how reliable rechargeable lithium AA in cold temp, -25C

Hi,

I am looking to change the batteries in my T800 Walkie-Talkie  for rechargeable AA lithium.

Since I am using them in cold temperature, like -25C, I am wondering how are they performing ?

are they better than NIMh like Eneloop ?

Thanks

We’re very glad to have you here, curvenut01!

1 Thank

My experience is that the only batteries worth using in very low temperatures are the lithium non-rechargeable batteries like the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. I have not found a rechargeable battery that works well in such cold temperatures.

Unfortunately these batteries are expensive, and as they aren’t rechargeable, the repeating cost of replacements adds up…

1 Thank

Another problem might be the voltage converter is known to interfere with radios. Might be the same with walkie-talkie.
No personal experience with that.
I used to use walkie talkies for skiing back country and used NiMh. Cold but no where near -25C cold though.

1 Thank

There are different 1.5v on the market some better some worst. Almost no known manufacturer makes those, 1 exception xtar. unless you try, you wont know for sure.
If i had to try, i’d try xtar, the only brand known for batteries and chargers, they also make 1.5v li ion with most capacity. As far as interference, in theory possible, but i use green xtar aaa in my kid toy radio, no unusual noise or static. i took few of those (other brands) apart, the converter is in metal pill, so it is somewhat shielded.
As far as -25C, neither battery likes cold, all will lose capacity somewhat. Lithiums energizers will probably be best choice, but they are not cheap.

1 Thank

I have no noticable differences in run time of rechargeables (mostly 18350 and 18650 but some 14500) down to -50F… so far. minimal use so far at -40f to -50f, but a Lot of use at -35F this year and there was no difference to running at 0F to 10F

I actually get better run time overall in the winter compared to summer because the thermal properties, the flashlight and thus the battery don’t heat or overheat as fast and Last Longer in general.

For reference -35F is -37C.
-25C is only -13F, at or warmer than 90% of my use so far this winter.

In flashlights anyway.

Now, that is lights that are Never pocketed, or in Headlamps, put in outer shell coat pockets. So in use or in carry they aren’t much warmer other than heat they produce themselves.

But, they aren’t in that temp range all the time; 15 to 20 minutes at a shot, maybe 40 minutes max.

The one light that saw the most -50f lasted about 40 to 50% as long as usual before dropping to about 25%, (by its built in meter, not actual voltage- sealed in battery probably a 18650) after seeing a week of no use just sitting at -35F to -50F.

Normally that light sits about 3 days to a week at 0f to -20f, and gets up to about 40f or 50f for a few hours once or twice a week.(Olight Swivel used as truck cab dome light). In those conditions I charge it once every 6 months, if as often.

And, as I say, that is in flashlights. I Don’t have them in anything else, and I’m not sure how the thermal dynamics work otherwise. Any device heats the battery as it drains, but leds and drivers get Hot. So in use anyway, I’m sure a battery in a flashlight is warmer than one in a radio. But storage/ unuse temp would be the same.

I have no data for current NIMh cells, nor the enloop brand, but with Sony and Energizer rechargeable 1.5v AA sized cells from around 2010 to 2020, in the same conditions and use as above, I had the same outcome… Other than a general gain in run time in cooler temps, the extreme cold never seemed to bother anything.

There is probably a difference in all actuality… but in real life use, not being scientific about it, I never see it, and have quite caring about it, I just use everything as needed.

1 Thank

Thanks for the feedback !
I am going to continue to search for data about the rechargeable lithium AA battery on cold weather!

Big difference if you keep it exposed to the cold like in a holster, or warmed in a pocket or vest.

2 Thanks