I like my kindle, but....

Another good reason to go with an android. By the way a good Chinese android runs about $100. Get one with HDMI out and you can watch movies on your TV.

Honestly the one I bought recently destroys my wife’s I-pod touch. It was $109. 7inch ISP screen, HDMI, 1gigx16 32 mini slot. Not that I use it to replace my desktop but it could in a pinch. Mostly it’s just a portable fun machine that I watch movies on plugged into my TV.

My advice. buy a good android.

iPads are not for replacing desktops, nor laptops!
They are fun, but when you need to “work on a computer”, they fail badly.
They might be okay for watching movies and do some emails, but that’s about it.
Imagine doing some photo editing, movie editing, accounting, writing essays etc.

Anyway, that was off topic.

Maybe you could get a cheap windows Xp laptop from Craigslist or so, and do it from there.
That’s what I would suggest.
I guess you can have them for as low as 50bucks?
I bought mine for 50.
Starts up in 45 seconds, and I’m on the web in another 5-10 seconds.
I don’t put much software on there, so it keeps it running smoothly.
It has a 1.3 Celeron processor and 768mb ram.
Still works good!

If you’re going for a cheap laptop a nice solution might be installing linux on it. That’s what I did some years ago, when antivirus systems were still able to cripple a laptop beyond hope.

Lubuntu is pretty light, and Crunchbang is even lighter (though somewhat minimal).

But you can root the Kindle, surely? It has HDMI port too. Does it have a microSD slot?

But, cant you buy a sd plug in for the charging port?

Or even a little netbook, like the early Asus Eee models.

A networked memory card might let you upload to a phone/tablet. Course, I have no idea on price for those so the RP might still be cheaper.

Those go for 50-100 dollars. Eye-fi makes them. :slight_smile:

You could visit a net cafe if this is only going to be an occasional thing.

But as others have said, tablets are not desktop replacements.

(A decent Android tablet will be miles closer than any iPad though. iOS has just way too many artificial task restrictions and limitations for iToys to be considered as stand-alone devices.)

And so does SanDisk - they have 4GB model for $90 and 8GB model for $110.
(obviously purchasing the 4GB model makes no financial sense at all)

If you have your email set up on your device, you can email photos and put them in a file on your Kindle.

+1

Cheers for all your suggestions, but this rooting stuff is just a bit over my head at the moment…instead Ive found an old Acer netbook in the free-ads that should do the job. Will pick it up at the weekend for £10

Thanks again :slight_smile:

How about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Cable-Galaxy-Toshiba-Archos/dp/B0064GZAIQ/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

And a card reader? Might req root on some devices, but might be the simplest solution.

Yep that’s what we suggested him but it definitely needs a root on a kindle so he choosed the easiest way and bought a laptop.
That is also necessary for some Internet sites which don’t work on a mobile browser properly…so it’s always difficult to just have an tablet…