How to drill holes in pill (for securing star)?

From this: http://www.fasttech.com/product/1208600

'Laptop screws' doesn't include screws for the HDD-to-caddy and caddy-to-laptop, those are usually 5mm(oops) 3mm which is the same thread as used in newer desktops (though with smaller/thinner heads). Older desktops used 6-32, which is much bigger. Most everything else in a laptop - access covers, case screws, LCD bezel, etc. - are going to be 2mm, sometimes larger screws used in stressed parts like the hinges. But if you strip down a laptop and sort out all the screws, 90% or better will be that same 2mm thread size & pitch. Hence my suggestion of a 'laptop screws variety pack'. Because all the 2mm screws will be the same thread as the ones used in the Fasttech C8 pill.

I haven’t had a chance to put the new screws side-by-side with the ones from the C8 pill from FT yet (rough day/night). The ones I got yesterday are silver/stainless steel, whereas the ones that came with the FT C8 pill are black, so maybe (hopefully) it’s a visual illusion. I’ll try to do pics and measurements when I have a chance.

Hi,

I don’t see that quote when I click the FT link you provided?

Quote? Huh? The FT link was in response to "Comfychair is that a actual screw out of a C8 pill and does it measure 2mm."

The screws included with the C8 pill are 2mm. If the ones you got are bigger, you either ordered the wrong size or they sent you something other than what you ordered.

Hi,

Apologies. It looked like the whole message (including the quote) was one message.

That was my thoughts also. The M2 screw should be the correct size threads. It might have a bigger head or longer in length, but should thread right in the pill. A dremel or proxxon rotary tool will take care of the other size problems.

Man, you guys are going to force me to go down the basement, even though my back’s killing me and my wife still has some chores for me… in a bit…

If you take the two screws, but them side by side with the heads pointing in opposite directions and mesh the threads together they should line up and mesh together like sharks teeth. If they don’t mesh the threads are wrong.

I didn’t do that, but it looks like you all were right. The ones from FT C8 are 2mm, but much smaller heads, and shorter:

The FT C8 screw thread diameter:

and the ones I bought:

These were the shortest one that that bolt place had BTW…

So, mystery solved, and thanks everyone!

:p

I just about bet the farm, that’s a M2. :bigsmile:
I believe your dome has fell off your led comfychair. :wink:

Yep, M2, using the original thread in the FT C8 pill. Screws came from an ancient bag marked 'Vaio display screws'. The dang heads are thinner than the LED substrate! (and bigger diameter heads than the FT screws, which didn't even catch the edge of the star)

What do you recommend? Pan head or flat head?
Will this work on C8?

:beer:

Hi,

In case you’re interested, I’m giving away some of the ones I got (you’re in lower-48, right?):

Later,
Jim

Thanks! PM sent. :beer:

3mm is too short. Too long is better, they're so small they are easy to clip off shorter. M2 x 4.3 seems to be the most common size, and also long enough to get good thread engagement with a 1.5-1.6mm thick MCPCB. The pill surface will nearly always be thicker than the star (or it should be, if it's not junk) and for something this small it's not a bad idea to make sure the screw extends all the way through and has some free threads on the other side.

I’am not for certain but from what measurements ohaya took the screw is a M2 x 3mm. The head in your link looks like comfychair’s screw he used in the pick above with the C8 pill. If the heads is to big you could always grind them down a little. A file would probably work quick to, these things are tiny. You can always make them smaller but making them bigger would definitely be a challenge. Also the length by some sellers is measured from the head to the end of the screw. The correct way is the measurement of the threaded area only. So if you order 3 mm (depends on how they measure it) it could measure 3 mm totally length or 3 mm in the threads and a few mm for the head. From the link you gave the thread count does look like the same as FT screw. I would probably do like comfychair suggested and buy them a little longer, cut them off if there too long. If you buy them in 10 mm length you can make them what ever size you need as long as its not over 10 mm. I usually buy mine as long as I can get and cut’em what ever size I need. :slight_smile:

Comfy and Moderator, thanks for the tip/info!

The head thickness on the actual 'laptop screws' is only .024", very very very low profile. That's 0.6mm.

Bumping this thread. There's so much useful information here, from sizes of screws, taps, self tapping tricks, where to get tiny screws, and more.