Host for MC-E RGBW, 1*18650 ?

Quark made rgbw for awhile, wish I’d gotten one :slight_smile:
How much would a dropin or this mod on an existing light be ?

I have always wanted to use that emitter so I hope you post your work when you do it. As far as host recommendations, I don’t have any lights that use a 20mm star so I can’t really help there.
EDIT: how about this Loading...

Are you going to program it so that more than one color comes on at a time? That would be cool but would probably require that the output be diffused.

P60 would be nice, but 20mm stars don’t fit… and the MCE is quite big and I need to connect 5 wires, so I need some space.
Maybe the pill of a T2 or a similar compact light can be trimmed to be flat, I have no lathe though.

Langcjl: That one is quite big… I’d like to have it smaller.

gcbryan: Sure :slight_smile: I’m thinking of ramping through the rainbow, probably in 90 hue steps.

Yes, must be diffused, that’s why I thought of a heavy OP reflector.

Does anyone know of a frosted wide TIR suitable for MC-E?

Very interesting project, I will keep an eye here.

Sorry I don’t think of any nice host for it but c8 style, but I see it is too big for you.

The closer to this idea I remember now is the sunway m40c as far as I know, but the red and blue leds look like don’t give that much.

Why not just diffuse the front lens. That’s what was done with the 10 color flashlight that I have which uses RGB (not MC-E however).

It seems LEDIL has a lens well suited for that job, RGBX-MC-M, diameter 30.4mm (22.8 at LED end), 28.8m height. Any idea what host this might fit into?

The Carclo wide frosted doesn’t seen to mix the colors well.

I imagine this probably takes a 16mm pcb but it sure is sweet isn’t it?
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1308

Where did you find info about that? There are several carclo and ledil optics that also fight P60 hosts.

It needs to be pretty “milky” in appearance to work judging by the light I have.

NightCrawl: there are some pictures on the carclo site with beamshots; the 25mm frosted wide for MC-E shows RGBW shots, too. With the the 20mm it’s probably similar.

gcbryan: the problem with ‘milky’ is that it’s probably quite lossy, too. I’d like to find something with a good efficiency.

Langcjl: A bit too expensive. But looks interesting indeed :slight_smile: somewhat steampunky.

Horst just posted about this in the "What you got today" thread. Looks nice:

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1674

He said its meant for 20mm.

Just got confirmation, it takes a 20mm star. It’s a few mm too short for the LEDIL optics though… (thanks for the measurements, Langcjl)

Hm, I think I’ll try anyway.

DrJones, any new ideas for this project? I’m interested in driver availability for RGBW on a P60 pill. There are some brief write-ups at this blog .

So few XM-L RGBW projects… would love to see more of what it could do!

Nice builds... :)
PIC asm, not my language unfortunately :)

Well, the hardware is assembled and works fine, the current firmware is actually intended for a quad white light, so it's modes are not that well suited for RGBW. I just need to find some time to do this... other projects somehow have gotten ahead of this one...

Heh I didn’t even look at the code >< ASM! That could spell trouble… or opportunity, or both…
Wow so your driver is practically a complete custom? Incredible…

I will continue to look forward to people’s builds.

One more link, this one a 25mm board
(I’m sure you know of it though :wink:

http://www.spectrofox.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=55

Looks like VinhNyugen has made a P60 dropin with the rgbw MCE, this is exciting :smiley:
vinhnguyen54 WRGB Color P60 are so fun!! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!!

the intl outdoor 17mm driver is so close, yet so far, as far as mixing goes :confused:
group b will allow a 2 colour mix and a white+1 color mix, unless you forego the white die altogether
not really extending the spectrum by much now…

Aside from some photography fun I don’t need to mix the colours. If I did need to I’d buy two :wink:

Here’s Vinh’s YouTube video

I'd love the possibility of colour mxing, and best if it uses ramping different dies up and down to go through the colours. The UI of this 17mm driver is very very primitive, not well thought out, with this driver and just different software it may have much nicer possibilities I think (sounds like a Dr. Jones project??).