Hi - expanding my foundation

I have not tested it, but I would not expect that many cycles on a cheap battery.

Brand names are usual rated for 300 to 500 cycles. This requires that you keep the charge and discharge current below maximum values and never discharge the battery to much. It is also prohibited to over charge the battery, both with to high voltage, but also just letting it stay in a cheap charger (With good chargers there is no problem).

Note: The general recommendation is to always remove the battery from the charger when it is full, due to safety.

These are unprotected batteries, they are fine for many single battery lights, but never use them in series in multi battery light.

Here is a link to how a protected battery is constructed (This link is at the bottom of all my LiIon reviews): http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/battery%20protection%20UK.html

Welcome, I’m new here myself but I’ve learned a lot by reading. When you’ve narrowed down your next flashlight purchase search for reviews on each on by selfbuilt. He will give you plenty of information to help you make a final choice.

Also if you’re not aware most manufacturer lumen claims are overstated. You can get a more accurate measurement from selfbuilt’s reviews. I also use HKJ’s battery reviews to guide me on those purchases. Good stuff.

Have fun.

Welcome to BLF!
You will get significantly (read: at least 2x for 18650’s) more runtime with a quality name brand battery, to say nothing of safety concerns. Here is a well respected inexpensive battery with 2600 mAh for $6 apiece:
http://www.dx.com/p/genuine-sanyo-18650-2600mah-rechargeable-battery-with-protection-board-red-pair-121447?utm_rid=81787167
If you are willing to pay a little bit more, I highly recommend either of these batteries:
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=259
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=50
Hope you enjoy your stay!

Welcome, Deputy Dave. This site is a great resource and more importantly, a great community.

HIDE YOU WALLET

You’re Welcome!

:bigsmile:

If you like Glocks, then you are good with me. I have a few high speed projectile dispensing devices my self.

Look into the Nitecore Intellecharger I4 or I2. Good product.

enjoy your stay and NEVER log on to this forum again!! If you know whats good for your retirement savings. :bigsmile:

Thank you again for the welcomes. I’m really liking the looks of that $6 battery in your first link. It would work well in one of those Sipik SK98 clones? Assuming it is a clone, says ‘Ultrafire’.

If you're a DIY type, this is probably the lowest cost way to make a good Li-ion charger. Here is a good charger currently on special.

Thanks for signing up, Deputydave!

Those batteries should work fine in a sk98 (yes, it’s a clone), or any 18650 light for that matter. Be aware that since they are coming from China, they may take upwards of a month to arrive. :_(

Taking into account the suggestions so far, looks like I’m going to order one of these:

NiteCore IntelliCharger i2 Charger

And a couple of these:

Genuine SANYO 18650 2600mAh Rechargeable Battery with Protection Board - Red (Pair)

And thanks to all for bursting my bubble concerning my wishful thinking that the cheap Ebay batteries and chargers were of good quality.
:smiley:

Figure that will be a good start. Have some good batteries for primary use and save the cheaper ones for ‘just in case’ back ups. At least until I can get more of a stockpile of quality batteries to use.

Figured it was one of the clones. And you’re right about the speed delivery! Occasionally I’ll get something in a fairly timely fashion, but usually it is a good few weeks or more. Most of the stuff I don’t mind as it is a back up to stuff I already have. For example, I ordered a couple of excellent ferro rods (the ones in the orange case w/striker and lanyard for around $8 each). That was half what I paid previously so I don’t mind the wait as they are back up ferro rods.

I’ll use the cheap batteries I have until the other ones arrive then swap out. Be nice to have a quality charger as well. I have a supply of rechargeable AA and AAA as well.

Glocks are at the top of my list. Carry a G21 .45ACP on duty (230gr GD) and a G19 off duty (124+P GD). Been using and teaching them since the 90’s. Great firearm!

Soon your foundation will be made of aluminum, copper, brass, leds and lithium ions. Wait until the modding bug kicks in.

Welcome deputydave

Wanted to revisit my intro to say thank you again. I’m really enjoying my time/participation here. Learning a LOT of new things, which is always a welcome thing.

:slight_smile:

I wanted to update my intro thread. I received two 18650’s after ordering them in the above link. Although more expensive than the cheap Ebay batteries I had been purchasing, they impressed me right out of the package. They came in their own plastic carry case rather than the Ebay batteries that come loose in bubble wrap. May sound silly, but they just ‘look’ and ‘feel’ more substantial. Topped off the charge without issue and now they’re in my back-up on-duty light as well as the light on my nightstand.

So far there a big thumbs up and I think I’ll need to invest in some more as well as some 14500’s.

Thank you again for the link and advise :slight_smile:

The Sanyo UR14500P is a good quality cell. Not as high max current as an Efest IMR 14500 but higher capacity at lower current. I think both Mtnelectronics and Illumn carry them under another repackage name like keepower.

Would this be a good price/company to deal with?

Authentic Sanyo UR14500P 14500 840mAh Li-ion Battery

FastTech is a good company that I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from. Illumn and Mtnelectronics are both US sellers with top notch reputations for integrity and service and will get you the goods in less than half the time. I generally prefer to support local where I can. I buy from FT things that MtnE and Ilmn don’t carry.

Okay, as an update. This was my post in April. It’s now August. I’ve learned more about chargers (and bought the Nitecore I2 and have been very impressed with it). I have learned more about 14500’s and 18650’s (and what to buy and what not to buy and have had good results with the Sanyo’s recommended in this thread). I’ve learned a bit more about the actual LED’s themselves. And now I learned about the 26650’s and bought a TF A8 and a couple of TF batteries (also recommended on BLF) and just got it yesterday and well….now my wife wants it!

So really appreciate everyone that has been expanding my foundation in this area. Someone could have warned me about showing my wife the new flashlight though :bigsmile:

I’m afraid to ask, ‘what’s next’? :wink: