I need a Headlamp for Fuel Cell /Fuel Work inside an aircraft.

OK so I want to get a decent headlamp so i can work inside a fuel tank of an aircraft. My budget is less than $60 and I would like to be able to see far enough to see where I’m crawling around or in, but bright enough to do up close work. I really don’t want a big bulky and heavy headlamp as i have to wear this in tight confined spaces. Battery life should be good enough to last me a full 8 hour shift. I used my co-workers Princeton tec remix and like it as it as flood and throw from 2 different lights. I also thought about a UltraFire H2b as it only takes 1 AA, but would like the communities opinion on which like and why. THANKS

would you not require something that is intrinsically safe?

I would have thought so too. :~

Welcome to BLF, Disbjon! :party:

it does not have to be intrinsically safe as I won’t be working in a “hot” tank that requires it.

If your budget is $60 then you could get a Zebralight H51w from Wallbuys with the discount code in this thread. It has modes you can set and is smaller than it looks. Runtime on medium mode 12 hrs using Sanyo Eneloop.

I’m considering the new fenix AAA headlamp
The hl10? I can’t remember the model name, but it looks extremely light and is $30 I believe?? It looks like the beam is floodier than the sc51, with a bigger spot, which is better for close up work

The HL10 is cute, but the runtime offered isn’t ideal, unless you are prepared to change the cell several times (thinking about disbjon using it for his 8 hr shift):

What dimensions is the fuel tank on this aircraft? I was thinking you may need something with a little flood for a bit off peripheral vision?

petzl headlamp has certifications on the safety issue that might occur in hostile environment…

+1

great light

Thank you for all your replys.

The average size of the integral tanks are about 2.5 feet wide by 2 feet high being long enough to crawl around. The kind of work in all tanks would be like inspections, maintance/removing & replacing valves/pumps, removing and installing plumbing and working fuel leaks…

The bladder section being marginaly bigger being 5-3 feet wide by 4 feet high. I will be lacing bladders with this light also. Lacing a bladder is like lacing your shoes except its a big black heavy rubber in the shape of a rectangle and your inbetween the rubber and the wall.

Also a indicator like a dimming light that the battery is low would be helpful would hate for the light to die without warning…

Again thank you for your opinions they are helpful in finding the right light for the job…

Zebralight H51 / H51w / H51F / H51Fw / H51c / H51Fc / etc. Probably the best headlamps on the market. They’re $64 retail (incl. shipping) and can be found for less sometimes. I find the 2.2lm and 7lm settings on my H51w to be very nice for navigation and up-close work, and it lasts 72 hours or 26 hours, respectively. The 26lm mode may also be useful for you, and it lasts 8 hours.

I use dimmer settings a lot too (0.06 to 0.34 lumens, depending on which light), but I’m photosensitive. I assume someone with more normal eyes will want one setting brighter than me, on average.

To quote another thread here:

Also, see another thread here for some easy ways to make a ZL H51 more versatile.

FWIW, I would have preferred the H51 or H51c instead of H51w, but I didn’t know at the time that I dislike low-CRI tints warmer than 5000K (4500K 90+CRI is just about perfect, but the H51c’s 4000K 85CRI might be nice).

Looks like I’ll be purchasing a zebralight h51w tomorrow will keep yo posted on how I like it