How do I take apart a Sky Ray Kung flashlight?

First rule of modding:

ANYTHING can be saved. :wink:

Just make sure you don’t point the heaD gun at your foot!

Unless it’s a heaT gun! :smiley:

Sorry, ImA4Wheelr, JK… It was an excellent typo, though…

Seriously, if you want to trash this SRK, call me “Trash Can”!! I’ll even prepay all postage!

LOL. I needed that laugh. Thank you Dim.

Wow, lot of help & humor here!

Didn’t have a wire so I used compressed air and it popped right out.

Looks like Q1 is burnt, whatever that is?

Would like to try an save it if I can get the part, Wife has me on a “Flashlight Hold” right now lol

Very clever on the compressed air. I love that idea.

You got a picture of the driver? Not sure which one you have.

How do the springs look in the tail? I put a cell in backwards once and it fried the spring.

You can always check to see if it’s the driver by simply taking a couple of wires and a single 18650 and touching them to the positive and negative on the driver. that will tell you if you somehow damaged a spring or un-soldered it.

I’m a newbie at this whole thing, so go easy on me lol

It has a number QY - 1367 on the round thingy I blew out with air.

Edit: the batteries are fine & the springs in the tail cap still look like they’re plated with gold

Do you own a camera? The 4-LED Kung drivers haven't been tinkered with nearly as much as the other drivers used in the 3-LED lights.

Hmmm… Comfy, trying to figure out how to insert photo from pc>

QY – 1367? I haven't heard of that driver yet.

Hereis a guide to posting pictures on BLF.

There is a Q1 pad on these Kung drivers. Does your driver look either of these?

Thanks for the guide ImA4wheelr

The part that zapped is at 3 o’clock

Ah, I think that is just a zero ohm resister. You can probably replace it with a solder blob. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Looks like your 2nd photo and it has 4 little tabs coming out of it

I thought I've seen that somewhere. Here it is:

Here is the thread that picture is from. You probably could help the OP of that thread. He is looking for some info on that driver.

I don’t know, but I think I spy, with my little eye, a very smoky look in the 10-12 o’clock area. Especially under that toroid, right at 11:58 or so, beside the red power lead…

You may be shopping for a new driver…

But by fixing this one, you will be better off in the long run. Just sayin…

Whoa Dimbo, you were able to see that all the way across the internet, I had to put my lighted hobby glasses on to see it.

Yup, looks like something important oozed out there, scraped it off with a fingernail.

What to do next?

Looks like dried flux to me.

Solder a wire across the zapped resistor and see what happens. The original was a zero ohm jumper anyway, it won't hurt anything.

ebay seller bicycle-light has offered to replace the flashlight even though I told him it was my fault.

I’ve bought all my lights from him including a retina burner headlamp, great service.

Any idea what it costs to send the old one back to China, never done that.

Edit: It’s on it’s way back to China for $16.50

Thank you for all your help guys!