[Honest Review] ASTROLUX WP3 LEP laser flashlight - 2,180,000cd - Type-C - Barnsley

My review of the ASTROLUX WP3 LEP laser flashlight, I test it in the white van capital of the World, Barnsley. It kicks the WP2 and W4’s ass but it can it match the Maxtoch LA10?

2 Thanks

Maxtoch are really in a league of their own. LA10 zooms and still out throws the other lights! The WP3 is more of my kind of light though. Almost as good performance but accepts all the common high capacity cell sizes, has USB charging and a glass infront of the lens. Not to mention, a lot cheaper! Only thing I dislike in the hold to turn off…like seriously, why…just why…The mode spacing also doesn’t make much sense but I couldn’t care less about that.

I agree on all points. I think a clip on diffuser should ship with all lep lights too. They are very cheap and make the torch more versatile.

1 Thank

So, just watched your video and realised this thing has double click for turbo. I’m an idiot! I just thought it was low-hi, with double click to high. It’s really hard to tell the difference against a wall between high and turbo because it’s so intense. I’ve just re-done my measurements and I’m getting 2.38Mcd at 6M!! My 1.7Mcd at 6M from before was just on high, and it does 620Kcd on low if anyone is interested.

I though it was just low high too. For some reason I only measure 100,000cd on high (Med) from 6m or 30m. Not sure if it’s the very blue hotspot or the shifting donut hole

Just did some amp readings. Low - 1.1A, High - 2.9A, Turbo - 3.6A. Take those with a pinch of salt, ’cause I need some thicker gauge wire. But it does show there’s a bump between high and turbo.

In your video, were all the shots done with it on high, or double clicked to turbo?

It’s odd about your meter! Do you just have the one? If you were closer I’d lend you mine.

All on turbo

I have 2 so managed to get lumen readings.

Are you guys talking about the LA60? I'm searching for an LA10 but can't find anything, or did I miss something?

Also, did you check PWM on low and medium/high? It's fun to play with ;)

I think that’s the one. He probably mixed up the Nextorch L10 with the Maxtoch LA60 and created a non existent light, the LA10 :smiley: . I was thinking it was wrong.

Dunno how I ended up with the LA10 as I just copy and paste as to avoid that type of error lol

I didn’t detect PWM

I searched around and could not find these answers.

Does this light have a step down?
If so when?

And can you turn it off and back on again to reactivate turbo? Thanks

I have this flashlight for about three weeks. Didn’t even discharged the battery fully, until today.
The flashlight died right after turning on. I have charged the battery (externally), the flashlight turns on but is stuck on LOW.
Regardless on how I click the switch, stays on LOW. One time, two times, no change in power. Before, it worked normally (normal, low, turbo).
If I click it three times, it starts flashing BUT ALSO ON LOW. It turns off normally (the stupid long press, or one short press if in flashing mode).

I suppose it is not really broken, but maybe the controller got stuck somehow. Is there a way to reset it, or do I have to return it? Having an USB-C port, I suppose there is software that can upgrade the firmware or at least reset it.
Did this happen to you? Any advice? Thanks!

Mine still works fine, did you sort it?

1 Thank

Unfortunately, I didn’t.
Still negotiating with the Banggood support team. They offer me progressively more money to settle this instead of sending it back for a full refund. I have ordered another one already, I could keep this one for spare parts but I want at least 75% of the amount I paid (that’s $150 out of $200).
They are polite but man they are SLOW. It’s been more than a month since I initiated the ticket.

I asked first for a reset procedure first, they said they contacted the manufacturer but no joy. I suppose the USB connector is for charging only. I hoped for a reset software, because I suspect it is just a microcontroller (permanent) hiccup.

After 5 (five!) weeks of negotiating, they agreed to refund 75% of its price ($150 of the $200 I spent on it), without sending back the flashlight.
Let’s see how soon I’ll see the money back in my account. I’ll post here as soon as I get them.

1 Thank

I got my $150 back. And set of spare parts for the new WP3 which is on its way!
Is anyone interested to see the innards of it?

Inside the Astrolux WP3.
Only two wires to the laser!
That means the thermal throttling is done via a sensor on the main PCB.
The Sonix microcontroller is visible.

1 Thank

I’m don’t buy many flashlights now, some brands have a very high failure/glitch rate.