Home Depot Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting with this.

I tested the switch with a pedestal fan (didn’t have any random ceiling fan motor to test it on). It didn’t work. On medium and low, the motor only hummed. Maybe because it consumed too much current?

I tested incandescent light bulbs on this switch and I discovered something very interesting! This switch works great as a dimmer switch!!!
I found that the more current the light bulb consumes, the dimmer it would be when put at medium or low. With a 60w light bulb, it is very dim and makes a nice night light on low; on medium, it makes a decent amount of light but not too much. Makes a great accent light! And on high, of course, it runs at full brightness.
But with a 15w light bulb, the three modes barely made any difference.

Do you know how these switches work? They use metal-film capacitors to shunt the current. On high, the device (fan or light) is connected directly. On medium, the device is connected in series with a 2.2µF capacitor or something like that. And on low, the device is connected with a 4.4µF capacitor or something like that. I’m not 100% sure how they work, but I know that they work by letting part of the wave through or something like that. They work like resistors but they are a lot more efficient because they don’t waste the extra power as heat!
Compare this to an incandescent lamp dimmer. They work using a Triac chip that “chops up” the sine wave. Depending on the setting of the dimmer, it turns on at a certain part of the wave (say at the peak) and stays on until the wave goes to 0. This is 50% output.

I also tested this with CFLs. Because it works differently than a triac dimmer and has a cleaner wave, it does not cause CFLs to go crazy. A chopped up wave screws with the electronics of a CFL and makes it go bonkers. But with this fan control, the CFL just functions as if it were on a lower voltage (probably because it is). The CFLs I tested had varying results. Some worked on low, with a slow start. Some just glowed a little but could not start (but if I set to medium then set back to low without switching off, it would work). Some flickered a little. One CFL, a Phillips Marathon, strobed on and off frequently on low. Probably because of the special ignition circuitry inside, so when it launches, it doesn’t have enough power to sustain it, so the arc fails and it tries again.
Most CFLs worked fine on medium. They just were slightly dimmer.

Another benefit of using a fan control as a dimmer switch is that you don’t get any noise in the filament. With a dimmer switch, you get a buzzing noise or something like that from the filament when it is dimmed. But with this, the filament is silent. It also doesn’t cause the lamp to flicker!
Is it more efficient than a triac? I don’t know, but I think it might be!
I don’t see why they don’t use these for dimming lamps! They are really simple and cheap (well, they are supposed to be but the companies like to make profits so they make people think they are really complicated and expensive).

I got pictures of the incandescents in each setting. But for the CFLs I took videos so I cannot post those here.

And in the dark:

They each run on 2-AA’s I have never seen those.

Last week while I was traveling, I came across this in an HD in New York. I have never seen these before and they must have been in that store for awhile because they were reduced. It’s a clamp worklight that is rechargeable. I bought one, but returned it to a local store when I got back home. I decided I already had enough worklights.

And yesterday at my local store, they are bringing the Christmas promotional stuff out :slight_smile:

Oh the black friday thing where they have appliances wrapped in black trash bags and have printed papers saying “Do not open until Black Friday” or something like that.

At a penny a switch, you can afford to experiment. “LOCS” (Lots Of Cheap Switches) :slight_smile:

Careful though, now you’re not dealing with flashlight voltages!
Also, just because it will dim a CFL, it doesn’t mean you should. You got me interested, now I will have to tear down one of mine.
Here is a repeat of a teardown of some USB plus power outlets I got for a penny each last year.

Price ends with a “6”, now to check the date. Is it more that 6 months plus 6 weeks old?

3/18/14, that is old enough! This could ring up for a penny.
And it did, got 4 of them. Actually 5, the last one was stuck in the cardboard sleeve and I made another trip into the store to get it.

Here is the tear down of that unit.

Copper heatsinks.

Oh yeah, should’ve mentioned that. It doesn’t really dim CFLs, it just makes them weaker.
Works great for incandescents though.

Hey, I wonder if this would work on non-dimmable and dimmable LED lamps. I need to try that some time.

I wonder if this would work on a bathroom fan, which uses a shaded pole motor. I think it would. That would be nice.

I stopped in a local Home Depot today and they had about 20 new displays with flashlights for the Holiday shopping season. Many displays had more than 1 type of light. All the lights I checked and could recognize the emitters had CREE. A chain like HD is not going to stand for no Lattice Bright!
Here they are, just pics. Not much to say.
Actually there would be too much to say, this is a lot of lights.

EDIT:

Click here for my bucket of the missing photos

I had found some of these already for a penny months ago. Here they are again!

These are selling fast. 500 Lumen Duracell 3C with batteries. XM-L2

Triple XM-L2, 1000 Lumen

Single emitter XM-L2 650 Lumen

All of these lights are in addition to their regularly stocked lights

And various other lights and worklights.

Whew!

I was in Durham a few weeks ago and strolled a few HD’s and could find any dchomak deals. :_(

It looks like the high quality, robust Defiant flashlights of yesteryear are now a thing of the past. They still pop up on ebay from time to time, where I recently scored 5 DST’s for future mod hosts.

Those little Gyro egg lights are kinda neat. I don’t know how, but I ended up with a pair of them. Like a fun, tiny little lantern. If they drop to like $1 a pack they might be worth picking up.

Found this in a Home Depot. There was a box and above it was written the info and the price: $1.68 or something like that (I cant remember for sure). At checkout it appeared as $1.20! Cheaper than the cheapest which is $2.48, for the Phillips at Home Depot and the Utilitech at Lowe’s. These used to be about $5. One desirable thing about these is that these are rated for indoor/outdoor use in enclosed fixtures. Many people look for lamps like these. These are dimmable too. Since they are dimmable, I wonder what the flicker is like. I also wonder how this will dim with a fan controller. I will test that. Maybe it would barely dim at all because of the low current?

Online, the TCP lamps are not discounted.

But I found new deals!!! :bigsmile:

Two pack of Red or Green LED lamp for $2.99! ~$1.50 per lamp!!! :bigsmile:

————————————

————————————

My local home depot also has the holiday displays out interesting stuff, I ended up picking two of the collapsing lanterns. Runs on 3xAA, with a hanging hook and acts as a flashlight when closed. All in all really not bad for $4.88! Quite impressed.

I saw all your photos last night dchomak before calling it a night. Guess they are getting lots of hits. Wow, lots of lights this season. Thank you for taking those pictures and sharing. Hopefully, they come back up soon for others to see.

Photobucket stinks. My allocated bandwidth doesn’t reset to the 18th. I will try reposting the pics another way.

EDIT:

Click here for my bucket of the missing photos

Why do you even use Photobucket?!

Does that by any chance look anything like this?

From the HomeDepot website:

Hmm . . . Thought I had big news and now see its been discussed already. However I'd swear I saw some of these lights using non-Cree emitters (not "fakes" because I didn't see "Cree" on the packaging). Really tough to get pics of the emitters thru the cloudy reflective plastic packaging, but I know they weren't XM-L2s. Kinda looked like XB-D's I think. I was enthused about the twin pack of Duracell lights which are definitely using XM-L2s.

Photobucket screwed me over too. My free account is limited to 10Gb bandwidth but it said I used 24Gb! (Why didn't it stop at 10? Or did it not reset at the beginning of the cycle?) I went ahead and bit the bullet and upgraded my account to unlimited bandwidth. I've got too many photos linked out there to mess around with moving them!

-Garry

Really disapoited that you didn’t post these first!Your really starting to slip, buddy!LOL. How can I continue blaming you about purchases at HD if you don’t post them first? I expect better from you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, good to see you here. I hope things are going well for you! :beer: