Highest drain (discharge rate) from high quality protected cells ~ 3400 mah

Hi, what would be the best batteries which sustain voltage very good but, have protection?

Panas green 3400 mah vs Keepower 3400 mah protected?

Worth to pay more for Keepower? how is the pcb protection quality, cell is the same i think? any other option, please advice only over 3100 mah (3400 preferred)

Thanks.

All anecdotal evidence aside, nobody can say for sure. The closest thing we have to a reliable objective measure of performance is the sort of controlled testing that HKJ does: Battery test-review 18650 comparator

But even those results are going to be somewhat marred by things like sample variation and manufacturers changing protection circuits without telling anybody. I mean no-one ever bothers to specify what protection circuits they are using in the first place which I find really bizarre, especially when they bother to refer you to a Panasonic NCR18650B data sheet as a measure of the performance characteristics of the cells they are selling. That’s somewhat ridiculous if you ask me.

Anyway, I think the best you can do is try to find a seller who is uncompromising when it comes to the specifications of the cells they are selling. As you probably know by now Keeppower, in addition to making decent protected cells themselves, are also in the business of assembling and rebranding cells for other sellers. And apparently they’ll use whatever protection circuit the seller specifies. That’s why I buy my cells from this seller: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-BLAZAR-PROTECTED-Panasonic-NCR-18650-B-3400mAh-Lithium-Li-ion-Battery-NIPPLE-/281004345565?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item416d2a08dd

But if you’re not local and/or you consider those to be too expensive, then you’re just going to have to start emailing people for specs and hope you get the correct information.

Check out HKJ’s 18650 Comparator and individual tests.

The Panasonic 3400 and the Keeppower are the same cell inside. Only Panasonic makes a true 3400mAh cell as far as i know. Keeppower just adds a protection circuit and new label. I think they use good quality protection circuits like seiko.

Thanks alot guys!

Afrer looking from some test, i think the best batteries for modded lights are this…

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

They destroy mine 18650B :open_mouth:

Where i can find this PD panas best price and availability? are all PD version the same? or only Orbotronic is offering such performance i know they use Pana cell?

You might find this helpful too Battery Comparison Charts
The panasonic PF is the newer version of the PD.

Hi, thanks! the graphs are a bit confusing to me can you give me a link to PF review or reliable site with good price and worldwide shipping on the PF cells?

What is the difference PD vs PF? which is better and hold voltage better? thanks.

BTW Thanks for your great contribution! if you know some even better battery then PF/PD around 2900 mah please recommend, thanks.

There’s also the new Panasonic ncr18650bd which are 3200mah and 10amp max. No official test by hjk yet but they look like a higher capacity pf. I have 4 en route to me now from fasttech

Not sure the PF was a replacement more an alternative with different chemistry. for my uses no real differences that I have noticed.

IIRC you use protected cells, PD/PFs with protection circuits are a bit like hens teeth.

Unlike some views, I am afraid protection circuits and high/ultrahigh discharge cells IMV don’t mix.

Sorry but i’m not good with reading graphs. Does this perform better then PD/PF based on that graph from the link, and HKJ graphs?

@xmint, i don’t understand what you mean by this. “IIRC you use protected cells, PD/PFs with protection circuits are a bit like hens teeth.

Unlike some views, I am afraid protection circuits and high/ultrahigh discharge cells IMV don’t mix”

These might be your best bet for protected PF cells if you shop around.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Orbtronic%2018650%202900mAh%20(Black)%20UK.html

I recently bought some PF’s from Fasttech, unprotected though.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10001980/1455000

The PF looks to maintain slightly higher voltage than the PD

The Enerpower uses PD, the Orbtronic PF

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/EnerPower+%2018650%202900mAh%203C%20(Blue)%20UK.html

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Orbtronic%2018650%202900mAh%20(Black)%20UK.html

Or, as stated, the Panasonic NCR 18650 BD looks interesting too. decisions decisions… :slight_smile:

Thanks! where can i find this Orbotronic or any other true PF cell? Panasonic ncr18650*bd* should be even better?

Edit, now i saw Fasttech link thanks, what about the Keepower one>? any links to buy them?

No, they really don’t. For the comparison to be fair, you should be comparing bare cells of each type:

They are better (assuming you’re happy with decreased runtimes), but there’s no destroying going on. And the Sanyo cells still perform better toward the end of the discharge, which is right about the point where a linear driver will drop out of regulated mode because of the voltage drop. And since at the beginning any excess voltage is just burned off as heat anyway, the Sanyo cells will generally still be better for maintaining maximum brightness for the longest possible time.

Also note that if you rarely discharge your cells very much, then everything is about equal all round.

EDIT: By the way, those Orbtronic cells that HKJ has tested, and that are shown in the graphs here, are indeed PF cells. See the full review for details: Test of Orbtronic 18650PD 2900mAh (Black)

The panasonic PF would be your best bet. The only difference to the now discontinued PD version is slightly higher capacity (something like 20mah) and a ‘safer’ chemistry. Not sure how much safer though.

Also the Orbtronic PD is actually a panasonic NCR18650PF battery, not the PD version. Orbtronics has simply re-wrapped it and added a protection circuit. If you desired a protected NCR18650PF that would be your best option.

This List of suppliers might help

@ Cain, mine are protected and have quite a bit more voltage sag….

@will manners Thanks for your information!

@Crx, thanks i will take a look!

@Crx, the ones you say are protected, are you sure they are? HKJ say they are not :frowning:

Oops sorry, my heads all over the place today! Should have been the Orbtronics i think Test of Orbtronic 18650 2900mAh (Black)

Thanks, sadly that cell doesn’t offer any worthy advantage over 18650B :frowning:

Edit, any advantage for Orbotronic PF instead of Panasonic PF? i know its same cell but still…

Thanks again.

What application are the batteries for?