how hard to push xp-l hi

looking to put an xp-l hi in an L2 and wondering how hard I should push it……not sure if Im gonna use a direct drive or linear driver…. thoughts?

Direct drive will be just fine as long as you have it on a DTP board. That’s all I use though, the only lights I have that do not have a dd driver in them are stock lights that I can’t open up to replace the driver and led.

What matters is how many amps you’re pushing, I ran 6.6A through a XPL HI on noctigon with a taskled driver and it killed it instantly. Since then I only run them direct drive, they don’t get past 6A and even in small hosts like the S2+ it works fine.

It’s like the old mechanic’s rule of torque: Tighten it till it strips, then next time go 1/2 turn less.

So drive it till it smokes, then next time 500mA less will do the job better

Just joking of course, but what’s life without a bit of humor!
Phil

DTP board? Direct to pill?

a.k.a. Direct thermal path…

a.k.a. Direct thermal path…

whoops, ok cool thanks

The part I have italicized/stricken is a bit misleading with the context that follows it.

• Yes, DD is usually safe w/ the LED on a DTP MCPCB.
  • Yes, the bond wires on these LEDs will poof easily once a high enough current goes through them.
  • DD current is not directly comparable to the current from the TaskLED driver, see below.

The TaskLED driver would either be buck or boost. The output from a typical buck or boost LED driver has peaks higher than the average current. These peaks last long enough to poof those bond wires, so the maximum survivable current from a driver of this type will be lower than the maximum survivable DD current.

Let’s reference RMM from RMM’s MTN-MAXlp thread:

the most powerful driver I have used was a linear with 14 x .350 7135 chips and tail spring mod. so around 4.9-ish amps

What AWG are you running to the led to get 6A and what cell? On the S2+ I’m assuming you’re using a single 18650. With a 30Q I can’t even get 5A, so I’m trying to figure out where my bottleneck is. Thanks.

What taskled driver ?