How should a beginner spend $300?

I would think that the light would have reverse protection so glad to know that, the spring was in perfect condition, so I am stumped, but it really did a number on that driver, completely melted together and stunk bad, that was what got my attention was the smell, but I can assure you this won’t prevent me from getting a new one, looking for some codes right now and thinking of buying new 14500 cells since it very well could have been a cell just went bad as you mentioned and just vented beats me, the light is one of my favorites.

Yeah, from your above description I was thinking that your cell may have gone bad. It could have shorted as well and took time to heat up. Very strange situation.

Any particular reason to chose 6x7135 over 8x7135?

*6 would have a lower high mode than *8. If you don’t plan on using 100% on *8, 100% on a *6 might suit you better, plus moonlight mode will be a bit dimmer. Since I don’t need a super low moonlight, I’d keep using the *8 and, if it’s a biscotti driver, set it to one of the group modes that goes up to 50% of max current for high, so you still can access the 100% one day, if you feel like it

thx.
Learning a lot from reading these forums.
Are Astrolux C8 and Convoy C8 the same thing? Looks like I should go with XP-L Hi version for a thrower?
How do these compare to Sorfirn C8T?

The design is pretty similar among them, and for throw you should definitely go with the XP-L HI

Convoy has a linear driver that maxes at 2.8 amp. The Astrolux and the Sofirn use FET drivers, so they can potentially be brighter (reaching from 4 to 6 amp I think), and the Sofirn has different knurling on the tube and different tail design

Convoy has it available in more colors also

Maybe that’s the protection: short out and fry the cell to protect the driver. :smiling_imp:

I ran the numbers from the stock-lights’ spex, and going from 6 to 8 is gaining only something like 10–12 more light at the expense of 33% more current.

Ie, you’re killing your runtime a bit and just generating more heat than light.

Genius! Who would have thunk :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, what did you end up buying so far? Just curious as I enjoyed this post and hearing everyone’s suggestions. Have you done your first group buy or flash sale yet?