Hi everyone,
I’m Ivan from Kiroff Flashlights in Bulgaria. I’m a commercial seller, so I’ll keep this thread here in the Commercial Sellers’ Spot.
I’ve been working on something for a while that I think some of you might find useful.
I built a free flashlight calculator suite with 14 different calculators covering:
• Candela → ANSI beam distance
• Beam distance → required candela
• Candela → lux at a given distance
• Lux → candela
• Lumens → candela by beam angle
• Candela → lumens by beam angle
• Battery mAh → Wh
• Theoretical runtime
• Efficiency (lm/W)
• Flashlight comparison by candela
• Throw comparison
• Lux comparison at a given distance
• Color temperature / Kelvin
• Meters ↔ feet
The idea wasn’t to make another generic “online calculator”.
I wanted to put the calculations that flashlight people actually use in one place, show the formulas/methodology behind them, and make the individual calculators easy to link to.
There are also direct links to each calculator, copy citation, copy result, shareable pre-filled URLs, and an option to embed individual calculators on another website.
https://fener-bg.com/page/flashlight-calculators
For example, this URL can open the Candela → Lux calculator with the values already entered and the result calculated:
https://fener-bg.com/page/flashlight-calculators?calc=candela-to-lux&cd=250000&m=100#candela-to-lux
I also made an English version specifically because I wanted the tools to be useful outside Bulgaria as well.
Since BLF has a lot of people here who understand this stuff much better than the average flashlight user, I’d actually appreciate some criticism.
If you spot a formula that is wrong, an assumption that isn’t valid, something that should be explained differently, or simply a calculator that would be useful and is missing — please let me know.
I’m much more interested in making the tools technically useful than in making them look impressive.
And yes, the project is on my own flashlight website, but the calculators are completely free and don’t require registration or anything else.
I’d be genuinely interested to hear what you guys think.