How do you cope with long waits after ordering something?

That’s exactly what I do. I place one or two orders a week.
Now I have developped some kind of “checkthemailbox-o-mania” which overcomes me daily, when I reach home after work.
On the door step, sometimes even before I say hello, I shout: “Did you already check the mailbox today darling?”

Please, Don’t whine about how-long-does-my-shipping-takes-to-arrive.
Sounds rude?

Let me explain…

I live in Italy and thanks to our beloved Customs and their obscure burocracy, we have to wait for them sslloooowwlllyy checking value and content of any imported packages for Vat and import duties, add to this our worldwide-famous postal service delivery (many ebay sellers refuse to sell to Italy because of excessive amounts of claims/delays/lost packages) means I’m really really lucky if I receive an ordered item in 3 weeks free from duties (very small/low-value items), but usually it takes something between 4 to 6 weeks just to receive in my mailbox an envelope from the Customs service, which says that the declared value on the package papers just does not seems “appropriate” to them, so I have to provide them copies of my original order plus paypal or bank receipt from which they can retrieve the real price, failure to comply to this will results in duties to be applied using their “calculated” value, which usually is like 4-5 times the real price. Obviously I have to send also copy of my ID card and other personal documents, and I have to send all this by fax or by priority envelope, because still in 2012 they don’t use e-mail….
After sending by fax all requested documents, usually in a couple more weeks the package can finally clear the custom, and in another week or so, if not lost somewhere in the meantime, I receive in the mailbox the small card saying the postman passed for delivery but nobody was present. I know for sure they leave that card straight on without ever dealing with a real delivery, because this way is much easier for them…
So after 2 more days I have to go to the main post office (the main city one, not the local) and finally, after paying duties, I can get my package.

Now, you living anywhere else in the world, are you still whining?!?

:Sp

omg

:D

I read about all the other things I could have ordered. Welcome new members. Research another idea. Watch utube videos. And pine

Vodka

Rockspider, you poor, poor man. I will never again complain about the USPS. China Post I'll bitch about endlessly, but not USPS.

To the OP. Order little things regularly. It helps to dull the pain between receipts of the things you really want. And like Troop, I would rather pay a few bucks more for domestic supplied items.

I only order stateside. Ain’t got no time too wait. Seems I have been waiting ALL my life & I’m tarred of it!

Keith

Strangely , my recent experiences has been exactly the opposite.
China Post has taken far less time to get my package to U.S soil , than USPS has to get them to my hands.
3 of my recent orders have sat in NY for 8 days and then another 4 to my hands.
I was neither pleased nor amused with them… !!! J)

Re-sellers that take more than 5 working days to get my order
to post, displeases me even more.
Some have even made my NTFA list , regardless of how good the deal.
And for the record it takes A LOT to get on that list.
Of course lying to me , is a guaranteed way to get on that list. J)

I’d much rather buy a domestically supplied item and do so at every opportunity !
Sadly the variety of items available are rather limited.

I see that the OP is in Australia so specifically what I do may not allow but especially regarding knives (but with lights as well) I’ll ordered some from the U.S. soon after placing a larger order from China.

That way I’ll get something new in a few days and then forget about the China order and it’s almost like a surprise when it arrives.

Again, regarding knives it’s a little better because there are a few good choices here within the U.S. and exduct from China usually arrives within 10 days as well.

If it’s flashlights from China I just order and forget about them and then order little things locally.

I see that the OP is in Australia so specifically what I do may not allow but especially regarding knives (but with lights as well) I’ll ordered some from the U.S. soon after placing a larger order from China.

That way I’ll get something new in a few days and then forget about the China order and it’s almost like a surprise when it arrives.

Again, regarding knives it’s a little better because there are a few good choices here within the U.S. and Exduct from China usually arrives within 10 days as well.

If it’s flashlights from China I just order and forget about them and then order little things locally.

+1 What is the deal? Anything from China that goes through NY is delayed. My China orders that go through the West Coast arrive in a timely manner.

Interesting topic, I do find myself looking up tracking numbers too often. When the status changes I get excited knowing my parcel is one step closer to my doorstep. I just hold onto and fiddle with my other torches or just find something else to do around the house. There is always something to do.

When I ordered my trustfire TR-1200 I also ordered a throwing axe with it just for fun (the customs called it a throwing axe, but I just thought it was a fancy axe).
customs delayed my package for 2 weeks, so I guess australian customs aren’t so bad.

Except they did confiscate my axe… :frowning:
Then 2 days later I got a letter explaining that it got confiscated, and that I can either make a claim for it or do nothing.

See Post #35
9 days from NY to my hand :

This was not a isolated incident.
I have 5 more that USPS has dropped the ball in a big way !!

And I still have 3 more orders “in transit” that will come thru NY ! :expressionless:

Make diagrams of how bigger my new lights gonna shine. Tell my neighbor to ignore the green dot in their bedroom windows. Convert all my indoor led bulbs into hanging flashlights. Make distance flash cards for those night comparison shots. Charge my batteries & discharge them. Drive around town looking for places to shine my new flashlights. And finally post up my old flashlights that will be replaced here. Or give them away for free!

Yeah, that’s me. How do I cope? Not well.

Rich

I order at LEAST one thing a week, so every week something new arrives. Most stuff take so damn long to get here, I’ve totally forgot I ordered it! Every day is almost like christmas!

-Jamie M.

:8) i just chew my finger nails and wait ! thats the acciting part!!
look below at the 9 item im eagerly waitin on at da moment!!!

Mini CREE Q5 LED Flashlight Torch 7W 300LM Adjustable Foc… (150878981269)
Member id tomtop.wholesaler | Feedback Score Of 72436 | 99.4%
Your max bid: US $6.15
Sale date: 15/08/12
Tracking number: —
US $6.15

C $6.08

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-15. Shipped 16/08/12 Feedback not left Positive feedback received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

CREE Q5 LED 7 W can be adjust beam Zoom In/Out 300lumens Mini Flashlight Torch D CREE Q5 LED 7 W can be adjust beam Zoom In/Out 300lumens … (271034374300)
Member id vikicompany | Feedback Score Of 14590 | 99.4%
Your max bid: US $6.05
Sale date: 13/08/12
US $6.05

C $5.98

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-13. Shipped 14/08/12 Feedback not left Feedback not received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

New Bright CREE Adjustable Focu Q5 LED 7Watt 7W 300lumen Mini Flashlight Torch New Bright CREE Adjustable Focu Q5 LED 7Watt 7W 300lumen … (400314942890)
Member id micro.digital | Feedback Score Of 16689 | 99.3%
Your max bid: US $7.05
Sale date: 13/08/12
US $7.05

C $6.97

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-13. Shipped 13/08/12 Feedback not left Feedback not received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

Digital Non-Contact Laser IR Laser Thermometer Gun –50℃ to 380℃ Digital Non-Contact Laser IR Laser Thermometer Gun –50℃… (140813736408)
Member id ttmallzone365 | Feedback Score Of 19 | 100.0%
Sale date: 11/08/12
US $12.99

C $12.84

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-15. Shipped 15/08/12 Feedback not left Feedback not received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

New Fashionable CREE Q5 LED 7W Zoomable Flashlight Zoom Torch 400 Lumens HOT dy New Fashionable CREE Q5 LED 7W Zoomable Flashlight Zoom T… (160859977679)
Member id jiejiestore2009 | Feedback Score Of 11961 | 99.4%
Your max bid: US $7.01
Sale date: 11/08/12
US $7.01

C $6.93

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-11. Shipped 12/08/12 Feedback not left Positive feedback received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

New CREE Q5 LED Flashlight 240 Lumens Light Zoom Adjustable Focus Torch 3 Modes New CREE Q5 LED Flashlight 240 Lumens Light Zoom Adjustab… (150872970368)
Member id chenping27 | Feedback Score Of 7438 | 99.7%
Your max bid: US $5.52
Sale date: 10/08/12
Tracking number: RA377706597CN
US $5.51

C $5.45

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-10. Shipped 11/08/12 Feedback not left Positive feedback received View order details
Leave feedback
More actions

Mini CREE Q5 LED Flashlight Torch 7W 300LM Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp Mini CREE Q5 LED Flashlight Torch 7W 300LM Adjustable Foc… (150875576543)
Member id tomtop.wholesaler | Feedback Score Of 72436 | 99.4%
Your max bid: US $6.10
US $6.05

C $5.98

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-10. Shipped 13/08/12 Feedback not left Positive feedback received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

5W Newest Bright LED Waterproof Flashlight Torch Outdoor Camping Carrying Light 5W Newest Bright LED Waterproof Flashlight Torch Outdoor … (271032659197)
Member id snstrade168 | Feedback Score Of 1883 | 98.9%
Your max bid: US $1.00
US $0.99

C $0.98

+ US $3.65

C $3.61

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-10. Shipped 11/08/12 Feedback not left Positive feedback received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

LCD Screen Digital Clock Car Thermometer Hygrometer Black Weather Forecast Top LCD Screen Digital Clock Car Thermometer Hygrometer Black… (280935303629)
Member id lyang2010 | Feedback Score Of 12023 | 99.1%
Sale date: 08/08/12
US $15.99

C $15.80

Free

shipping

Paid with PayPal on 2012-08-08. Shipped 09/08/12 Feedback not left Feedback not received Leave feedback
Contact seller
More actions

Just order more stuff. Only downside is that I’m more addicted to the padded manilla envelopes than I am to flashlights. :frowning:

My latest “technique” is after placing an order for whatever (from China) I’ll order a used (cheap) book via one of the used book sellers on Amazon.

That comes fairly fast and keeps me occupied until the China order arrives.