot jr has for sale in the for sale light section

I think he looking for more of a thrower still. Even though I think everyone should have a TR-3T6.

That does look like an excellent deal. Trustfire lights are what got me reading about these lights to begin with. I can’t seem to find really good specs on the larger trustfire though, as far as the type of beam it makes. I’ve pretty much settled on the TK75, since I can’t justify spending the amount of money required for the new rc40. The people on this thread really convinced me that a combination of flood & throw is a good thing and I agree. I also really like how the Fenix lights take forever to step down. I think all of this research warrants a little larger purchase like the TK75, unless that larger trustfire comes close. Otherwise, the TK75 is for sure what I’m getting.

I may also invest in some sort of voltage meter to run the 18650 protected sanyos, the 2600s with the xtar charger. That’s sort of what I’ve settled on.

Sounds like a plan jdecker, and the Trustfires would not be able to compete with the TK75. Sounds like you are on your way. Enjoy.

Thanks! I really appreciate everything that everyone here did for me. I thought I had it figured out at the beginning, but all of this help really made a big difference in my decision.

I still genuinely believe you would be happier with a TK70 for the application you have specified. The TK75 has fairly shallow and wide reflectors. Its going to have a lot more flood than throw. Granted, I do not own one to compare to my TK70, so perhaps I am overestimating the flood vs throw of the TK75, but your original intention was to have a long distance search light. I think the TK70 is much better suited to this role. Additionally, it uses NiMH D cells, which are not only a lot safer than lithium ion, you can also get low self discharge ones like the Tenergy Centura batteries. They are 8,000 mAh each (so 32,000 mAh of battery on tap), but you can also just leave them in the flashlight with no worries, no checking voltages, and you will always have the light ready to use, instead of having to plan for it like you would with a lithium ion light. The TK70 is about the same price as the TK75 as well. I think both options are great. I think the TK75 is probably a better all-around more useful flashlight. But for your specifically mentioned application, I wholeheartedly believe the TK70 is the superior choice.

I agree with everthing you have said here, and for all the Reasons you have given, earlier in the Post. But he seems to have his mind made up on Lithium and the TK75 so, as long as he has picked up what to do with the Lithiums he will still be getting a Good Light. It just won’t throw as far. The TK70 is one Hell of a Light. Won’t be selling mine.
Cheers.

My decision is definitely between the TK75 & the TK70. To me, they seem very close. With this video, for example, the TK75 looks better, with how wide that beam is. However, this seems to be too short of distance to judge throw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeTmQRe4iaQ When I look at Feix’s pictures, they have excellent shots of the TK75, this one http://www.fenixlighting.com/Portals/0/Images/Fenix-TK75-Flashlight-Distance.jpg and this one http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uT1ykTvxl-g/UMF0XTpLA4I/AAAAAAAAJd4/3ypBuIh1p5k/s1600/TK75.jpg. It seems to be hard to find a picture TK70 beamshots that compare the actual throw of the TK70 to the TK75, while showing its true capabilities. This one of the TK 70 shines the beam right at the ground so it doesn’t do us much good. http://www.lightjunction.com/images/Fenix/Fenix-TK70_06.jpg This one seems to be about the best for the TK70. http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x478/thailightshop/Fenix-TK70s_Turbo.jpg. I’d like to see this same shot against the TK75. Either light looks amazing and seems to do what I want. I also watched Patriot’s comparison of the RC40 with the TK75 and others http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnrmuWcwzbM. If he had taken his TK70, that would have been a great comparison. Its too bad he doesn’t like his TK70 because of the size. That video, however, compares the TK70 with the SR90, as does this one by goingprepared from goinggear.com http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzffVli7TMo. They both seem to do very well in comparison. The TK70 is awfully large, and if I’m not mistaken, around twice the weight of the TK75. I suppose that doesn’t matter very much. This shows the difference, which I’m sure you’re all well aware of, given your extensive exprience with the lights. That’s an awfully big light. http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Rickr1/TK70/TK75TK70011.jpg Either way, I’ll be very lucky to have either one of these very nice lights.

I was beating myself up over the same question. TK70 or TK75. I will probably end up buying both eventually but after handling both lights, the TK75 won out easily. Not only does it have more spill, it doesn’t give up that much in throw. At least not where it counts. The outer edges of distance/throw of both lights is so far away, I really can’t usefully see anything anyway. This is where the extra spill of the TK75 comes in handy.

But the biggest reason for my choice is the size and weight difference. TK75 wins hands down here. Add in the fact that I already have plenty of 18650 batteries and chargers and the fact I would have to buy batteries and chargers for the TK70 and my mind is made up. TK75 costs less to boot.

I have found that unless I’m showing off, smaller, easier to carry lights are the ones I reach for and use the most.

Take a look at the Terminator. I think you can pick one up for just over $100. This thing is tiny and it puts out a massive amount of light!

Oh cool you are from Cedar Falls. I am not to far away. Just a little bit east, Dubuque. I have the Tk70 and it is impressive. I prefer the Terminator over it though. For the size it is awesome.

People from Iowa are crazy. ..................................... I live near Spirit Lake/Okoboji.

The TK75 is a very good thrower. It has a perfect mix of flood and throw. I would also add that the UI is my all time favorite. I just wish they came with XM-L2 emitters.

That is the reason I never picked one up. I missed out on the first run. Was thinking they would come out with XM-L2. Figured I would wait for the upgrade.

I’m originally from Dubuque county, over by Sherrill/Balltown area! I’ve gone “East” with my friends many times!