Hi everybody, new into flashlights

Just ordered and received my first flashlight from Wurkkos: TS22 with XHP70.3 HI 90CRI 5000K emitter.
I’m really impressed with the performance form such a compact light.

Also got my eye on the Convoy Z1, but am not quite sure on what emitter to get with it.
Really like the round beam of the W5050sq3 emitter but everybody seems to praise the SFT40 emitter for it.
Apart from beam shape what would the difference be between these two options?

2 Thanks

I hope you have fun here, rabarbermoes!
My two favorite emitters are the XHP70.3 HI and the SFT40.
I like the 70.3 HI for overall output, and it has a bit of throw.
I like the SFT40 because it’s the most practical throwy emitter.
It outputs a lot of lumens for a throwy emitter, and it provides some usable spill as well.

1 Thank

Hello @rabarbermoes. It’s always a pleasure to meet a new fellow Dutchman on this forum. Enjoy yourself while you can. That is as long as your better half does not know where all that money is spent on. And always remember our battle cry. Do I really need another light: NO, but do I want it: YES.

1 Thank

Welcome

Hi, welcome to the flashlight community. The emmitters you suggested for Z1 are both two good options. If you like the round beam of w5050, by all means go for it. Its also available in more tint options than sft 40. However sft 40 Id imagine is brighter. Another good option you may wat to look at is the osram cslnm1.tg emmitter. Extremely long throw and good brightness.

1 Thank

Welcome!!

Welcome to BLF rabarbermoes!

Here’s a great review on the W5050SQ3 (which also includes SFT-40 info) that may help with your decision: LED test / review - LMP W5050SQ3 (3000 K, 70 CRI) - warm white round-die LED with high luminance

Welcome!

Thank you for the review. Would you imagine the 6500k version would have the same performance?

Welcome!

That’s a good question. Looks like they may be addressing that with their review, but you could also ask about it too.

Typically 6500K will be more efficient than warmer temps.

Strictly speaking 6500K is warmer than 5000K, the terminology is commonly backwards.

2 Thanks

Yep, and it was explained to me in this way…
People think red is warm and blue is cool, so 2700K is “warm” and 6500K is “cool” even though that’s technically backwards.

2 Thanks

It’s the same with glowing hot metal. The hotter it gets the color shifts from red to yellow to white