How do LEDs change color ?

I have a solar led yard light that cycles through colors automatically and would like to stop it in red or green . Anyone know how to accomplish this ? I have taken it apart and see it has a small circuit board but don’t know how to identify any of the components.

You probably can’t because these inexpensive lights have a small controller chip built into the circuit board that can’t be modified. Look for the small shiny black dimple. That’s the controller. You could always switch over to low voltage lighting and use some green or red LED strips to power the lights. I’ve taken apart a bunch of small solar Halloween and Christmas driveway marker lights that came from my local dollar store and made them into 12V DC lights that don’t go out after a few hours and are much brighter. It’s pretty simple and inexpensive.

if it did not come with a remote to control rgb sequence, you prbly can not, we’d be ale to answer better if you linked what lights you have or posted a pic of it and internals

My first attempt of posting pictures!
I see it’s got an 18650 battery I would love to upgrade but not have to spotweld

I don’t see anything that looks like the controller module. Maybe there is something on the other side. The one I looked at is only about 3mm across and less than 1 mm deep. As to the battery, if there is room enough you could put in a single 18650 battery holder like this one

I bought a bunch of them from China for around a dollar each postpaid (before the USPS raised rates). If that is too big to fit, buy a battery with the tabs already attached and solder the lead to the tab.

i do not see rgb controller either, the board looks like a charging board, rgb has to be someplace else, possibly where the leds are/.

as far as battery upgrade, unless your battery is toast , putting a new one wont make lights brighter nor run longer, the light is designed to charge during the day, and discharge at night, that solar panel can only provide so much current even under best conditions, i saw 18650 at home depot a replacement for solar lights, they were Westinghouse cells and were, iirc, 2000mah . there is no point for more capacity, they wont be filled more than charger can put in.

no doubt the led has the controller chip on the board itself

can you show what the led looks like from behind maybe

Some LEDs have the controler built onto the same die as the emitters, same as some of the older Red LEDs could have a flasher circuit built in. I have a bunch of color changing leds here that look like normal leds and you just give them power and that`s it.

Looks like there are 3 different small leds in each one but only 2 wires feeding them

yea looks like each led has an onboard controller, not much you can do short of replacing leds with single color leds, they look like 10mm leds, but could be 8mm leds too,

Yes I measured them and they are 10 mm diameter. So do I just order 10 mm leds in the desired color and solder them in ? Or is there something better ? I really want a green color and would like it to run at dark for 5 hours at least throwing a green light. Originally I thought you could choose the color and experiment with red and green.
In the current setup it surprisingly runs all night.

yea replacing them with greens should work, however it is not as straight forward as it seems, there is an issue with current and voltage, i assume those are 3v 20ma leds, but it is just a guess based on what i’ve seen before, if you can find 3v 20ma green it would be direct swap, but i do not know if your leds really are 3v 20ma leds, what you can do is to measure voltage when your leds are running, then unsolder one wire, and measure current they all consume, since they are wired in parallel, divide by 4 and you’ll know what each led pulls, you will have an idea if you will be able to run green leds straight, just like yours are, or you’ll need a resistor.
as far as 4 hours, if you can match current and voltage, greens will run as long as yours rgb do now,