Hot Rodding Maglite 2 & 3 cells

I’ve gotten interested in modifying these to get a better-than-production light. Given the availability of well made & high lumen fl in the current Maglite models, does it still make sense to d-i-y or drop in anything? What is the latest/greatest lumen modding of these size(s) Maglites? Thanks for any responses,
Jack

Kyfishguy does some neat stuff with maglites. You may get some ideas by reading through some of his threads.

As for whether or not its worth it, I think it absolutely is. I’ve got one of the newest, supposedly greatest, Maglites. Its a ML300LX, and its not very good. Its really underpowered for its size and the beam is full of artifacts.

Most common mods are MTG-2/XHP with custom heatsink in the battery tube, or quad XML/XPL with 4x 20mm reflector or optic, this one needs a shelf type of heatsink, google “H22A heatsinks” and “download multi-sink II”. The modding possibilities for maglite are huge because of the available space.

Here’s mine… a 2D maglite modded with 4x XM-L2 and carclo optics and a FET driver. 4,000+ lumens! My first Maglite mod!! 4x XM-L2 & Zener modded BLFDD . *DONE!*

Here is a great site from one of our Forum members:

http://asflashlights.com/en/

I have a costom heat sink and I am missing a reflector and a switch. Do you have anything in mind?

As far as DIY options go there are plenty of triple/quad optics and reflectors available and the shorter depth allows for plenty of additional heat sinking. You might try skimming OL’s BLF modding links thread for ideas.

These are good if you just want a straight swap from the standard led\bulb.

seems like a fair deal - 220 lumens for $13 and change. Plus shipping too I suppose.

I have done MTG2 on a three cell 26700 using HX-1175b1. Have several Maglite builds latest below.

The simplest and cheapest way I’ve seen

Might be cheap but battery life on alkaline batteries that likely being used will be short. Lumen claim is most definitely “Chinese lumens” which can be anywhere from double to a hundred less brighter than real lumens. Any mass lumen increase requires change in battery chemistry for any kind of runtime.

I have it in a Mag 6C.A CUXM2 one mode at 3,04A Run with 4 AA NiMh eneloop pro. The only main problem is the heat dissipation. The gap in the head of the flashlight must be fill with alu or copper foil.

In Maglites is easy to use Li-ion batteries. 18650 e.g. using homemade adapters and dummy batteries

I use 26650s and plastic pipe. Your setup with 4AA NiMH give you enough voltage drop to get away with that setup. Tenergy 10,000mah NiMH D cells and your qlite 7135 driver would over heat reguardless of heat sinking short of liquid nitrogen.

My flashlight is a 6C.Not D,and, so far, it has not been burned :wink: ,but I do not pretend to be an expert. Just experiment in practice

I have some SureFires with led drop ins XML at 3A 1x18650.The P60 rolled copper tape. I have operated for one hour on many occasions. None have been burned.

I like you and you will fit well here at BLF. Welcome!

Thanks a lot willie!. I like you to,
and I like BLF :slight_smile:

Hi
I have 4d mag that i will cut so it fits 2x 18650 which will be in 2p configuration and thats what i ordered for it so far

Reflector http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S024150

It says it has copper pill but i think it will be brass
I will make copper disc that will fit tight in battery tube and drill it in the middle so pill sits tight in it , i will solder it together with pill
1 or 2 copper stars(depends on clearance ) will go inside the pill (driver side ) under the led and also solder together with pill

Driver for it http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S023811

star 2 for modes looks good on this driver
I will add 2-3 380s to the driver , 3 if heat sink comes ok lol

Glass lens http://www.dx.com/p/52mm-x-1-8mm-glass-lens-5948#.VrljZ-bjKmI

Led in it will be xm-l2 u4 1c or 1a , i like cold tints

Still deciding if i will keep the original switch or just put one in the tail but that depends if the reflector with pill have clearance
Will find out soon i hope
If it wasnt for CNY i would have parts home already

Hope it helps you a little with what you want to do

I have a couple of old maglights myself that i’ve been thinking about tearing apart. The one thing thats been holding me back is the custom heat sink.