How to remove the branding from flashlights?

Thanks for all the input
Hm no getting rid of those ugly branding
Why don’t they just save a few cents and skip the marking making?

From what I’ve read, the print is done after anodizing but before it’s sealed. So, it is sealed in the pores of the anodizing.

I have removed print from a cheap HD case that was printed after the sealing process by scraping. Still difficult but didn’t harm the anodizing.

Why would they do that ?
Your question could be asked of any manufacturer of anything ever made.
Advertising and having your name visible is key for business.

It probably was just wishfull thinking from The Miller

Yeah unfortunately they want us to change into walking advertisements.
I always try to find stuff without visible branding.
Wish they do it like with notebooks, you open it up the first time to be greeted by a square foot of shiny stickers with brands and such. After checkup they can be removed to get a clean look.
HereAgainAgain, you do not have a properly working wishing well you could throw some cents in for me do you? :slight_smile:

Grinder :slight_smile:

If you strip the anodization you can still see what was written on them, so it changes the aluminium itself. That’s why I think it’s laser engraved too.

You can use a permanent marker to make them less visible, but a lot of things don’t stick very good on flashlights/aluminium/anodization and you would still have the flattened surface with the writings on it.
On some of my lights I have used the marker method to “repair” ugly scratches, less visible but still there…

The engraving/etching is done after the anodizing and it goes right through to the base metal. If you scrape the paint away you’ll find bright shiny bare aluminum underneath.

When I make a wood handled tube the logo portion is removed leaving only the threaded ends. Some use paracord wraps, others might strip and polish or ceramecote, powder coat, etc. Certainly some brands and logos are more appealing than others but that comes under aesthetics rather than function. I agree that sans logo a la BLF 348 is a desirable option but it might require another group buy to make it happen.

RMM’s stock of Supfire is all unbranded. I’d love to see more unbranded lights, such as unbranded Convoy lights.

I need to get a way to engrave my avatar on my future projects. Just kidding, it’s not my IP, just thought it was a funny choice considering the silly (and tongue in cheek considering my many hobbies) handle I came up with when I joined.

I imagine that having hobby level versions of engraving devices will be a reality in the near future so we can label as we see fit. I’m being lazy by not googling in advance of having made that last statement, and may already have been proven correct. Look at the relatively inexpensive 3D printers that are already available. It wasn’t long ago that they were just an idea and now you can just order one online with the obvious caveats that a limited budget is bound to preclude.

Given the ristrictions on laser power and how much power might be needed to engrave small scale cnc engraving might be more likely. Who knows though? Maybe laser reactive coatings could allow very low power laser engraving.

I would love to see more unbranded everything. Unbranded feels like it’s mine.

Branded stuff (t-shits, jeans, shoes, everything) feel like a small loss of freedom and a small abuse as a billboard.

Check if you have any local hackerspaces. Many have CO2 lasers that can do this type of engraving. Then you could at least cleanly obliterate the branding / logo.

These sound interesting. But the nearest one (Area 515) to me is 4.5 hours away and according to their forum, struggling to survive.

Which Convoy lights are you thinking should go logo free? He intentionally did not put a logo on any of the newer L2 as he knows a lot of people will be building their own. I haven’t discussed that aspect of the L6 with Simon yet but that one too may be unbranded though I cannot promise that. with Convoy personally like the logo being there as I’m quite an outspoken fan but I’d be curious to see which models you are thinking of.

Thanks for asking. Certainly I’d prefer that hosts have no branding. I don’t generally buy lights to use “stock”, so really I’d prefer no logo on anything I buy. Personally I like having the (blank) physical logo flats so that custom marks can be added later.

You do know there is a second group buy for another batch of the BLF-348 going on now right? You have the option of logo or no logo and even a gift box for an additional dollar. 3rd batch produced!! GBGB: 2nd batch of BLF-348 (Classy and Small 1xAAA Stainless Steel light, with Nichia NVSW219B-V1 R9050)!

I don’t mean to speak for RBD but the way I was reading the comment was “it might require another group buy to make it happen [for any other flashlights]. - Again, maybe I read something into it that wasn’t there.

Yes I had seen it and are on the list for 1