How to do a review ? Help guide: share your Tips and Tricks.

member _the_ pointed me to a very useful online tool, that will help you with timing.

you can use Loop Count down timer to tell you when an X amount of minutes have passed.

Great if you write things down like light output, or amp draw, every X amount of minutes.

I would like to get some feedback on my SWM C10R review.

I kept it really crisp and clear, I`m not much of an entertainer, nor a sales person.
But I wanted to share the things that people are usally interested in, with some good and clear photography.

I also reduced the size of most of the pictures, so it doesn`t take ages to load, and keeps the overview very simple.
Clicking on those smaller pictures will link them to a bigger version of that picture.
I actually really like how it looks like.. Easy to navigate, and easy to find the information you want to know.

But that`s from my view..

what do you guys think? Would like to hear some opinions.
What do you guys think about those small pictures?

Nice review, ChibiM!

I don’t think the pictures are too small. 400-500px wide seems a reasonable compromise for forums and mobile devices.

I like how they are arranged in 2x2 grid with border. The only time I thought they were too small were the family pics.

I think the large mouseover works better for the urban beam shots.

Thanks Chloe for your reply!

Most of the pictures in the review are reduced to 240pixels wide, and put together, as they usually are a part of a series. So they might seem to be 4 pictures in 1, but are 4separate ones, you can click on any of them to see the larger picture.

Yes, the smaller pics for the beamshots are just for reference, to see which one is which light.

An Yes I agree that they need to be large to see the difference.

For the smaller pics, I thought not everybody would be interested in them, so I kept them small. And if someone want to see a bigger version, simply click on the pic.

Thanks again for your comments.

My latest way of doing the runtime test, and at the same time Lux ceiling bounce output test.

I used to sit in my little hobbyroom, using a digital kitchen timer set to 5 minutes, and every 5 minutes write the numbers down from my Lux meter. In the end, I put it all in an excel file, and make a graph for run-time/output.

But that was very time consuming.. sometimes I had to sit there for 2-3 hours, and writing down the lux numbers every 5 minutes.

but now I have a much better way of doing it, and it`s very cheap.

Within the picture I put a Stopwatch, the Lux meter, and the Light......
So I can turn it on, leave my room, and get back after a few hours....

This is a budget friendly and time-saving solution...(if you already have some photography equipment like a DSLR or camera with time lapse function)

What you need:

• DSLR with port for a remote controlled shutter release
    or a digital camera with a Time Lapse function
  • Electronic timer remote shutter (available for about $12 on ebay etc)

• Kitchen timer/Stopwatch/Clock

• Lux meter

• a fan.. for high output flashlights, which can get pretty hot

• Excel / Openoffice spreadsheet

Most time consuming is adding all the numbers into a spreadsheet when you`re done.

I use a

This is how it could look like...

ps... use at your own risk... if you don`t trust it, just stay in the same room with the flashlight.

And this is how my spreadsheet would look like.. (pretty simple and straightforward)

Thanks for sharing Chibi. You may be able to save some time if you have software that does OCR. You could batch edit your images with a program like XnView to crop the image so that it only shows the lux meter screen. Let's say that each cropped file results in an OCR'd text file. You could have those files concatenated into a single new file, and even import them into a table.

That would be very interesting!. Not sure what software is needed then.

Any idea?

I use XnView for batch cropping and other batch adjustments, then Acrobat for OCR. I don't remember if Acrobat can do a batch conversion. Since I was scanning books, I would add all the pages and then OCR. There may be better and less expensive options for OCR.

Time for an update.. If you guys have some other great ideas, let`s share them

This is an App for Android to make runtime graphs.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/45138

Or a direct link: https://github.com/zakwilson/ceilingbounce/releases/

Interested to hear some new ideas and opinions on how you can do a review. Tips, tricks, tools, ways of measuring etc...

Pretty much all I have to say on the matter……

A brief opening note about the “Real World Reviews”

At this point many fellow “flashaholics” have developed very sophisticated and detailed methods for measuring nearly every conceivable technical aspect of the illumination products on the market. The “Real World Reviews” acknowledge the existence of the detailed technical reviews (and I’ll link to them below if I can) but will not re-hash all of that tech data. Instead the focus of the “Real World Reviews” is to take that “laboratory” information out into real world conditions to give the reader an idea of how the numbers translate into actual use.

===

Can you give an example by what you mean?

The above is the start of every “Real World Review” I write which explains my review philosophy. Not sure how much more I can clarify it.

Feel free to look up “Real World Reviews” for more.

gotcha! I just watched your review, and you mostly describe what you experienced by using the light rather than using measuring devices etc.. Fair enough!

Exactly. I figure at this point enough folks are doing the super detailed “technical” reports so I wanted to try something different.

With the one I read you did a terrific job. Btw, do you have any tips for those kinds of reciews? Even some simple tips? Like take extra battery, put the light somewhere, points you consider importabt for a real world review?

I think one of the big things is consistency.
My “targets” are all at a pre-measured distance and I try to use the lights from the same angle in roughly the same places on “the standard evening walk” so that lights can be compared across reviews. Of course there are a lot of variables I can’t control like ambient light, temperature, and so forth, but I do the best I can to give an idea of what light can “cut-it” for various outdoor tasks.

I also always do a very short summary (no more than two paragraphs) at the end so the people in a hurry can just skip down to the summary.

Photos are always good, but make sure to caption them because people don’t always understand the point of the photo.

I've been searching for this thread for a while.. using the search function in BLF didn't show up this thread. Bumping it to the top may help... just a bump to help other reviewers out with some interesting hints and tips

Subscribing! I need to learn some stuff :+1:
Thanks for putting it together!

If the light is available in more than 1 tint then the tint being tested should be mentioned up front and possibly even in the description. And mention the other available tints and whether the tester chose the tint.