I am having a difficult time with the new BLF interface.

My appologies to everyone. As some know i have been dealing with heath issues as one thing, but been finding it awkward to navigate & use the new BLF server interface, thus is one of the reasons why i have drifted away & not been very active lately. The new BLF interface i feel is more complex & harder to navigate than the original one that i felt was like a “familliar room in the house i knew so well” so to speak. I still enjoy budget lights, ther forum community, and still work art & tweek the LT1 to better the lantern. (my current project one i have frankenstiened to have a 3 year long glow mode, oil-lamp flame effect candle mode, run on eight 18650’s and even working on an idea to get it to respond to Google Alexa voice commands using a Goggle-dot/Goggle-Home, and bluetooth/wifi ideas. I hope everyone has been doing well! - Den / DBSAR-light

4 Thanks

New interface sucks balls, but there nothing you can do about that.

1 Thank

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to post despite the struggles.

What are the areas of the new forum interface that you are having issues with? We can help.

Do you use the site primarily on a phone or on a computer? (might be relevent to advice given)

2 Thanks

Likewise!

1 Thank

I’m interested to see what you did on the LT1 to use 8x18650.

Good to see you posting. I have missed your posts.

I think most people have gotten past “most” of their objections to the new site. You can do anything you want, it is just different. There are several threads where SB answered questions and fixed many things. It might be worth checking them out.
Also, anything specific that you are struggling with… well ask. The community has been very supportive in figuring things out. Once you get it figured out, it can become just as familiar as the old format. At least it has for me.

Sorry to hear about your health issues… I can relate, believe me.

PS, this might be a place to start the familiarity thing:

2 Thanks

I agree with the interface sentiment, especially the endless scrolling of long threads and lack of the last post button. I’m aware of the slider, but don’t particularly find it better than the years of familiarity developed with use of the previous interface style. I also preferred the previous method of clicking on the BLF link at the top of the page to update the latest threads.

KuoH

1 Thank

Hey there @DBSAR, great to see you! Really sorry to hear about your continued health problems. Thanks a lot for staying in touch with us, we all really appreciate it.

I totally understand. I know the migration to this new forum platform wasn’t something that everyone requested or welcomed. But the decision wasn’t taken lightly, and it was necessary. The reasons are described in detail in the aforementioned FAQs thread.

While the value of the familiarity with the old forum engine can’t be denied, the new one now should allow you to easily do everything that you used to do on the old forum, albeit possibly in a different way / interface.

So I would simply request you to browse through the FAQs, and then continue using the forum like you used to do as time permits. You also might find these helpful to locate your old posts and threads that you participated in:

If you find any specific aspects more difficult or unclear then please do let us know.

Thanks again for staying in touch!

2 Thanks

Hi there, good to see you too. I’d also be interested in hearing what specific aspects you’re having trouble with.

Hi there! I guess my question would be, what are you usually trying to do when scrolling long threads? If it’s a matter of reading many sequential posts in a long thread that you’re getting into, then there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference between infinite scrolling and pagination. If you’re looking for a specific date range and/or a specific post number then the time slider works great for that. Or if you’re trying to locate a specific keyword or posts by a specific user in that thread, then the in-thread search function and/or the filter button when clicking on a user’s avatar are much more effective.

Sorry I didn’t get this, what are you referring to here?

It actually works the same way if you click on the three flashlights picture at the top left. Also notice that without reloading the page it will show a highlighted bar at the top of the /latest posts list when there is new activity.

1 Thank

There is “last reply” below the OP of each thread that you can click on.
Maybe that’s the same thing. :thinking:

Stick with it, I hated it at first, now I like it better.

It will grow on you, like a fungus or a mold :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Thanks

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

LOL* true.

Thanks SB. :slightly_smiling_face: I will certanly try!

1 Thank