I broke my foot!

Get well soon bud. I wish this was a hobgoblin I was passing you :beer:

No expert Glen, but my wife broke her foot this past summer in a simliar manner, foot landed sideways. Lost her balance on the last step going down the back deck. Doctors said it depends on the break if pins might be needed. I would stay off that foot if possible even though you feel only a little pain. Another doctor said pins right away and my wife is afraid of needles never mind surgery. After 2-3 X-rays in like 3 weeks the 1st doctor said looks good for a hard cast no pins, forgot how long but more x-rays to see if bones were healing right. Then she switched from a hard cast to a walking boot. My wifeā€™s foot healed on itā€™s own, it was a few months I canā€™t remember.

Sorry to hear you're a diabetic. My dad had that as well, but he lived a good life till he was 86. Not too shabby. I hope I live that long. I seriously appreciate the kind responses I've been getting! Thanks a million to all of you!!!!!!!

BTW, I have no idea what a drop foot is?

Whatever the doctor recommends I'm going to do, even if it means getting pins installed!. BTW, I have a high tolerance to pain. My problem is the unknown. I get freaked out. When all is said and done, I'm sure things will turn out right. Keep posted for pictures that may make the weak at heart wince. But then again, it may be nothing bad, just a cast or a boot. I'll post those pictures as well :)

Gords, Wish you were here to do shots with me. I know you're the kind of guy that could keep up with me, maybe even surpass me!

Looks like a bad day Glenn - Sorry to hear about it. At least you have that 190 Proof Alcohol - that should numb any physical and mental pain this may cause you :slight_smile:

PPtk

Thank you my friend! Right now I've had more than a few sips of the 190 proof grain alcohol you recommended. It not only cleans flux really well, it makes me not give a s**t of my injury right now. Thanks again!!!!

My wife was driving me nuts through the whole recovery, she would be ringing the bell every few minutes for assistance! She didnā€™t have a bell but she would struggle and give me the eye like help me. Guess that was better than flashing a light on SOS mode at me for assistance.

Hey Glenn,

Wow, sorry that happened. Please, if you need anything or some assistance with anything around the house, please donā€™t hesitate to call. Hope it heals fast.

deleted

I have no idea what a drop foot is?

Pretty much as it sounds, people can raise their foot towards their shin a bit, I canā€™t, in fact I canā€™t even stand with my feet flat on the ground, itā€™s like being on ā€œtip toesā€ 100% of the time, so when crossing the street I lift my foot to get up onto the sidewalk, forget the foot doesnā€™t raise and hit the kerb and fall over, funny but annoying, I have this in both feet, as well as my left leg being 1 1/2ā€ shorter than my right, so always try to put my left leg/foot on kerb first, being ā€œhigherā€ that way with my right leg on the road helps, thereā€™s nothing that can be done, I donā€™t have a doctor anyway.
I am retired due to ill health anyway, victim of (hit and run drink driver).
tabs

Oh shit, that sucks :( I wish there was a way it could be fixed for you. I don't even know what to say my friend. I guess we learn to live with our problems. I know, although I have no real physical problems, I have to deal with being extremely neurotic. It's not easy being me, but I deal with it

All i know (from personal experience unfortunately) if possible ask for plastic cast not ordinary gypsum based. As plastic is not damaged with water regular hygiene can be maintained, not to mention itching problemsā€¦ I was in my teenage years when I had my right arm in cast for some time. Itā€™s funny how quickly you can adapt to do some things with the other hand :zipper_mouth_face:

Luckily it wasn't my right hand. My love life would have suffered immensely. All kidding aside, I will ask for a plastic cast. Thanks!

Oh, now I see, unfortunately, a longitudinal fracture with a slight misalignment of the second metatarsal! I do not think there is need for surgical intervention, but definitely a plastic cast for 30 days.

I feel sorry for you man, and I hope you understand my bad English to Italian school.

Regards.

Sounds like a good time to get a comfortable seat in front of a work bench and do some serious modding! Be well Glenn.

You really know your stuff! Seriously, I have no idea what the bones are called, but I did see the misalignment. I was worried that might call for surgery, but I feel a little better now (even though the doctor might want me to have surgery) At least for the next day I won't be totally freaked out, thanks to you :)

Thanks buddy! I'm sitting in front of my computer with no place to go (until Friday) I'm a bit buzzed right now feeling no emotional pain. To me emotional pain is much worse that physical pain. That may sound weird, but it's true in my case. I handle the physical much better than the emotional pain. Does that make sense?

That second x-ray photo really shows what you did. Nasty break there and ChiX is most likely correct. Pretty good odds you will need some pinning to hold it together while it heals. Hard to believe you aren't in any pain from that. You are very lucky! Buck up, camper, it could always be worse. Surgery or pins/screws for that will be easy stuff. If it doesn't hurt now it won't hurt a whole lot more with surgery. In no way minimizing what you are/will have to go through (it totally sucks regardless) but be happy your break won't look like this after they do what they need to do.

External fixator for a few days until the swelling goes down...

Followed by a couple plates, 17 screws, and about 90 some odd stiches...

As they say, it could always be worse. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. Well...there are a few I would wish it on (or worse), but for the most part I wouldn't. ;)

Hey Richie!!! Sorry I didn't see your post. Thanks pal!!!! How about picking up a pizza with mushrooms?? That would be awesome! Just kidding pal. Thanks for the post!!! I'll be watching some "B" rated movies tonight thinking about you! You are a very cool awesome guy! Hope all is well with you!